The Earth's Last Day

Well whaddaya think?

• Two thumbs up! Excellente!

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • One thumb up: Pretty good but not great.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • One thumb up, one down: It's alright I guess.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • One thumb down: Sorry, unengaging.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two thumbs down! This sucks!

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

Pi Seti

Half a league onward
:nuke: :egypt: :nuke:

At the dawn of the fifth day of the second week of the seventh month of 2021, the world breathed its last gasp. That was the day Egyptian President Cleopatra sought the destruction of Germany.
Egypt had historically been an aggressive civilization. In the BC era, they had with the help of Roman forces invaded and overtaken their northern Greek neighbors. Without negotiation or diplomacy the chariots had come, stormed the Greek city states one by one, and burnt each to the ground. As the last of Greece gave way under the burning heel of Cleopatra, she had already set her sights on the vast expanses of Roman territory to the west. With unbeatable industry and infrastructure, the Egyptian juggernaut rolled on into Rome without rest. While the resistance was at first stiff, the Roman Empire was also burnt to the ground five centuries later. But even before victorious Egyptians entered the gates of Rome, the Iroquois on a far southern continent were too being steadily massacred. It seemed there was no end to the territorial ambitions of Cleopatra, whose greedy eyes turned ever elsewhere. Another entire continent was aggressively colonized and added to the Egyptian Empire during the 1800's, propelling the nation beyond its adversaries in every regard. By the time of the Iroquois collapse, Egypt held sovereinty over four vast continents, with a fifth within its grasp. Every civilization the Egyptians had encountered throughout history had been feverishly devoured.
But they were not alone in their appetite for destruction. A world away, the Germans too had historically found such lust for the death of other civilizations. Their hapless English and Russian neighbors prooved no match for their aggressive ancient invasions, and they had themselves enveloped and assimilated an Iroquois continent west of their homeland. While they hadn't the technological edge of the Egyptians, their armed forces had historically been the largest and most powerful in the world. Cleopatra had always harbored intense jealousy over Germany's prominent position. And so it was that Egypt had always sought Germany's destruction.
The two powers had once done battle, but it was long ago in an age when intercontinental war was infeasible and insignificant. The advent of nuclear weapons, however, irreversibly changed this.

---More is on the way---

.......... Interesting
but NUKES! ALRIGHT! LETS DO THIS! WOOHOO! NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE NUKE!!!! ALRIGHT LETS DO SOME NUKIN!!!.... Heh sorry but just livin up too my name ya know

cool can't wait till the egyptions nuke the germans whooohoooo!
o and one thing could u make it more detailed????

The week before the world ended, Cleopatra had found herself in her thirty-story personal office building, reviewing the situation with her generals.
Admiral Jazzat spoke first, "Their navy is no match for ours, Miss President. Even if they were to be fully mobilized, which they aren't, they would still fall prey to our task forces of carrier-launched bombers and AEGIS cruisers. And without a navy, Germany will have no chance at reaching our shores."
"I am already aware of that, you fool", said Cleopatra. "They could never successfully invade us. Only their ICBMs pose any real threat to us."
General Shivat interjected, "Yes, this will definitely not be a war fought by land or sea, or even from the air. This will be like no war we have ever before fought. We will hit them, and hit them hard, dealing them a blow from which all of Germany will never recover."
A skeptical military advisor now spoke up. "I still suggest we exercise caution. If or when we strike, we must leave no room for German remilitarization. Their nuclear arsenal is substantial, and their capacity daunting. There would be much to fear from any German retributive strikes." There was a major skeptic for every important counsel meeting Cleopatra held, and she often had no patience for such insecurity.
She contempt in her response was unmistakable. "Fear Germany? Fear war?! What treasonous talk escapes your lips! Why should I fear a war with any nation, not to mention this 'Germany'?! The suffering of Egypt will be nothing compared to the glee I will take in observing their destruction!!"
The General tried to calm the situation. Cleopatra had been known to order executions over lesser disagreements. "Nevertheless, your majesty, we must consider the ways in which this will affect our lands. Nuclear weaponry, no matter where it is used, has been proven by scientists to negatively and irreversibly impact the world's environments. It would be wise for us to consider that side-effect of this war."
"Gentlemen", announced Cleopatra, "I lust only for Germany's utter destruction. We have the means. And I have the will. Now is as good a moment as any to end this mockery of a world power once and for all!"
"I must concur," spoke Vice Chancellor Andraus in unusual gregariousness. "Our factories have been stockpiling nuclear arms for decades. Germany has just recently gleemed this technology, and already they have a large enough arsenal to pose a threat to us. I say we either strike them now with relative impunity, or they will eventually outproduce us."
And so the vote was held. Most who disagreed abstained. Only two counsil members voted against Cleopatra, and not surprisingly, those two never saw the light of day again.
This is not to suggest that Cleopatra was without her worries. Unbeknownst to the whole of Egyptian society, factories had been producing more than just ICBMs throughout the last decade. Cleopatra secretly knew the cold truth about this war: that it would be the last one man every fought on this world. She had ordered a massive starship constructed in Egypt's orbital shipyards in the sky; a contingency plan she had little doubt she would soon pursue.

