The editor again and again...

Originally posted by Brad Oliver

He made such a statement a while back. The gist of it, IIRC, is that future support hinged on how well the editor was received. The post was made to this forum.

Brad

I'm kinda interested on how well the editor will be received as well. The Mac Modding community is growing in proportion with the overall Mac community, but it's been spotty in the past. More recently, we've had better efforts -- I think of the Mac fans modding for "The Sims".

In retrospect, I'm kinda bummed I never posted my old sci-fi (SF for you purists) conversion for Civ2 before I lost it. There were a few things I couldn't work out (like making the color table corrections able to work in Photoshop under OS9) and getting it out and letting other people hack away at it could've made it better and taught me how to do the things I couldn't figure out.

Personally, I have high hopes for the Civ3 mac mod community. I look at it this way: the Mac is known as the machine for creative professionals. With any luck, some of those artistic geniuses play Civ3. No Picasso am I, but I know I certainly won't be as shy to post maps or bics for Civ3 (not going to make the same mistake I did for Civ2. Nosiree, I'm going to make entirely new mistakes for Civ3...)

I'm tossing around posting both a resource pcx mod I did and a tweak to another guy's grasslands irrigation graphics (Zeb at zeb_fisher@yahoo.com) to work nicely on plains and desert (with a few actual changes to increase visual recognition of the underlying territory).

Bring it on, Brad, and be proud of what happens.
(shoot, now I really have to post something)
:yeah:

Originally posted by dojoboy
Does backing up the Civ3 mod.bic simply mean to make a copy and move it to a folder? Does it need to be moved out of the Civ3 folder?

Just making a copy is good enough. During my time messing with the rules under VPC, I just called my backup "c3mb orig" (short, of course, for "civ3mod.bic original") and left it in the main Civ3 folder. Worked fine.

Originally posted by dojoboy
Does backing up the Civ3 mod.bic simply mean to make a copy and move it to a folder? Does it need to be moved out of the Civ3 folder?

Like Beamup mentioned, making a copy is fine. You only have to move it to another folder if you plan on keeping the name the same. Just to avoid confusion, for instance, I keep a "Firaxis originals" folder and put my pcx files in there should a graphics mod not work out.

You don't have to move an original file completely out, but you do have to move it into a subfolder (but again, only if you keep the name is the same). As best I can tell, and unlike some programs, the Civ3 engine works by finding files based on their names, not their type or creator codes.

Originally posted by ejday

(Blah, blah, blah... [snip])
(shoot, now I really have to post something)
:yeah:

Okay, since I opened my big wazoo ( :D ), I thought I'd lay it on the line and actually post something. Probably not the first Mac-created mod, but it's a first for me in this venue. Check it out and tell me what you think. You can find it in Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION III > Civ3 - Creation & Customization > Completed Modpacks > Graphics Modpacks, under the "Quick-look resources."

Or, I suppose you can take the easy way:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33715

Now, if I only had an editor...
EJ
(Muaahahahahahaha!)

Top Bottom