The Monstrosity - Earth map 500x262 & The Monstrosity - Marathon edition

Hello Volman,

when will the map be playable with RARR 1.8? I am already eagerly waiting for it.

Hello Volman,

when will the map be playable with RARR 1.8? I am already eagerly waiting for it.
By the middle - end of March.

And I am telling you, you will see some similarities with today's world, as far as politics and tactics concerned with this map, and especially with RARR ... and even specific with marathon edition version.

I am currently working on creating a scenario using your giga earth map. I must say I really like it. I'm able to place cities of various countries on the map fairly close if not spot on where they are in real life.

Can't wait to actually play on this map but I've got a lot of work adding units, tech, etc. to my mod.

I am currently working on creating a scenario using your giga earth map. I must say I really like it. I'm able to place cities of various countries on the map fairly close if not spot on where they are in real life.

Can't wait to actually play on this map but I've got a lot of work adding units, tech, etc. to my mod.
Wait for the updated version that adds many refinements, fixes, resources.

I have already started work and by the end of March I will have it ready.

I am curious what you, the modders, do with this map.

I already saw Civinator's work and I really like it.

Wait for the updated version that adds many refinements, fixes, resources.

I have already started work and by the end of March I will have it ready.

I am curious what you, the modders, do with this map.

I already saw Civinator's work and I really like it.
Fantastic. Came here looking to ask when your next release would be! Excited for it!

By the middle - end of March.

And I am telling you, you will see some similarities with today's world, as far as politics and tactics concerned with this map, and especially with RARR ... and even specific with marathon edition version.
Hi Volman,

whats the status?

• This is very cool, thanks for sharing. I do have a few thoughts:
    Personally, I'd probably rather break up Sardinia and Corsica, and separate Sicily from Italy. It does curtail late-game Rail travel, but it increases the importance of Mediterranean navies.
  • I'd propose a few changes to Ukraine:
    • I'd change the Pivdenny Buh river to have an outlet at Mykolaiv, rather than deviating west.
    • I'd change the Dnipro to include the large basins near Dnipro, Kremenchyk, and Chernobyl
    • Let's remove the Dnipro's tributary in northeastern Ukraine. It's not important, and this cancels out the water I've added and should fit more with your philosophy of low-river usage.
    • I think this might capture the togopraphy of Crimea a bit more precisely, as well as its marginal quality for farming.
    • 1694741755074.png
    • Here's a tentative draft of my suggestions for Ukraine
    • 1694742599002.png
  • I think we can capture the Gelibolu Peninsula a little better like so:
    • 1694741989950.png
  • Some lakes in Turkey help it feel a bit more active, and I think Lake Van should be a bit larger
    • 1694742021980.png
  • This might be controversial but I would consider allowing Ivory on tundra, and putting one or two in Greenland. Walrus tusks were a major tradegood from there, and it adds a fun wrinkle to the economy.
  • I've touched up the caribbean, adding the Isles de Juventad, expanding Jamaica, and adding the lesser Antilles. I also added Key West to Florida, improved Andros island and Freeport in the Bahamas, and fit in Lake Nicaragua.
    • 1694742295439.png
  • South America + the Falklands looks great. I added the Galapagos
    • 1694742472293.png
  • If it were up to me, I'd probably add the Potomac around DC. I think that's worth adding. If you'd like, we can delete the Savannah river in Georgia to compensate.
  • I second @Quintillus saying California looks off. I'm going to need to tinker with it to understand better
  • I would add Bermuda, personally.
  • I would beef up Hawaii quite a bit, although I get the idea that maybe your strategy is to minimize islands to make the AI settle better? I honestly think islands are going to present better strategic depth if they're expanded, and even 1 tile islands will get settled regardless. Just my though though
    • 1694742988579.png

This is the kind of map I would *love* to work more on and collaborate on. If we could set up a team, I think this map could really become even more special. I've got more thoughts but I should keep this post halfway reasonable