nice Im gonna gusse its only Egypt ond Germany left now?

That's cool!!!

The attack began at high noon Egypt Standard Time, as a world away the German continent peacefully slumbered in the midst of night. Egyptian spy sattelites had been expertly programmed to scramble any German orbital reconnaisanse, leaving the Germans temporarily blind for the duration of the strike. Thirty nuclear submarines simultaneously launched thirty tactical warheads at key productive ports around the German continent, and the Germans never saw them coming. The German coastal cities were the first to be annihilated, erasing any chance of German naval supremacy by destroying the majority of their ships in port. On General Shivat's orders, all submarines were to then enforce a blockade on German ports, sinking any surviving ships attempting to reach sea. The submarine captains knew their ships were expendable at this point, and so engaged crippled enemy destroyers and battleships at will.
Cleopatra and Vice Minister Humza Draco were in the High Command Center watching reports of the action. The effects of the initial tactical strike surprised even Cleopatra. Forty-five million Germans were dead, and satellite imagery revealed a dark ring of fallout highlighting the German continent, steadily moving inland with help from the coastal breezes. She had ordered three tactical warheads dropped on the coastal German capitol of Berlin. With any luck, Bismarck's home was by now demolished and the chancellor dead, throwing the German High Command into a state of confusion and chaos.
She emerged from her calculating thoughts to room of shocked advisors and generals. The air of guilt about her was unmistakable.
Draco was the first to speak. "My President, I lust for the destruction of Germany as much as or more than any other Egyptian save you. But I still cannot help but feel shame at the what we have just done. Perhaps we should consider forgoing the rest of this operation. Half of their country is a wasteland. What more could we possibly prove?"
"I'm afraid it's a bit late for second thoughts, Vice Minister," she responded thinly. "We must finish what we've started. Leaving even one German city intact would make them a future threat to us. We will finish what we have started, and I will hear no more utterances of regret from you."
"As you wish, Miss President." Draco said nothing more.
The second strike occurred less than ten minutes later. Sixty-three ICBMs lifted off from various sites across the five Egyptian continents, all headed towards what was left of Germany. While roughly half of the ICBMs were targetting German cities, the rest were programmed to destroy known army formations, industrial infrastructures, and strategic resource sites.
Cleopatra and her Cabinet members watched from the Command Center's balcony as six such ballistic missiles left their silos in Thebes, lifting up into the afternoon sky and covering parts of the city in exhaust. She was almost sad to see them go; they had been a part of the Thebes landscape for decades.
Foreign Relations Provisioner Atlak rushed to her side, exasperated and his face covered in sweat. "It's the Aztecs, Miss! They've declared war on us, and announced just moments ago that they would aid Germany in any military responses!"
At a glance by Cleopatra towards the Head of Intelligence Abram El-Haram, he piped up,' Their arsenal is in its infant stages, but they do have around seven ICBMs. Combined with what's left of Germany, I'd say we're looking at a substantial nuclear retaliation. This in addition to the fact that their infastructure is completely intact."
In an instant, the military situation had turned from promising to troubling. Unfortunately, no one had forseen international involvment in this war of attrition. The Egyptians had always been withdrawn from worldly affairs, thinking themselves to be above such pettiness. Now their isolationism may have cost them their country. Cleopatra turned to the rest of her forlorn comrades.
"As you may have already known, I'm ordering you all to stay planetside through this. You should be safe in the underground bunkers here until the radioactive dust settles, and will have comunication with all of Egypt throughout the war. Vice Minister Draco will be the Acting President pending my return. But before you ask, I have no plans for ever stepping on the soil of this world again."
With those somber words, she departed to the conference room to relay Germany's destruction to the Egyptian people.
The Minister of Populous Affairs publicly announced the war with Germany only after the nation had been reduced to radioactive rubble. He also announced the results of the military operation. Every German city had been levelled, and two thirds of all German citizens had been killed. Many Egyptians danced through the streets in jubilation, while a great majority were simply shocked beyond words, unable to comprehend what had happened. Still others were close to tears, for they knew a similar fate would befall Egypt.
Cleopatra then sent out her rehearsed Presidential Broadcast on the airways. It was intentionally brief; she knew she would need time to get to Shuttle Force 1 and lift off before the retaliation came.
"Men and women of Egypt, here marks a day like no other, when this country's destiny has put it at odds with a historical nemesis. Throughout time, the German people have demanded of us no less than their own eventual destruction. They have often beckoned us to action with their ceaseless extortions, aggressive behaviors, and outright hostilities. We have in the past suffered at the heels of their bullying, but will tolerate it no more. With the knowledge that war between our two nations was an inevitability, it was the decision of the High Council to take active steps to curtail the threat posed to us by Germany. With a first strike at 11:05am, Egypt Standard, we have hereby formally declared war on the nation of Germany. The great Egyptian Empire will undoubtedly pay a price for our actions, and I call on all of our citizenry to bear this burden with honor and dignity. But with the help of everyone, Egyptian supremacy will live on. That is all."
Her speech sent a deep chill through the spine of every listening Egyptian man, woman and child, as did her hasty departure from the press room before the cameras were turned off. Everyone knew something was wrong, but the air of nationalistic furvor throughout the country was still high, as a potential enemy of Egypt had been seemingly neutralized. But Cleopatra had not told her country's innocent civilians the truth. Most German missile silos in their protective bunkers had survived the two Egyptian strikes. Egypt would momentarily be dealt a blow by the very sword it had wielded.

