Tip: Changing game content language

mnf

King
EDIT: Just change it through the regular Steam Game Library's game properties language tab.

----

The game auto-detects your system language (EDIT: actually I think it detects Steam interface language, but only for the first time it launches) and uses it as the default game language. I was very surprised to see it actually has a Traditional Chinese version on launch!

However, there seems to be no in-game option to change the game language, only an option to change the spoken language.

On my localized Windows, to change the game content from Hong Kong Traditional Chinese to English, I first exit the game, then change the ini file:

Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid....Beyond Earth\Config.ini

Look for the line "Language = " and change it to "Language = en_US". Save file. Launch the game. Now the game content will be in English.

It uses System Language instead of the one I'm using with steam? Now, if that's true then that's kind of stupid.

Well, I remember having the same issue with Railroads!, so I guess its a normal thing for Firaxis games? :x

What's actually stupid is that it doesn't just have the option to change language in steam. I thought it's a pre-load thing, but if youca n't easily change it after install I really have to ask myself what they were thinking.
Does it at least contain the english sound files after pre-load or will have wait for it to download those ?

I'm actually not quite sure. Maybe it uses the Steam language, but it only detects it for the first time it launches. I'm using a Traditional Chinese version of Windows 7. My steam uses the Traditional Chinese interface, and when I ran CivBE for the first time, it gave me the Hong Kong Traditional Chinese game content with English spoken voice.

Presumably there isn't a Taiwan Traditional Chinese set of game content available, and there isn't a Chinese set of voice data, so it uses fall-back languages.

I exited the game, changed my steam to English, restarted Steam, and launched CivBE again. It still gave me Chinese game interface and content.

Then I exited the game, changed the Config.ini, and relaunched the game, and that finally gave me the English game interface and game content.

To answer my own question: It was a pre-load thing. You can change laguage through properties in the steam browser like in almot every steam game and the english files were already in the pre-load.

Ah yes I found it as well. Thanks for clearing this up!

It uses System Language instead of the one I'm using with steam? Now, if that's true then that's kind of stupid.
btw: System-Language is German, Game installed in English. So this game is not stupid.

Everytime I change the language, it simply changes the language back to russian when I start it up. ANy way to fix this? I'm not using steam.

I have no idea about this. I'm using a steam version and changing the ini works for me.

Do you perhaps have User Access Control and did not actually save the modified ini file properly?

I have admin, if that's what you mean, and I did save it properly. I tested it checking the file every few seconds, and the language seems to change right when it comes up with the main menu. Right up to there it's "en_US", afterwards it's "russian"

That is...odd...don't think I can help you there. Perhaps post in the Bug Report forum and hope they fix it? :(

I have admin, if that's what you mean, and I did save it properly. I tested it checking the file every few seconds, and the language seems to change right when it comes up with the main menu. Right up to there it's "en_US", afterwards it's "russian"

have you tried opening the steam_api.ini file in game directory and change the language to english in there and then the config.ini file?

hope this help you out :)

Porter

Everytime I change the language, it simply changes the language back to russian when I start it up. ANy way to fix this? I'm not using steam.
I'd imagine that's because a non-Steam version isn't entirely legal. I doubt Firaxis would be able to fix such a thing.

Unless someone can correct me - does the disc install for BE (if one exists) not go through Steam?

Nope the file you need to change is the Valve configuration settings config file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Sid Meiers Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam.
theres a config file named Valve configurations file.

1. right click the valve file then change permissions so you can edit and save file.
2. change language to "english" and save file start game and love life.

Nope the file you need to change is the Valve configuration settings config file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Sid Meiers Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam.
theres a config file named Valve configurations file.

1. right click the valve file then change permissions so you can edit and save file.
2. change language to "english" and save file start game and love life.

I signed up just to let you know it is a working solution! Thx

Top Bottom