things i learned while playing

sunrisereader

Warlord
great farmers can add any farming resource you have to a plot this includes ones you only have because of a trade with a AI, and they can be added to city plots(farmers take a long time to add a resource and in a city there safe from attacks during wars).

build a dog in each city to detect criminal units.
free promotions like heroic, lead by noble, morale, and the astrolgola promotions and others from some wonders/unique units get added to a merged unit if one of the 3 used has it so send a single unit with these promotions to city's where you make troops so all new troops have these promotions(one of the strongest is the greek heroic unit with heroic that after it upgrades to swordman can be used to give all your swordman heroic).

create a single city to build troops in where you settle down all the great pp that give +xp and all slaves there.

Started again with SVN so might be different from v35, still in BC's :D

Combat1 opens so very much in terms of non vanilla choices, like the basic terrain specialty promotion lines.
Each rank gives:
Double Movement in the specified terrain
+20% Attacks against the specified terrain
+50% Defence while in the specified terrain :eek:
Immunity for the specified terrains damage if damaging terrain is activated (Arctic and Desert currently)
The 4 flavors are:
Arctic: Tundra->Permafrost->Ice
Desert: Desert->Dune->Salt_Flats
Rugged: Barren->Scrub->Rocky
Wetland: Lush->Muddy->Marsh

Combat2 opens up Fieldsman line for grassland and plains, forging mounted troops into the holy terror they really were in the steppes until matured gunpowder weapons arrived.
Fieldsman 1
Double Movement in Grassland
+15% Defence Grasslands and Plains
Fieldsman2
Double Movement in Plains
+15% attack into Grasslands and Plains
Fieldsman3
+20% Attack and Defence in both Grassland and Plains

The Double Movement for Hills and Forest were taken out of the Guerrilla line and Woodsman lines respectively and then placed behind Combat2 as Hillsman and Forestry

Off the beaten track of combat promotions, enter the Dance (and I assume Music) of the Entertainers

If still in the Caveman era, build a Dance Hut and pop out a Story Teller. What you now have is a mini great person to build dance based city buffs.... who knew?

When the event log shows that citizens have built Demand for a Crafts Hut, what it's really saying is that people are seriously angry (unhappy based on population) until you build said Crafts Hut. When you first see this, it's nothing major, but as the cities grow, having the population demanding multiple buildings (like forges and markets) is a sure fire way to wind up past the happy cap for the first time.

As far as I know, the only way to see what a town's demands are is by going into the special tab of the buildings queue and scrolling down to Demands.

If there is an easier way to check demand, please let me know:)

Cheers!
-Liq

Demand buildings are new and experimental. At the moment the only way to see them is by looking at the Special tab of the buildings and scrolling down. Currently only the buildings in the Crafts Hut, Bazaar, marketplace and grocer are represented as these are the simplest having just an unhappiness effect.

Thanks for the fast reply and additional info so I do not need to look around paranoid I missed some new demand. I keep an eye on the CVN post to keep up with the changes, so no worries there; I fully expect the demand system getting fleshed out a bit eventually.

Incidentally, I guess it was grocers and marketplaces that popped up unexpectedly, not forges.

Cheers!
-Liq

If you are playing with "realistic culture spread" and you are frustrated that a certain resource failed to come into city borders after a border increase, you can build a watchtower on it to bring it inside your borders, and then replace it with the resource gatherer improvement. It will stay inside your border if the culture of the city is big enough that the resource would have been inside the border if it was on flat land. Once you research Mathematics, you can build forts that double as a resource gatherer.

There is a stickied Tips n Tricks thread. You won't be able to find this thread after a while. Just sayin'...;)

Top Bottom