Dude, that was too awsome! But how did the Egyptians get their intelegence? if they nuked berlin, the spy should be dead.

:egypt: =:king:

Remaining loyal to the end, Cleopatra's cabinet staff saw her to her shuttle, saluting her as she boarded. Humza Draco, now the President-in-Standing, demanded one final word with her.
"I would just like to know, Miss President, if you have any advice you feel might help me see Egypt through this coming calamity."
Cleopatra looked quizzically at him. "Are you joking? I always relied on you for advice." But she saw he was quite serious. "Very well. I suppose I don't need to remind you, but stay in the bunker until all the fallout is gone. Also, don't hesitate to execute anybody you feel doesn't mesh well with you. It always worked for me. Anyways, I really must be going now."
"Certainly. Enjoy life on Alpha Centauri. It'll undoubtedly be quite a bit better than life here, for a while at least."
On the shuttle Cleopatra said farewell to the homeland of Egypt. During the rapid ascent into the upper atmosphere, she heard over the air news of the retaliation's arrival. Gazing out the side window, she could make out the fiery descent of multiple warheads into the atmosphere. It suddenly occurred to her that, with the entrance of the Aztecs, Egypt had virtually no chance of surviving the coming war. Germany, reduced to the level of a Stone Age civilization, would obviously have no capacity to produce new nuclear weapons to threaten Egypt. But no one had foreseen the productive power of the Aztec cities. With the industrial output of half of Egypt's cities destroyed by the retaliatory strike, the Aztecs would be in a position to match or even out produce the charred remains of Egypt's infrastructure in the coming years. Regardless of the outcome, Egypt would be in no position to celebrate Germany's destruction, and would indeed be lucky enough to survive this conflict. Of one thing she was sure: the best any nation could do in this war would be to survive. There would be no victors.

