Thoughts on Humankind from Gazebo

Gazebo

Lord of the Community Patch
Supporter
Hello all!

(I'm cross-posting this here from the G2G forums VIP required sorry!) as I know a lot of civfanatics regulars browse this subforum but not the Amplitude one.)

It's me, Gazebo! Some of you may know me from my work on Civ with Vox Populi, if not, no worries. I've been involved in civ modding for the better part of a decade, and strategy games for far longer than that. I became a VIP a few months back, and, while I put quite a few Humankind games under my belt on the beta, I wanted to wait until Gold to put my thoughts on paper here in the forums. I tend to read other's comments far more than I post, however with the sheer quantity of excellent commentary around here my thoughts may not be as original as I hope. In any case, I want to preface my critiques with praise for what the devs have done with Humankind: it would have been far easier to clone civ and repaint it, however you've created a very original and unique take on the historical 4x genre. So congrats, have a beer, you deserve it!

Now, on to my thoughts. I do hope some of these can spur conversation and potentially help make Humankind an even better experience. Again, I'm not claiming originality here, simply noting the things that have consistently stuck out to me as rough edges on the overall experience.

Gameplay

Overall game pace is too fast relative to number of things to construct/do

- Especially problematic in the early game (first 100 turns) - a 20% increase for star requirements for first 3 eras would not be amiss.

The stars you earn during an era should affect bonuses/penalties received when you advance era. I'll explain:

- The example that keeps coming to mind is the game Spore - in that game, the choices you made in an evolutionary era affected the attributes of your evolved creature in the next era. Humankind attempts a similar 'build your own civ' model, but the actual 'building' process feels a bit too arbitrary. If my people have known nothing but war for 3 eras, what would compel my people to suddenly drop their swords and become bookworms? There needs to be a traceable lineage of 'DNA' in your people, otherwise cultures feel, well, arbitrary.

- In this game, if you primarily earn stars through expansion and conquest, that should give you a benefit to choosing a warlike/expansionist culture in the next era, and a penalty if you choose an isolationist/diplomatic culture, and so on - forces players to 'role-play' a bit more overtly with their choice of culture

- Also, if you choose a warlike culture but fail to earn warlike stars during an era, that should disappoint your people/harm your fame.

- Ultimately, choice of culture should be a promise to your people, not a guarantee with no investment

Era advancement bonuses (especially construction options) should not be instant - in fact, they should unlock gradually as a result of your actions during the era

- Perhaps 'advancement' to a new culture should trigger at specific actions during an era, i.e. the military unit only unlocks after gaining a military star during that era, or a science district when you gain a science star?

- This would make the era shift feel a bit more earned and thematic.

Benefit of cultural 'conversion' of foreign provinces not clear nor obviously beneficial/damaging

Also not immediately obvious how to get more faith to upgrade religion beyond just 'more people' - needs to be more interactive and less passive

Impact of society choices, beyond the choice itself, not exactly clear (the sliding scales in the policy screen)

- The role of ideology seemed to have little/no impact on the game - it would be more interesting if there were drawbacks to going to the 'extremes' of the sliding scales and/or it unlocked special stars you could gain in an era

- Ideological axis is too easily swayed - less points per choice, perhaps?

- Cultural benefits/detriments could be tied to this scale, and/or the costs of stars. Something to connect this system to the rest of the game feels necessary, right now it feels tacked on.

Resources are problematic

- Option 1) Should tick up to a supply amount, not be a fixed value - too map RNG dependent

- The fact that I can be shut out of a construction because I've not expanded wide enough or the rest of the world is behind me feels unfair to tall advanced empires

- Option 2) Perhaps we should be able to 'double down' on improving a resource node? So I build one artisan quarter (which really should have unique names for luxuruy resources), then I can 'improve' it to gain additional resources from that node?

- Luxury resources are also fairly 'samey' - Civ has this problem too, not an easy solution. Perhaps resources should have fewer, but much bigger bonuses that change every era? Right now they're a bit underwhelming power-wise.

- Sources of non-resource stability are so plentiful that resource trading doesn't feel terribly necessary by the mid-game.

- Resource trading should be a bigger part of per-turn gold income than it currently is.

The map

Endless Legend's map is a cornucopia of interesting anomalies and features. Humankind's map, while beautiful, is extremely generic as it lacks these anomalies and benefits. Natural wonders are too infrequent a replacement - more 'minor tile bonuses' would really help liven up the map.

Game 'Feel'

Region names should not be set in stone before you settle them - the names should adapt to your current culture when you claim an outpost/settlement in the province. This would help empires feel more coherent.