Attachments

• 1694741857543.png
    1694741857543.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • This is very cool, thanks for sharing. I do have a few thoughts:
    Personally, I'd probably rather break up Sardinia and Corsica, and separate Sicily from Italy. It does curtail late-game Rail travel, but it increases the importance of Mediterranean navies.
  • I'd propose a few changes to Ukraine:
    • I'd change the Pivdenny Buh river to have an outlet at Mykolaiv, rather than deviating west.
    • I'd change the Dnipro to include the large basins near Dnipro, Kremenchyk, and Chernobyl
    • Let's remove the Dnipro's tributary in northeastern Ukraine. It's not important, and this cancels out the water I've added and should fit more with your philosophy of low-river usage.
    • I think this might capture the togopraphy of Crimea a bit more precisely, as well as its marginal quality for farming.
    • View attachment 672660
    • Here's a tentative draft of my suggestions for Ukraine
    • View attachment 672668
  • I think we can capture the Gelibolu Peninsula a little better like so:
  • Some lakes in Turkey help it feel a bit more active, and I think Lake Van should be a bit larger
  • This might be controversial but I would consider allowing Ivory on tundra, and putting one or two in Greenland. Walrus tusks were a major tradegood from there, and it adds a fun wrinkle to the economy.
  • I've touched up the caribbean, adding the Isles de Juventad, expanding Jamaica, and adding the lesser Antilles. I also added Key West to Florida, improved Andros island and Freeport in the Bahamas, and fit in Lake Nicaragua.
  • South America + the Falklands looks great. I added the Galapagos
  • If it were up to me, I'd probably add the Potomac around DC. I think that's worth adding. If you'd like, we can delete the Savannah river in Georgia to compensate.
  • I second @Quintillus saying California looks off. I'm going to need to tinker with it to understand better
  • I would add Bermuda, personally.
  • I would beef up Hawaii quite a bit, although I get the idea that maybe your strategy is to minimize islands to make the AI settle better? I honestly think islands are going to present better strategic depth if they're expanded, and even 1 tile islands will get settled regardless. Just my though though

This is the kind of map I would *love* to work more on and collaborate on. If we could set up a team, I think this map could really become even more special. I've got more thoughts but I should keep this post halfway reasonable
I've got more potential stuff to say, but let me know if what I'm saying is on the track you want. Maybe I'm focusing too much on islands for this type of map? I'd love to propose more ideas but only if it's actually in the direction you want the map to go

Hmm, as a North American, adding Key West seems to over-emphasize the Florida Keys to me. Part of it is the mental image of Florida/the U.S., where they're an afterthought, but as much is that until Flagler built the railroad out there in the early 1900s, at such expense that the route was termed "Flagler's Folly", they really were islands, not connected to the mainland. Not like, say, Manhattan or Long Island where there's just a small strait that a regular bridge can span.

I agree with the "one more east coast river" though. The Hudson might be the most important commercially, but the Potomac or the James would be centered geographically.

Not a European, but I like the proposed Gallipoli change.

Hmm, as a North American, adding Key West seems to over-emphasize the Florida Keys to me. Part of it is the mental image of Florida/the U.S., where they're an afterthought, but as much is that until Flagler built the railroad out there in the early 1900s, at such expense that the route was termed "Flagler's Folly", they really were islands, not connected to the mainland. Not like, say, Manhattan or Long Island where there's just a small strait that a regular bridge can span.

I agree with the "one more east coast river" though. The Hudson might be the most important commercially, but the Potomac or the James would be centered geographically.

Not a European, but I like the proposed Gallipoli change.
That's a fair point. Now that you mention it, it would probably be more interesting to fill southern Florida with marshes. That would allow an increase in potential (like adding Key West or Lake Okeechobee if desired), but it would be locked behind clearing out the marsh. It would follow a kind of historical development

Volman.me and all others, I would like to see more progress by this interesting world map. :thumbsup:

When people make plans for the future, God sees that plans and laugh.
Out of nowhere I had to make a surgery on September.

Anyhow, I had already completed the design of terrain for what I would think of ideal, back on July.

The update is here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/the-monstrosity.30055/update/33428/

Mountains and rivers and way off.

Trying to copy other maps for this matter does not work and Quintillus was right. The correct way to do the job was to only take into consideration only the maps, nothing else.

I am going to redesign them because, before the surgery I was actively playtest and design the map and found that my logic of placing mountains and rivers is wrong.

All of you people are correct for your recommendations. We will discuss that Sicily thing later (its an easy fix).

I found a very good source of river and mountain maps and my work will be based on these maps.

For rivers I found this site: https://ec.europa.eu/maritimeaffair....75;c=3328061.417133453,5703307.926085243;z=8

and for mountains this site: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...S&ll=43.26377093952769,32.674322189387155&z=5

That's a loooot of work so the following weeks you will enjoy quality updates of the map.

I have already prepared some rules for RARR compatibility and when the map finishes, it will take 1 day to convert it to RARR compatible.

I don't say anything about resources because that's the easiest thing. There are a lot of maps that accurately locate every resource of the Earth.

Next week I will post an updated map that has a good representation of Europe's terrain (hills, mountains and rivers).

I found an even better source of rivers topography and I follow that map for designing rivers.

If you take a look of the rivers on an earth map, you will see that a river exists every 100-150 Km.

For gameplay purposes, I cannot add so many rivers.

When I publish the updated map I will play test to see if I found a golden balance.

There are also many additions and fixes like adding many islands, Ireland and Cecily disconnected them from main land and much more.

Top Bottom