Things that seem like they should give era points but don't

bbbt

Deity
I understand they didn't want to go to crazy with the era points, but to me there seems to be some gaps/surprising omissions.

National parks are the biggest one for me. They are usually a challenge (even with the Eiffel tower), and it seems to be era point worthy. And seems like it could have an attractive graphic.

Your first themed museum seems like another (and another nice sketch!).

There's almost nothing spy related (besides having a master spy). It seems like there should be one or two more along those lines - maybe stealing the suzerainship of a CS with create scandal or causing a city to go free city with the loyalty reducing mission?

I'm surprised they made digging up an artifact era point worth but not martyring an apostle for a relic.

This is more of a stretch, but placing the first UI from a CS (i.e. the Alcazar from Granada) - not as much as your own unique of course. Maybe I just want something more from them besides a pretty graphic ;)

A few more off kilter ones would be cool as well - i.e. you converted barbarians to your cause (i.e with an apostle or Boudicca), though now I'm just spit-ballling.

Discovering natural wonders, that one really surprised me.

Discovering natural wonders, that one really surprised me.

Well, you get +3 if you discover it first. You get nothing if you are not the first.

Personally, I think you should get +1 if you discover it later through active searching. Not being revealed by forming an alliance, that is.

I would like to other see Civ/Leader specific Historic moments. You already get one for first unit or improvement so why not get one for first road built between your cities via Traian or get +5 from all religions founded or capture a cavalry unit and so on ? It might not work as seemlessly for all traits but deep down we all love a ridiculous bug when we see it so thats no reason to try to implement it .

I forgot, do we have era points for first time building district type?

Conquering a city state ia historic moment you are capturing a another civilization city. You can get one if you conquer a major civ city b ut not a city state

Well, you get +3 if you discover it first. You get nothing if you are not the first.

Personally, I think you should get +1 if you discover it later through active searching. Not being revealed by forming an alliance, that is.

Slightly off topic, but I do like that only military alliances (?) now give visibility. Less stuff getting discovered because of an alliance.

Maybe your first ever district...? Other than that I'm pretty sure you get era points around districts where they start with lots of adjacency points.

Only once each for high adjacency districts.

That's another one, it'd be nice if high adjacency districts beyond the first gave +1 era score as well.

Of course, with more sources the thresholds should also increase, but more sources is more good.

I conquered the former capital of an AI civ that has been knocked out of the game and resurrected them.
I was amazed that that didn't give era points.

Maxed out a unit promotion tree and got nothing.

My starting warrior ended up as a level 7 musketman with every promotion... 0 era score....

You got one when he reached level 4. Two if he was the first.

Not 100% sure about these, but my sense is I didn't get era score for and should be included by my book:
- Winning a war in which I was not the aggressor
- Re-capturing a civilian unit stolen by barbarians (these moments can be historically culturally important for civilizations. Representing how much the leaders care for their people)
- Keeping the peace for a certain number of turns or eras (chaining 2 eras of peace should be seen as a great feat; few civilizations in history have ever managed this)
- Traversing a large body of water or a large (arctic)desert for the first time with a settler (resembling exploration prowess)

Having 5 alliances at one single point should probably award some era points as well.

And maybe more if there are actually six AIs fighting over those five alliance spots, but hey, that's a bit harder to judge.

Edit: And alliances leveling up, mostly for level 3.

We should get +4~+5 to get your buddies on the Moon, not a merely +1 which is less than destroying a barbarian camp at Classical Era.

Yeah, indeed. It's hard to think of more iconic, era-defining moments in modern history than the Manhattan Project, Sputnik and Apollo 11. The first (for completing the first Manhattan Project) gets no Era Score recognition; the two space projects get peanuts. Getting a Golden Age that late in the game takes a lot of points anyway - they could afford to be a bit more generous.

I was really disappointed about the National Park one. They are not easy to make and require a lot of faith, and perhaps some builders to remove improvements and plant forests.

And the Apollo Program for sure. All those projects give a measly +1. The same as digging up an artifact. Lame.

Things like the national park should get a point.
Other things should get less or none.

I do in general think that era points are too easy to come by. I don't think chaining golden ages should be a thing. One to two golden ages per game or for the better players stretching to three should be what we get per game.

*edit* fixed auto correction

Things like the national park should get a point.
Other things should get less or none.

I do in general think that era points are too easy to come by. I don't think chaining golden ages should be a thing. One to two golden ages per game or for the better players stretching to three should be what we get per game.

*edit* fixed auto correction

Agreed.

And barbarians is def one area they can reduce era points.

I can see the designers adding more events to the era score system going forward. Many of the above suggestions were probably left out until they were confident the era scoring would work out with players.

Top Bottom