1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Endless Power of China

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by DeaExMachina, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Scaphism

Scaphism Boondoggle

Taking a lightly defended city isn't a big deal - one stack is as good as another for easy targets.

I'd make it a city with 60% cultural defense, walled, on a hill, that can produce another longbow every 2-3 turns.

The real advantage of cho-ku-nus is that you get them before Maces and Trebuchets.

A "more realistic" test would have the maces and trebs facing a slightly more advanced and better garrisoned city.

A decent sized stack for the era would have around 10 attackers minimum, with 4 accuracy promoted catapaults. Ideally they are not attacking at all - they're there to remove city defenses. Trebuchets get city raider promotions, not barrage.

The point of the test (I assume) is to take a highly defended, strategically important city and be able to continue the campaign. It's not to simply take out one city.

You're likely to face 5 or 6 longbows and maybe a few axes/swords or regular archers. If they have catapaults of their own, the drill-promoted Cho-ku-nus are at at further advantage since they are resistant to collateral damage.

Entering borders at a 60% defense city means crossing at least two tiles, maybe 3. That means expect at least one more whipped unit and maybe reinforcements coming via the roads. So make it 6-7 longbows, with another coming in 2 turns if the city isn't taken.

I don't think the test would have to be done 20 times - 3 or 4 times would be enough to give a good indication of which stack preserves more hammers.

2. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

Okay Relisting Variables

DEFENDING CITY
    -Hilled, Walled, 60% Culture Defence
    -7 Longbows for Chuks and 10 for Maces
    -Longbows have CG2

Chuks
    -Approximately 10 Chuks
    -CG1 and Drill 3

Maces/Trebs
    -7 Maces
    -2 Trebs
    -Both have CR 2

Anyone else want to make a change?

3. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Presumably have hammer equivalents for CKNs and maces/trebs; therefore they should face the same number of LB defenders. In terms of promotions you could try protective CKNs (CG1, Drill 3), vs Agg Mace/Treb (C1,CR2/CR/Acc) vs protective LBs (CG3, drill 1).

4. Bureaucracy

Bureaucracy Chieftain

Reading the comments on how over-powered Cho-ko-nos are has me laughing.

At one time the forum was full of how over powered the Pratorians were, then the next month it was how over-powered red coats were. Every month it's something else, isn't it? At least we finally got out of the phase now about how over-powered catapults were. But now we are back to chinese crossbowmen again it seems.

Just last month, the BTS forum had a gigantic thread on how airships were the most over-powered unit in the game, and how it was crippling Civ IV, and needed to be removed or have a superior counter unit to prevent it from breaking the game. And before that, it was bombers, and then stealth-bombers, and etc.

What is going to be the next over-powered unit in the game by next month? Anyone want to start taking bets on it? Maybe someone will re-discover how the balista elephant is the ultimate over-powered unit.

5. kcmarkwell

kcmarkwell Chieftain

Cho ko nos are not overpowered, but are extremely effective. The only counter to a monster chokono SOD is a bunch of Horse archers and most people dont bother building too many of those. I regularly use this strat in MP and have rarely ever lost with it (in fact, i dont think ive ever lost with this strat).

6. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

Ahg! Attempted to make the WB scenario but after putting a lion into a stack of Promoted LBows I gave up. Anyone with more WB expierience please take this I am completely lost on how to build a stack of promoted units without going crazy.

7. Tecibbar

Tecibbar unliving

Am I missing something here?

As far as I know, Cho Ko Nu doesn't do as much damage as catapults, am I right?

8. Bleys

Bleys Deity

No, and they cant withdraw like Cats either.

However, they are a very very powerful unit just the same. ANY collateral damage is a good thing. Get em up to Drill 3 and those first strikes are just lethal.

Overpowered? Maybe, but they are fairly balanced, due to the techs and Iron requirement. So far, of the 10 or so different civs I have tried, they are my favorite UU, though, even above my old favorite, Fast Workers.