Things that still irk me

Jaybe is right on this, they don't need to be adjacent, but they do need to be on the same mountain range (where two mountain hexes are defined as being in the same range if they are connected by other mountain tiles without gaps). So if you have a long mountain range, you can enter any entrance and instantly exit any other exit, which is really horrible design.
Oh? That kind of sounds like a bug to me. Weirdness.

Another irker: I do NOT like that military units use road/rail movement when in enemy territory. Should be a simple 1 movement per hex. I don’t see how bridges can be blown in the game, so river crossings would be still 1 MP on roads.

Another irker: I do NOT like that military units use road/rail movement when in enemy territory. Should be a simple 1 movement per hex. I don’t see how bridges can be blown in the game, so river crossings would be still 1 MP on roads.

Rail can't be touched, I guess, but can't a road be pillaged, and doesn't that disrupt the flow of traffic on it?

Also, if a railway is run through an encampment, I should think that would force enemy units to have to tramp through the wilderness to get 'round it, while your own units would sail through unimpeded.

It should be allowable to blow up your own bridges or railways to slow down an enemy advance, but I guess that ain't an option right now.

The risk of this happening has motivated real life decisions, though. To this day Poland and Russia use different rail gauges from the rest of the world because the Russians were terrified Germany would invade Russia by rail in the lead up to WW1. (In the huge complex of elements that combined to create World War 1, Russia and Germany's mutual paranoia of each other's perceived power was an important one--and not unjustified. Germany was growing in power at an unprecedented rate and made no secret that it felt its imperial ambitions were being stymied, while it could frequently be heard to be said in the Imperial Russian court that the fastest road to Constantinople lay through Berlin and Vienna.)

One thing that still irks me is the era score. It hurts so bad on "holding back" from doing things because I'm trying to avoid running up era score too much which will make it harder to get golden age next era. And those last 10 turns seem to just crawl by. I find myself hitting next turn on units to avoid doing things that would trigger era score. And all too often I forget necessitating a reload from an auto save. Like my current game I accidentally upgraded line infantry to infantry giving me 3 era score, had to reload that one. And having to stop building wonders as well.

That said, I'm still not that efficient at holding back. I certainly didn't hold back building +4 adjacency districts, only if it's within those last 10 turns do I hold back.

One thing that still irks me is the era score. It hurts so bad on "holding back" from doing things because I'm trying to avoid running up era score too much which will make it harder to get golden age next era. And those last 10 turns seem to just crawl by. I find myself hitting next turn on units to avoid doing things that would trigger era score. And all too often I forget necessitating a reload from an auto save. Like my current game I accidentally upgraded line infantry to infantry giving me 3 era score, had to reload that one. And having to stop building wonders as well.

That said, I'm still not that efficient at holding back. I certainly didn't hold back building +4 adjacency districts, only if it's within those last 10 turns do I hold back.

The concept is interesting but the execution is, as you say, incredibly bad

Another thing I modded out

There are many mods that do this iirc. Here are the lines I use for my personal one -- this deletes golden and dark ages entirely (making the era score meaningless):

DELETE FROM GameCapabilities WHERE GameCapability = 'CAPABILITY_HISTORIC_MOMENTS' ;
DELETE FROM GameCapabilities WHERE GameCapability = 'CAPABILITY_ERAS' ;

(remember in SQL semicolons are your friend -- the lines are typed exactly as they should be in full)

There are many mods that do this iirc. Here are the lines I use for my personal one -- this deletes golden and dark ages entirely (making the era score meaningless):

DELETE FROM GameCapabilities WHERE GameCapability = 'CAPABILITY_HISTORIC_MOMENTS' ;
DELETE FROM GameCapabilities WHERE GameCapability = 'CAPABILITY_ERAS' ;

(remember in SQL semicolons are your friend -- the lines are typed exactly as they should be in full)
That's going to be unintelligible to a person who doesn't know how to make a mod. They wouldn't know the first step of where to even type those lines up.

What was the mod?
I believe he is referring to this mod, which adds a lot of customization options in the set-up menu: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2492747881

That's going to be unintelligible to a person who doesn't know how to make a mod. They wouldn't know the first step of where to even type those lines up.

That was for the ones who do. You can literally insert those lines into your own mod and it will work. Otherwise a quick search on steam will reveal several mods that get rid of the golden age system, but of course they may not be updated for the current version.

That is a bit different. I would not want to remove dark ages and golden entirely - just that when you have enough era score for the current golden age any more should carry over into the next.

Yeah, really poor implementation. I would rather see something like a competition between players rather than fixed thresholds, so that top 25 % in each era gets Golden age, bottom 25 % each era gets Dark age.

That moment when precisely one AI gets an enormous science boost in the classical era - happens in every. Single. Game. Without. Exception.

That is a bit different. I would not want to remove dark ages and golden entirely - just that when you have enough era score for the current golden age any more should carry over into the next.
Yeah, really poor implementation. I would rather see something like a competition between players rather than fixed thresholds, so that top 25 % in each era gets Golden age, bottom 25 % each era gets Dark age.

It’s sad that a couple of randos spitballing on a forum can come up with far superior features in their spare time than the people who got paid to do it

I removed it because the AI cannot handle it at all, it’s not fun because it has munchkin mechanics all over it, and as a machinist poor design really irks me.

I don’t think era score carrying over to the next era is a good solution. It would quickly ensure permanent Golden Ages for everyone.

Not if you scaled it properly. Does overshooting it actually work against you? I have’nt checked but it wouldn’t surprise me

The alternative is the gamey nonsense we have now.

I don't think overshooting actively penalises you. If you overshoot by 30, it seems to just add 30 onto your next score. Obviously, you've wasted that 30 which sucks and is a penalty in and of itself, but it's not actively punishing you.

Top Bottom