The radio broadcasts from Earth were ceaseless throughout Cleopatra's travel to Alpha Centauri. Aboard the starship Maximus I, she learned of the gradual fate of the world she had so eagerly plunged into nuclear holocaust. The absolute ferocity of the initial strike against Germany had left more than just ruins. Only a sixth of the country's initial population had survived the ensuing radiation sickness, and more died every day from cancer. Firestorms had sent dust and ash into the upper atmosphere, producing perpetual cloud cover over the entire continent and endless fallout permeating every major weather pattern. The counter-strike on Egypt, while less severe, had been equally tragic. Egypt's most populated cities had been targeted, resulting in the deaths of thirty million citizens. Egypt's industrial capacity had also been crippled to the point that not even the country's world-famous miracle workers were effective at clearing the devastated lands and restoring prosperity.
This did not keep Egypt from militarily dominating the post-apocalyptic world. The enormous Egyptian High Seas Navy ruled the oceans, and carrier-based air strikes did much to limit the coastal production of the Aztec Nation.
Eventually, however, every nation shared one fate. Global warning brought the world's production to a standstill, and neither Cleopatra's beloved Egypt nor Azteca could afford the resources to sustain their production of nuclear arms. Every few years, a single ICBM would launch and decimate one city or another, but even these rare cases eventually ceased altogether. When the dust settled twenty-nine years later, everybody had lost.
Due to relativity, Cleopatra had learned of this surprising fate in just under six months of space travel. Reading the last earth side broadcast from her Presidential Quarters, she suddenly remembered why she had signed the order to bring a contingent of colonists aboard with her. They were now officially the only remnants of humanity left. With them she planned to forge a new empire among the stars. It was a new beginning, one that filled her with excitement.
Her thoughts were suddenly shattered by the presence of a man at the door to her quarters. She wondered how he had gotten past the guards. He had a pistol in hand.
"President Cleopatra of Egypt, you are hereby under arrest for crimes against humanity."
"Excuse me? Who are you, and how did you get in here?"
The man continued unabated, "You shall be held in custody pending a formal hearing by representatives of the people of New Egypt."
"Guards! Arrest this man and take him to the Detainment Block."
Finally her personal entourage appeared from outside her quarters. Where had they been, and how had they let this upstart give them the slip? They walked toward him with weapons drawn, then past him, and trained their weapons on Cleopatra.
She was suddenly filled with both bitterness and fury. "I see. So this is a mutiny then. And under whose orders are you committing this treasonous act?"
"I'm not at liberty to discuss that. But I must warn you, I have authority to shoot you should things be made any more difficult than they already are."
She was beside herself with rage. "War was an inevitability, you fools! If we hadn't struck first, the Germans would have simply waited until they had the upper hand! By destroying them, I saved Egypt! Can't you see that?"
"I urge you once more to come with us, ma'am," spoke the officer with a stony voice. "I won't ask you a third time."
There was a lengthy pause. Finally, valuing her life above all else, Cleopatra acquiesced, and was seen out of her quarters. It appeared the future of Egypt, and indeed of humanity itself, had fallen into the hands of another. And Cleopatra, like the world she left behind, would soon breath her last gasp.

She deserved it.GREAT STORY!!!!!!!!!!!

gr8 story, never like nukeular war its only good if its 1 sided in ur favour :D

I hope everyone enjoyed my story. This is based on one of the first Civ3 games I played. In the real game, I allied with the Aztecs against Germay and then knocked them off. With the SDI I only lost two cities and then won by way of the space race. I thought this variation of the scenario would have been more interesting though.

i ALWAYS never ever build manhattan project unless 2 things happend: 1: i built Strategic Missle Defence s.w. (it should be Strategic Laser Defence, though); 2: there is something equal to the Nazi Blitzkreg happening to my empire.

that story is excelent. the only way it woulda been better was if she would have been shot or maybe self destructed the ship if she coudlent rule it or somthing. talk about a heartless person lol :) why dotn you make another one based on some of your other games?

I love to kill civs too! Ally with me and we'll rule the earth together! :D

this is one of the better stories, can't wait for more

i like the way you kill off ... yourself. Great story. At first i thought you were playing the germans and those evil Egyptians were threatning to destroy your world.

But you did yourself!

I hav yet to fire my first nuke in civ (been playing since the original civ when i was 12). but then again only since a month or two i got the feel for really playing this game. Conquering worlds. Have won my first game in a decade i guess. I always bore out of my chieftain games. so i tried a warlord game and without finishing (the russians were destroying my nice german mountain towns with gazillions of old units), i went to Regent: and won. woehoew!
do you use nukes alot?
1.doesn't the AI start hating you.
2. What about the polution?
3. and the moral issue, i couldn't face the nice folks of my new found Paris capital, if i had just obliterated the English capital. it's just wrong! not? anyhow, that decicion is now thousands of years away so.

Top Bottom