"Too many military units?"

Bomba923

Chieftain
My population is 39,400,000, I have 15 cities, and a total of 128 military units. I'm in Republic government, and each of my cities has around 10-20 free production points not used for supporting its military units.
(See the attached save file, FNNUKE2.SAV)

***However,
I keep getting this message,

"Sire, our population cannot support so many military units. We must eliminate some of our old units before we build new ones".

And every time I try to build a military unit, the build window just says "Change Production" with some shields on it...(ARRGHH!!)

Why the problem? Does Civilization have a limit to how many military units I can have?

Attachments

• FNNUKE2.SAV
    24.5 KB · Views: 97
Because it's old. It runs under 640k DOS limitations so it has quite a few of it's own. Basically, since it was built for computers that couldn't hold that much memory the game itself was made to stop making more units then the computer could hold. Of course, if it was made nowdays it wouldn't have such a limitation (civ4 *cough*).

Also, I read somewhere that the more war-orintated a goverment is the more military units it can hold. Try switching to depotism. Might be able to squeeze a few more out ;)

trada said:
Because it's old. It runs under 640k DOS limitations so it has quite a few of it's own. Basically, since it was built for computers that couldn't hold that much memory the game itself was made to stop making more units then the computer could hold. Of course, if it was made nowdays it wouldn't have such a limitation (civ4 *cough*).

Also, I read somewhere that the more war-orintated a goverment is the more military units it can hold. Try switching to depotism. Might be able to squeeze a few more out ;)
Well, I have Civilization for Windows...
and switching to Despotism did not help at all! ::cry:
(then again, why would it? <--in my case)

The game still won't let me build more than 128 military units :(

Any other ideas (that do not involve disbanding my current troops)?

Bomba923 said:
The game still won't let me build more than 128 military units

My understanding is the WinCIV is just a porting of CivDos to windows there are a few changes but basically it is the same game. Each country has a unit table, and you have filled yours. There is nothing that can be done.

:(
(1--10 character minimum?)
(2--I can't delete this post?)
(3--128 military units could hardly defend all my cities adequately)

You have over a hundred cities? 0_o I.. just.. can't handle that much micro-management.

Bomba923 said:
(3--128 military units could hardly defend all my cities adequately)
Rebuttal to 3)
A--You don't need so many cities. I don't think I ever get more than 30. My largest game might have had 40 cities.
B--You don't need more than 1 defender per city unless you are having battles with someone at your own level of technology.
C--If you insist on having that many cities, you don't need to have defenders in all of them. Likely there are cities in the middle that cannot be reached without passing other cities. Those inner cities need 0 defenders since they will never be attacked.

Check my attached save file (FNNUKE2.SAV)*...
Alex Johnson said:
A--You don't need so many cities. I don't think I ever get more than 30. My largest game might have had 40 cities.
?? I only have 15 cities. How is that "too many"?
(I don't know why Trada thinks I have a "hundred" cities )

Alex Johnson said:
B--You don't need more than 1 defender per city unless you are having battles with someone at your own level of technology.
My only enemy civilization and I are technologically equal.

Alex Johnson said:
C--If you insist on having that many cities, you don't need to have defenders in all of them. Likely there are cities in the middle that cannot be reached without passing other cities. Those inner cities need 0 defenders since they will never be attacked.
Check my attached save file (FNNUKE2.SAV)* ...

1) I only have 15 cities

2) I playing an island game and there isn't a "middle" closed off by cities (they're laid out in one big "strip", you might say)

*attached in my original post

128 aren't enough defenders for 15 cities?

trada said:
128 aren't enough defenders for 15 cities?
My cities are spaced out, and I'm surrounded by an enemy who's also my technological equal...(island game, enemy can strike anywhere)

So each city has to be able to defend itself...

(I'm aiming for
1-2 Mech. Infanty, 2-3 Bombers per city, 2 Fighters, 1 Artillery,
and 2 Battleships (one inside and one outside...)
per city)

You know if you used all those defense armies to attack the enemy you would win.

Aside from some technical problems...I possibly could defeat the enemy with that army (and the fact that I have an EXTREMELY powerful economy...)

But I like to build empires, and there's much open land for expansion without invasion. I suppose you are right, however--->I can invade the enemy, and build my cities around my current strip of cities...and eventually move units out of the inner cities as I will actually HAVE outer cities in my territority...

I just didn't think the time to do so was right now...

So that others without WinCIV could see your world.

I did a little tour of your world with those battleships. There really isn&#8217;t much land left to colonize. That empty island north of Dijon is about it.

This is what I enjoy about this game; one can set their own goals. How far do you plan to take this?

I wasn't able to check out your save because it was not a CivDos save. The two versions, while almost identical, can't trade save files.

15 cities is definitely not too much, but your defences are out of control in my opinion. When I'm at war with an equal I generally have 2 of the strongest defence (in your case mech inf) in every city and a roaming attack unit on every island (in your case armor) to take care of landing parties before they get to a city. It looks like all the enemy cities are on the water, so you can take all those battleships and just wipe out the enemy in one or two turns. A battleship will almost never lose a fight with anyone. You can just keep attacking until their population shrinks to 0 and the city vanishes. If they run out of defenders wait a turn and they will rush another one.

Other than that I have no advice. It looks like you have been cheating extensively, so I leave you to solve your own problems.

2956AD
I couldn't help my self I starting playing this game. I have captured 6 cities. The Russians have dropped a nuke on me. It will take a little time until I get a few transports in line.

A few minutes with WinCIV and I know why CIV Dos is my favorite.
1) Better graphics
2) Simpler user interface.

Alex Johnson said:
It looks like you have been cheating extensively, so I leave you to solve your own problems.
The only cheat I used was the Settler's cheat (where I can irrigate or railroad in one turn, and also put them on transports)

In this save file, I'm trying to perfect my empire,
and some Russian cities are not too well placed...

I just have to figure out how to bring them down to 1 unit population and then invade them;

By the way, if I invade Moscow, will the Russians split into two factions?

Might. There's a random factor there.

You have nukes right? You could always use them..

Dack, thanks heaps for the screenies ^.^ I'm just amazed that there is still a place to colonise in 2956AD..

Alex Johnson said:
Yowza! 2956AD is a lot of turns!

I still have an old saved game from about 1992 on my old IBM PS2 that got up to 6283 A.D. I got the same type of problems with unit limits, although my only opposition was the German city of Leipzig, surrounded on its own small island by several of mine, and a captured Berlin. Had landed on AC quite a while previously.

One had to economise with the units.

Top Bottom