Tips to Improve Game Performance

Brad Oliver said:
Did you see the minimum requirements before you bought the game?

Oh yes, I can't say I'm suprised it's running slowly, but kdoran's post along with what you said a while ago (that it should be fine except for a pokey endgame) and the fact that CoD2 runs decently which has the same reqs led me to believe that the game wouldn't be very, very pokey all the time. But it is playable, so I suppose I should be thankful.

kdoran said:
TIP: Try running the game *NOT* in "full screen" mode (will run in a window).

Hope you found this helpful.

It has been very helpful. How do I set the game to non-full screen mode?

killerbeaz said:
It has been very helpful. How do I set the game to non-full screen mode?

Hold down the Command key when you launch Civ4 to bring up a Mac dialog which will allow you to select windowed mode. There's also a way to change this in-game via one of the graphical option screens, IIRC.

Brad Oliver said:
Hold down the Command key when you launch Civ4 to bring up a Mac dialog which will allow you to select windowed mode. There's also a way to change this in-game via one of the graphical option screens, IIRC.

Thank you. You are my hero! :D :D :D

Cougarcat said:
Kdoran, I don't know if I just have higher performace expectations than you, but I have to say I'm dissapointed.

I'm very sorry to hear that. My expectations when I got the game were that I would be lucky if it would run at all (as I am below system reqs). Sure, it runs pokey, but it also does on much better systems. I didnt mean to get you're hopes up, and just so you know the game did slow down for me around 1500 AD with most of the map discovered. So far it has not crashed yet tho.

No biggie––I would've gotten the game regardless. I can still enjoy it, which is what matters. Besides I'm hopeful that either a) a patch will come out fixing the OpenAL and Core Audio issues, fixing PPC performace; or b), my logic board dies for the 4th time within 90 days of my repair warranty, resulting in me getting a nice new MacBook Pro. ;)

I have to say, though, even with the settings at their absolute lowest, the game is still beautiful. From the screenshots I wasn't expecting much. It really is quite nice.

I was just testing my system... went from 61 degrees to 74 degrees in about 5 minutes of playing. Still climbing! When does the system automatically shutdown?

Seems like my dual G4 shut down at just over 68 degrees.

I like being able to run windowed, but when I do my choices for resolution are fewer :cry: I can run all the way up to native 1920x1200 in full screen, but as soon as I switch to choose windowed, the best resolution I can select is somthing like 1400x900.

dwiese said:
I like being able to run windowed, but when I do my choices for resolution are fewer :cry: I can run all the way up to native 1920x1200 in full screen, but as soon as I switch to choose windowed, the best resolution I can select is somthing like 1400x900.
You must have a few horses under that hood.

I wouldn't mind running full screen (it's definitely more immersive), but the whole reason I switched to windowed to was to get a minor performance improvement. I started optimizing performance by picking the lowest resolution possible. If I could run 1920x1200... man.

Top Bottom