Thoughts on the state of the game since New Frontier Pass

I think I understand what you’re trying to say about expectations, but I just don’t feel that way. It’s irrelevant to me whether you consider NFP to be like an expansion or standalone DLC or something else. My point was that all of the content up to then, regardless of whether it was an expansion or not, was more polished and coherent.

Was it perfect? No. The game has always had a problem with some of the little things, like inconsistent language describing abilities, but it was never this messy feeling, and the increasing messiness of the game’s official content is simply disappointing to me whether you call it DLC, a mod, or a marshmallow.
Leave my name out of this!

But I agree. I don't mind the bugginess to some extent, but I was hoping we were getting at least a new patch, the fact that the game version hasn't changed since the Negotiators is a really bad look for Firaxis because it does feel, utterly, like a cash grab for those who buy it. And a kind of "meh" middle finger for loyal fans.

I appreciate the new art, and new gameplay style, but the fact that fundemental bugs, particularly those in NFP, are still there, is bit jarring and disappointing.

Saw this video by Boes the other day and it made me wonder whether the lack of a patch is related to the issues Aspyr are going through with releasing content.

Presumably Aspyr would be patching the Mac version and Firaxis probably don't want to release a patch on just one SKU and not the other.

Is there a Community Patch mod? That's probably what we need which many games have because it's very common for developers to leave their games bugged. Who is the current Game Director of the Civ series?

Is there a Community Patch mod?
Not that I know... One problem with Civ6 and the idea of a community patch is probably that only a fraction of the bugs could be mod-patched at all and even some of that possible "fixes" rely on just disabling stuff (e.g. the bug with the Culture Industry card in DA mode can be "fixed" by removing the card) or at least altering balance significantly (e.g. improving AI behaviour in Corporations mode by moving the tech requirement). I agree to anyone arguing that such a small and caveated CP would be still better than having none, but realizing that you can't fix most things anyway and have to sign compromises/make cuts to realize the rest is probably not particularly inviting for the modders out there. Another problem of those "fixing-by-changing-rules/content" is that one really needs to browse to the modding community or have superior knowlegde about the game to spot what needs to be changed to work around a bug this way.

Reactions: uhu
This entire DLL debate resurfaced in this thread because of the statement "Civ 6 isn't modding-friendly because they never released the DLL."
That's certainly the consensus among CFC Staff, we can't do any of the things we need to do for competitions - no asset locking; no config checking; no ability to automatically extract information from game files. V and VI have been a real step back from Civ IV.

Reactions: uhu
That's certainly the consensus among CFC Staff, we can't do any of the things we need to do for competitions - no asset locking; no config checking; no ability to automatically extract information from game files. V and VI have been a real step back from Civ IV.
I'm guessing a modified dll would only work on the platform it's compiled on. Firaxis goal seems to have all platforms have the same content and already have problems meeting that goal.

I agree that more of the needs of multiplayer/competitions should be addressed.

I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from? I mean, how long has Red Death been out?
I've played Red Death on the Mac and I don't recall much if any delay from when it came out for Windows. In the first leader pass discussion when asked about if the LP would be available for gameboy they hemmed and hawed like they wanted it to but could not promised it would. Just my interpretation..

"gameboy" is a old man's term for anything that's not a computer that you play games on.

I've played Red Death on the Mac and I don't recall much if any delay from when it came out for Windows. In the first leader pass discussion when asked about if the LP would be available for gameboy they hemmed and hawed like they wanted it to but could not promised it would. Just my interpretation..

"gameboy" is a old man's term for anything that's not a computer that you play games on.
I think you missed my point - Red Death isn't available for all platforms still, and it's been years now.

I think you missed my point - Red Death isn't available for all platforms still, and it's been years now.
I think Firaxis goal is to have the all the same content/game for all platforms. Not having Red Death on all platforms doesn't mean that is not the goal, it just means there is some technical or financial reason to make and exception.

Top Bottom