Beer and civ 16

spod

Warlord
Am currently playing as the Drunk Scots. As a Scotsman I feel incredibly proud having risen to become leader of the Drunk Scots.
We're a friendly bunch, happy to get on with everybody in the fine game of Civilisation.
civ scots.jpg

But if we're attacked, we're a fearsome enemy. Strangely Mahatma Gandhi was first to find that out. We had huge respect for the guy, brilliant fellah we thought, passive resistance and all that. "Hello wee man!" we said to him, "come and have a pint!" But then he started giving one of our smaller cities a good kicking for no reason. We had three major cities at the time - Haggis, Neeps and Tatties - and the military units started pouring out of them. Mahatma never got invited down the pub with us after that.
civ scots1.jpg

Then some guy called Ramesses started putting the boot into another of our fine and wondrous cities, again for no reason. "Oi pal, what do you think you're daein?" we shouted. No reply from him. He didn't last long after that.
civ scots2.jpg

By now we had many cities, most of them named after whiskies:
Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glendronach, Glen Grant
Can you do without them, if you must know, I can't
Put a drop in a glass of Glen Grant or Glen Drottar
It's a perfectly bearable way to drink water

Glenfarclas, Glen Lochy Glen Garioch, Glen Faul
I once knew a man who had sampled them all
Glen Ugie, Glenkinchie, Glen Isla, that's plenty
He looked 65, but in fact he was 20

Glenturret, Glen Scotia and last week Glen Fyne
Was rare at communion when we ran out of wine
Glenglassoch, Glen Lossie, Glendullan, Glenmorangie
I prefer them to Cointreau which I find too orangey!

And now the Russians have started being nasty (shockaroonee!) The game's ongoing so I'll keep yez posted...
(Whisky lyrics from a song called Our Glens, by Scotland the What)

Quick update: the Russians have been soundly gubbed. Minsk has been renamed Mince... :lol:

civ scots4.jpg

Am currently playing as the Drunk Scots. As a Scotsman I feel incredibly proud having risen to become leader of the Drunk Scots.
We're a friendly bunch, happy to get on with everybody in the fine game of Civilisation.
View attachment 687857
But if we're attacked, we're a fearsome enemy. Strangely Mahatma Gandhi was first to find that out. We had huge respect for the guy, brilliant fellah we thought, passive resistance and all that. "Hello wee man!" we said to him, "come and have a pint!" But then he started giving one of our smaller cities a good kicking for no reason. We had three major cities at the time - Haggis, Neeps and Tatties - and the military units started pouring out of them. Mahatma never got invited down the pub with us after that.
View attachment 687856
Then some guy called Ramesses started putting the boot into another of our fine and wondrous cities, again for no reason. "Oi pal, what do you think you're daein?" we shouted. No reply from him. He didn't last long after that.
View attachment 687858
By now we had many cities, most of them named after whiskies:
Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glendronach, Glen Grant
Can you do without them, if you must know, I can't
Put a drop in a glass of Glen Grant or Glen Drottar
It's a perfectly bearable way to drink water

Glenfarclas, Glen Lochy Glen Garioch, Glen Faul
I once knew a man who had sampled them all
Glen Ugie, Glenkinchie, Glen Isla, that's plenty
He looked 65, but in fact he was 20

Glenturret, Glen Scotia and last week Glen Fyne
Was rare at communion when we ran out of wine
Glenglassoch, Glen Lossie, Glendullan, Glenmorangie
I prefer them to Cointreau which I find too orangey!

And now the Russians have started being nasty (shockaroonee!) The game's ongoing so I'll keep yez posted...
(Whisky lyrics from a song called Our Glens, by Scotland the What)
So, in Scotland, only people named "Glen" are allowed to start a whiskey brand?

So, in Scotland, only people named "Glen" are allowed to start a whiskey brand?

In Scotland a glen is a narrow valley. It's a hilly country so we have a lot of glens! Many Scottish whisky names begin with Glen, but not all.
I like your question though!

You would have thought Gandhi would know not to ask for the Highlanders to be sent in! Oh well... who is "Guns Mostly" by the way? Another custom name for a civ?

I've learned something too - "neeps" being the same vegetable as what the English call a "Swede" and what the Americans who know what it is call a "rutabaga".

And yes, while I've seen many Scottish whiskies that start with "glen", none of the four I have on hand start with "glen". I suppose that's in part due to being partial to the peaty whiskies of Islay, none of which start with "glen" and which compose two of those four.

who is "Guns Mostly" by the way? Another custom name for a civ?
So the Aztecs were defeated by Spanish conquistadors and their allies. The conquistadors had superior weapons including rifles (or muskets) and cannons, which the Aztecs did not have. And so the Aztec civilization was destroyed by guns, mostly! (Apologies for my crude interpretation of history)
And you're right about neeps! Must admit I'd never heard of rutabaga and had to look it up

So the Aztecs were defeated by Spanish conquistadors and their allies. The conquistadors had superior weapons including rifles (or muskets) and cannons, which the Aztecs did not have. And so the Aztec civilization was destroyed by guns, mostly! (Apologies for my crude interpretation of history)
And you're right about neeps! Must admit I'd never heard of rutabaga and had to look it up
Almost correct, it was guns and some Cocoliztli outbreaks.
Mostly disease. By far.

Almost correct, it was guns and some Cocoliztli outbreaks.
Mostly disease. By far.
Yeah, I read that somewhere. Apparently the Europeans brought with them some diseases which the Aztecs had never been exposed to...

Top Bottom