Since most cities are settled in early game, should city names update too? Perhaps an event should fire each era where city names can either be retained for a fame bump, or changed for an influence bump?

Religions retain antiquated names as the game progresses - Shamanism in the industrial era? Each time you add a tenet to your religion the religion's title should automatically become less archaic.

Other civilizations should not be referred to as their civilization, but rather their leader's name - it is too hard to keep up with 5+ civs and their new cultures every era, and it disassociates players from their opponents

- Leader names should be more randomized

Cities don't really look like 'cities' - it is hard to tell administrative centers apart from their districts, and city size doesn't really translate onto the map very well. City centers should really grow/expand/modify based on population to help create the illusion of metropolises.

Empire development/change via culture a bit schizophrenic, especially during the quick early eras - would be more interesting to see cultures as a fusion, instead of a wholesale change

- i.e. not all buildings should transform into new buildings - should retain a mix of all era aesthetics in cities/districts

- Same with unit skin colors and aesthetics

UI

Infrastructure selection - predicted yield outcome after construction would be extremely helpful for figuring out which to build first

- It would be very helpful to sort infrastructure projects into categories based on yield (i.e. a 'military infrastructure' category, 'trade' category, etc.)

- Ideally there would also be more distinct upgrade trees - i.e. the interface would more clearly show 'upgrade tree' infrastructure versus one-off 'local' bonuses/penalties

Infrastructure selection/management is the one part of the game where my eyes simply glaze over - interactions are far too complicated for many, or far too underwhelming towards the mid/late game. In every game, I find myself simply toggling a 6+ long queue of infrastructure items just so cities will leave me alone.

Allowing for a separate queue of military units would alleviate this as well - if we could purchase/build units from within armies and have that be the 'queue' it would really breathe life into the early eras in terms of war. There's simply so much to build early on.

The 'fame' events (like a mars colony) are underwhelming visually - the rest of the game is a visual treat, but not these - not even any special artwork!

Last edited:
That's obviously a great constructive criticism.

Two things were you might have missed stuff:
  • there is a ton of small features on the map, called natural modifiers that give additional yields to tiles.
  • to stick with Shamanism until the industrial age is your choice. Every time you set a tenet, you can also choose a historical religion and its holy site. It's a dropdown menu right above the holy site graphic in the tenets choice menu. The AI, for some unknown reason, doesn't use this, sadly.

That's obviously a great constructive criticism.

Two things were you might have missed stuff:
  • there is a ton of small features on the map, called natural modifiers that give additional yields to tiles.
  • to stick with Shamanism until the industrial age is your choice. Every time you set a tenet, you can also choose a historical religion and its holy site. It's a dropdown menu right above the holy site graphic in the tenets choice menu. The AI, for some unknown reason, doesn't use this, sadly.

For the modifiers, I guess my point is that they’re not terribly visually distinct as in say Endless Legend. Map is a bit more subdued in aesthetics.

I didn’t even notice that drop down for religion. Definitely not obvious on first glance.

And yes, AI religions never change titles.

G

Overall game pace is too fast relative to number of things to construct/do

Yeah, in the early game things can take too much time and there is much to set up. You need to have a quarter or two, extractors, units... On the other hand, tech pace feels quite alright with start pace in the first two eras, and many times I'm running out of techs before I switch, and that's without very scientific cultures. Maybe early constructibles could use a bit of a lower production cost, along with the goals increase you suggested.

Also, there's something amiss the goal calculations, as many time I got 2 stars as I switched a culture. I expect the goals to be calculated from what I currently have. Maybe the game is calculating them from the previous goal that I probably went over?

Benefit of cultural 'conversion' of foreign provinces not clear nor obviously beneficial/damaging

Yes... I also feel that the cultural proximity could have a stronger effect on diplomacy, plus also it would be nice to see the "values bar" of other civs to adjust to them for better relations (not only depending on the change civics pop-ups).

Also not immediately obvious how to get more faith to upgrade religion beyond just 'more people' - needs to be more interactive and less passive

The implementation they did for polytheism/shamanism choice killed any interactivity the system had in terms of quarters, as the bonuses from that choice are overwhelming the rest of the system. Also it might be cool to have some actions to force conversion. I think the religious hostility civic could open up empire actions to remove religions from your cities, instead of being related to removing a pop and money/stability.

- Option 1) Should tick up to a supply amount, not be a fixed value - too map RNG dependent

- The fact that I can be shut out of a construction because I've not expanded wide enough or the rest of the world is behind me feels unfair to tall advanced empires

Yeah, I guess they went for concept simplicity, especially considering all their games had supply amounts.

