Tip- Minor civ vassels

buck beach

Prince
One of my captured cities after a few turns, got rebellious. One of my options given was to allow the take over by a new Civ to become my vassel. Sounded like a good idea at the time so I went with that option. Wrong!! While it stays content it influences surrounding cities that want to go with them constantly. It also generates bandits, Warlords and other unsavory characters that attack, bombard or otherwise cause minor problems. Can't attack them while in the hosts territory because the Civ is a vassal. Can't act diplomatically and cause them to declare independence (to be able to declare war on them) because they are a minor Civ and can't talk to them.

So I will just bare it, but thought I would warn the community.

Buck

Well... I can think of a hoard of issues with what you did wrong...
1) You allowed vassal into your game... they are only good for score padding. Mostly for the AI Civs.

2) C2C can handle 50 Civs, barring resouce issues... you'll end up with dozens of morons Civs clustering things up later.

3) You seem to fail at influence driven war.

4) You didn't respond to their make us a free vassal state thing by going into 'Examine city', Using 'Control + A' and selling off all the buildings and then abandoning the citiy. If the city is large enough to be worth keeping it will then make a settler you can make a less suck city with.

5) You let vassals be existant in your game.... then used one at close range. The didn't culture crush the silly thing.

I like vassals, but only if they are right next to me and have 6 or more cities. Being right next to me means that I will slowly add their cities to my own nation with overwhelming culture. Which means I will have the resources to build them up to useful cultural take over cities in their own right. Meanwhile I have a huge buffer zone on that side against invaders of any kind. ;)

Well... I can think of a hoard of issues with what you did wrong...
1) You allowed vassal into your game... they are only good for score padding. Mostly for the AI Civs.

2) C2C can handle 50 Civs, barring resouce issues... you'll end up with dozens of morons Civs clustering things up later.

3) You seem to fail at influence driven war.

4) You didn't respond to their make us a free vassal state thing by going into 'Examine city', Using 'Control + A' and selling off all the buildings and then abandoning the citiy. If the city is large enough to be worth keeping it will then make a settler you can make a less suck city with.

5) You let vassals be existant in your game.... then used one at close range. The didn't culture crush the silly thing.

You are obviously a more experienced player than myself, However, the tip still stands for others.

Goodday.

Buck

Personally, I perfer to spend spy points on the +5% your culture boosts for Civs on your borders. Even giving only the Loyalty (unit refuse to reveal nationality) promotion is much cheaper and better in the long run for flipping cities. Granted we are talking vassals and I avoid that option, so I'm not actually sure if the revolts (the ones that spawn new units, loyal to you, and starts a war with that Civ) happen at that point.

The short answer is that you should be spamming :culture: boosting buildings and such in your cities near that vassal. Even building :culture: in nearby cities to speed things up. Tiny little rump state minions may add to your score, but are really annoying on your borders. Over water vassal are a different matter. The ones bordering you are a different matter and unless a buffer state should be assimilated. Barring things like diplomatic victory and voting blocks they are of questionable use in the long run.

Buffer states are Civs soak up attacks and more importantly spies and stealth units. they also get all the unstableness from influence issues from battles.

If you have any questions about the terms we are using feel free to ask.

Top Bottom