The Microsoft Palladium case

If it get true as the article say. Then we are two steps closer to 1984.

Gredious: The problem is most people, by a comp, not thinking about it. And feel that the new, update system (like XP - hey I like this one too) is god. And to register programs over the net, auto through a server is all fine in one sense. But this as the article reads seam to go to far... making it impossible for you with your old computer to later install new programs, read files and so on.

And when they start to search through your system to find out if all your progs and files are approved and paid fore, you suddenly have no privacy... sure if you haven't paid for a product you have no right to install it (on the other hand I would never buy 3dMax, but like to play around with it – it don’t hurt them). But you see, to be able to check this, if my mp3 and avis and progs is considered as approved by the system, they have to search through my HD, and then they know about EVERYTHING I have stored on it.

And then we come to software that is not certified by a server, you wont be able to run this, therefore they say in the article that system like Linux that allows you to change the code by yourself will not be able to run on the computer cuz if you edit the code it won't add up to the registered product...

But the whole system sounds so 1984 that I can't see that it get approved, but then again Jon Ashcroft seam to have changed his mind between 1997 and now - I guess when you have the power you want more.

Not to mention software developers. I've created dozens of programs for my personal use, and to not be able to use any of them without permission from Microsoft and sending my code to them is something I won't put up with. It's mac or non-Palladium UNIX for me.

I look forward to a small but detremined community of neo-internetists in their informational autonomous zone. I will be there with the best of the rest. ;)

Top Bottom