[R&F] The Next Expansion will re-work the Government Plaza and Governors, right?

I would rather they work on making existing buildings and governors more interesting then just adding stuff..

I would rather they work on making existing buildings and governors more interesting then just adding stuff..

Making Governors less boring is the top of my list. I think they work fine mechanically, but God they’re boring. I’d also really like to be able to pick some Governors multiple times (say, max 3).

I can’t see that being hugely powerful, and it would allow for more diversity. Being able to place Amani in multiple CSs would be very fun.

I wish we had different advisor names and portraits for each Civ.
They are so immersion breaking.

Found this concept art on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/7tbbz6/idea_and_concept_art_for_a_civilization_unique/
usa advisors.png

That's a lot of work for just a little flavor. I'd rather they spend their time on other things. This is something that can be covered by a mod.

That's a lot of work for just a little flavor. I'd rather they spend their time on other things. This is something that can be covered by a mod.

What I wouldn't mind seeing would be if there were unique governors. Either tailored to each civ individually, or simply that there were 5 or 10 different governors for each category. And even if their final promotion trees were the same, if they just differed in initial abilities, that would be cool. So, maybe the first Magnus that gets recruited get +50% on chops, but the second one would have like extra gold on riverside tiles, or bonus culture per city-centre buildings, etc... So basically, it gives another layer when recruiting governors, and maybe makes the game play a little differently if you're now racing for your next governor promotion before the Magnus you want disappears.

It's stuff like that I think that would truly make me pay more attention to the system, and I think would be a big leap forward.

Surely it’s just a few additional art assets. You could just have maybe 3 alternates for each governor, probably keeping the same base colours are rough design.

I mean, I’d like something more involved for Governors, but just some alternative faces would be plenty really.

What I wouldn't mind seeing would be if there were unique governors. Either tailored to each civ individually, or simply that there were 5 or 10 different governors for each category. And even if their final promotion trees were the same, if they just differed in initial abilities, that would be cool. So, maybe the first Magnus that gets recruited get +50% on chops, but the second one would have like extra gold on riverside tiles, or bonus culture per city-centre buildings, etc... So basically, it gives another layer when recruiting governors, and maybe makes the game play a little differently if you're now racing for your next governor promotion before the Magnus you want disappears.

It's stuff like that I think that would truly make me pay more attention to the system, and I think would be a big leap forward.

Agreed. Same promotions, maybe slightly different starting abilities. That’d be heaps.

Surely it’s just a few additional art assets. You could just have maybe 3 alternates for each governor, probably keeping the same base colours are rough design.

I mean, I’d like something more involved for Governors, but just some alternative faces would be plenty really.

40 civs x7 govenors = 280 unique portraits to be done. If you want unique abilites then they have to be added and balanced = lots of work.

Magnus' reign is at an end. No more chop multiplier for him. Look at the screenshots.
I don't know if that is meant as a fact statement or some irony. I truly hope it is the former. Anything to remove the prevailance of the boring chop chop mechanism.

Governors is definitely the thing I dislike most from the RnF expansion. Between the fact that most governors have super boring promotion trees, and tedious micromanagement in moving them around, I think this feature has turned out really badly.

I definitely feel some of the suggestions of this thread has a lot of merit. I love the idea of stationary Governors, that cannot be assigned to new cities. This would add a whole different aspect to choosing your governors that I find intriguing. This would offer us an actual element of specialized cities, and most of the governors could be given major buffs without breaking overall game balance.

I also really like the idea of each governor having a related district. My suggestion would be that the related district should not count towards the district limit in the city where the governor reigns, and that the district and all related buildings should have a severe production cost (like 50 %).

This idea could also be expanded to include national wonders - so that you can build the related national wonder in the city where the governor reigns, once you reach a certain threshold (size 10 or 15 for instance).

40 civs x7 govenors = 280 unique portraits to be done. If you want unique abilites then they have to be added and balanced = lots of work.

Sorry. I wasn’t clear. I meant each Governor should have two alternates (so 3 portraits for each governor). That’s just 21 portraits, or 14 extra ones.

Unique Governors for each Civ would be nuts!

I don’t really like that the Governors have proper names for flavor reasons. To me they make far more sense as archetypes than individuals. I wouldn’t mind having one or two options for each governor type.

The governor system definitely needs a rework, but I think this will have to be left to mods. Though it would've been nice to have significant updates and changes to the R and F systems, I think now they'll only be tweaked to make sense with Gathering Storm.

The loyalty bonus should be removed as I think others mentioned earlier, maybe only grant it to Victor. Then I think the governors should really be dedicated to improving cities, rather than say +20% building speed bonuses. I think this design was meant to encourage trade offs, but thinking about whether to move a governor for faster building speed or keep them in one city isn't much fun in my experience. I rarely move governors around unless forced to due to loyalty pressure.

I'd rather the governor system be integrated into the policy system somehow. I think there's a lot of stuff that could be done there to make both systems more interesting.

- Palace Upgrade. I can’t beleive FXS have gone to the effort of basically giving every Civ an unique palace, but then don’t let you upgrade palaces. Seems so obvious- and so easy to implement. I could easily imagine upgrading palaces to, say, a parliament or presidential palace or congress, perhaps based on your particular Civ (so, Japan might get a Diet etc.)
Awww. . . now you made me miss upgrading my palace in Civ III. Why'd you go and remind me, I couldn't miss what I didn't remember!

Civ 6 is going to hell, I remember all the people on this forum complaining about Civ 5, from Civ 4, and the horsehockye is only getting worse, far worse with Civ 6.

I thought I’d bump this again given Gathering Storm doesn’t seem to rework any of these things... which I find sort of extraordinary.

Looks like there will be some tweaking of Governors, and we’re getting new future tier governments. Policy cards will also be tweaked. ... But that’s it.

What gives? Do we think FXS is happy with loyalty, Governors etc. ? Are these things to be worked on in a future dlc or expansion? Maybe FXS wanted more time to think about these mechanics and or see how other mechanics work?

Well I think it wouldn't make sense to rework something if you don't have all the mechanics in place yet. I mean even if GT is the last expansion (and that's not clear as far as I know) they would have to wait at least a few months until they see what is working properly and what needs fix. And then, maybe, they will rework governors a little.

Top Bottom