- Luxury resources are also fairly 'samey' - Civ has this problem too, not an easy solution. Perhaps resources should have fewer, but much bigger bonuses that change every era? Right now they're a bit underwhelming power-wise.

- Sources of non-resource stability are so plentiful that resource trading doesn't feel terribly necessary by the mid-game.

- Resource trading should be a bigger part of per-turn gold income than it currently is.

I'm curious why you think they are underwhelming, as I see them completely the opposite way. I even made a game the other day with low amount of resources (25 on a huge map vs the 80 that usually are), and the difference they make to stability and pace is HUGE.

- Their impact doesn't require any strong investment. You plop a extractor very cheaply, and get bonuses that would cost several turns in infrastructure or quarter. Or trading for a bit of gold gives the benefits immediately all over your empire (vs everything else that needs construction per city).

- Stability-wise, they represent 70-80 of stability income, and when manufactories come in, everything goes off the charts with 10 stability per copy and global multipliers that can go up to 30%. You have to research a lot of techs and spend a lot of industry to get those % modifiers. Here, is plopping a single quarter and your stability and yields would increase by 30% or more.

- I agree that even if you don't get them, you can replace them with garrison spamming or common quarters, but at least those take turns to build, occupy valuable tiles in some cases, and had to be placed per city, and increase the cost of future quarters. Basically, stability is way too common to be a proper challenge.

Some examples of how much they represent in my cases. Here is a city by turn 215, normal size map:

350 stability from luxuries alone, dwarfing any other possible source, and just free when settling a city.

Here are some charts of a game with some a game with 50 luxuries, which is already lower than default, and on the right is one with 25. The impact is very noticeable.

I can post some other examples from all my games in terms of city stability break down, but it's always in the range of 70% of total stability. And that's not even taking into account the huge effect on yields and snowballing.

In any case, again, I'm curious why you think they are underwhelming. When I see the numbers they don't seem much, I agree, but the effect being immediate and global makes them very powerful, perhaps in a way that it's hard to see. And maybe it's also because the game in general the mid game onward becomes very generous with everything, so they lose their appeal. One could say that $500k lose its appeal if you are earning millions, but is still a big amount, and the same could happen here.

Cities don't really look like 'cities' - it is hard to tell administrative centers apart from their districts, and city size doesn't really translate onto the map very well. City centers should really grow/expand/modify based on population to help create the illusion of metropolises.

Also, by having the city center exploit both food and production, I think we tend to avoid building around them and snaking out to reach more tiles, which doesn't help with that feel.

Infrastructure selection/management is the one part of the game where my eyes simply glaze over - interactions are far too complicated for many, or far too underwhelming towards the mid/late game. In every game, I find myself simply toggling a 6+ long queue of infrastructure items just so cities will leave me alone.

I totally agree. They become way too plentiful mid game onwards, the bonuses becoming just more yields instead of opening up new gameplay. Many of them could be replaced with new quarters in updates/DLC, and would make the game more interesting.

But yeah, an upgrade tree would be more interesting visually than just a big clump.

- It would be very helpful to sort infrastructure projects into categories based on yield (i.e. a 'military infrastructure' category, 'trade' category, etc.)

That's already in, but I barely use it:

Last edited:
Nice to see your thoughts Gaz. Would be super keen on seeing you launch Vox Populi version for Humankind!

Totally agree regarding culture and regligion. Religion is probably the worst designed system in the game. It is way too passive, faith does nothing once you are dominant enough, and there are literally no benefits to spreading your religion to other civs. They need to make Faith a currency IMO. Civ 6 does religion pretty well (one of the few things I like about that game), so a system more in line with that would be great to see in Humankind.

Culture is also way too passive and doesn't interact with nearly enough game systems. The civic/ideology system, while really well designed, suffers from very poorly designed and boring effects. Would much prefer to see something more in line with VP civics. Agree with you regarding Ideologies too - it feels unfinished and not integrated enough with the game.

I laughed at this because its exactly what I ended up doing.

Last edited:
Some great feedback here. I share your same concerns regarding culture swaps; I think a mechanic needs to be introduced to make these decisions more interesting and meaningful and dynamic; my terrain, resources available, things I build, cities I found and civics I employ should all nudge me towards a certain future path. A "DNA" as you say. Otherwise the game seems little more than a rush to the next era to get the best culture available. Going from the warlike Huns to a trading folk is just bizarre. I'm not saying it should be impossible, but it should go against the grain and make you work for it. I don't know... I feel like the system needs to go back to the drawing board.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Top Bottom