"Too many military units?"

Just played your save to a finish, lots of fun. Just brought the bombers and battleships to the russians and bombed them into oblivion. The thing that you forgot was that you need groundtroops to capture a city, always build a few transports with armor on them to conquer.
It seems that you were trying to hold ground but you had enough troops to completely waste the russians in about 20 turns. :)

6283AD! wow! I've also found that too many cities become tiresome, especially when they are captured cities (e.g. all those Zulu or Russian empire cities i once captured), and those cities are usually built in the desert all next to each other limiting the production unit capacity of each city, so I just build enough to defend a city, then get it to build something and not renew the build option so I'll never hear from such cities again! But then it's hard to get a high civilization rating with such primitive cities polluting my stats, so i keep their populations small...

As for too many military units, just discard obsolete units, have only one mechanised infantry unit in cities that are safe (i.e. in heart of your empire) and frontier cities make sure there are two veteran units defending a city with a city wall... You might even want to consider no military units in safe cities especially if you are playing on the Earth map or cut off from enemy civs... if you are limited in number of military units you have to use good military tactics eg mobility of attacking units with railroad, a nuke or two in emergencies. Also build up a good treasury and use Diplomats to take over cities through revolt option...

Found this old topic while trying to find some info on this. I just got this "Sire, our population..." message myself. I think I had 226 units at the time, which includes about 10 settlers and 19 diplomats (not sure if they count towards a limit; I guess they do). I could probably make do with less units but I don't feel like it.

Year is 1838 and I have 37 cities. Didn't realize my units:cities ratio was so high; I only have 1 or 2 units in my main continent cities, but I'm at war with everybody else (same level or slightly better tech than me) so I have a bunch of defending units in my captured frontier cities, as well as a bunch defending strategic hills and stuff. It really doesn't feel like a ridiculous number of units; they sometimes die at a pretty rapid pace due to enemy attacks.

I'm not sure if I'm actually being prevented from building more units though.

Turns out that yes, new units were not being built. Any production used to try and make a new unit would simply vanish.

Also I realized that the F2 screen that I was using for a unit count is way off. I don't have close to the 226 units it displays (no wonder it didn't feel like I had that many). It's displaying 5 active militia, 8 phalanx, 8 legion, 12 cavalry, and I don't have a single one of any of these. I checked all my cities, and the total number of units being supported is 136, with I think 21 diplomats. I'm not getting the "Sorry sire" message right now though, as I got rid of some units, so I guess 128 non-diplomats (and non-caravans?) probably is the limit.

BTW, I am playing v5 (wish I had v1). That probably doesn't matter for this issue though.

Another bug/issue is that I had some units disappearing on me. This happened in at least 2 cities; I noticed it on the same turn. One had 3 riflemen, the other had 2, but in the city screen only 1 unit each was being displayed. Within a couple turns 1 of the missing riflemen from the city that had 3 was back, and then a couple turns later the other returned. The other city also got back its missing unit. Not sure if this has anything to do with the unit limit being reached or what.

Found this old topic while trying to find some info on this. I just got this "Sire, our population..." message myself. I think I had 226 units at the time, which includes about 10 settlers and 19 diplomats (not sure if they count towards a limit; I guess they do). I could probably make do with less units but I don't feel like it.
did you really check if all the 226 units were really there?

i usually did detect up to 30-40 ghost units (not removed in the unit table)
from time to time
in later stages of a game...

BTW, I am playing v5 (wish I had v1). That probably doesn't matter for this issue though.
it looks like the most bug free version isn't 474.05 , but 474.03 ...

the Civ FAQ
http://www.lilback.com/civilization/

click "Civ FAQ" there...

and there >>> Section A: General Information > http://www.lilback.com/civilization/mp/civfaq2.html

v1: The original game.

v2: This version attempted---and failed---to fix the Advisory Bug. It did fix the Score Bug, and removed the Shift-56 Cheat.

v3: Once again tried to fix the Advisory Bug, and failed again.
Added some new pictures.
Added "very unhappy people."
Removed free barracks.
No longer able to disband a population-1 city at Chieftain level by buying a settler ( = this is also possible with the AMIGA version!)
Transports no longer made people unhappy under a Democracy or Republic.
Overall, the game became harder for veteran players.
This version is harder to play than previous versions,
mainly for people playing Despotic Conquest.

v4: No changes; just converted for HD disks.

v5: The most recent failed attempt to repair the Advisory Bug.
Note: There is no other difference between v3 and v5.

Advisory Bug

If you leave the "Advisors" option on, then if the Domestic or Military
advisors can't think of anything to suggest, the program dies. This
will happen if your city has pretty much everything it needs or could
build.
---Adam Ginsberg

another Bug:

the
more...
...more
Bug

in city screen(s) at later high scientific stages
when you haven't build enough improvements in cities
('what is possible to build' - not enough wonders or city buildings).

example:
you already have invented "space flight"
and just build up to 5 wonders
(and there is no other tribe that build any wonder that time, too)
leads to
an 'overflow of units and buildings'
that kills the 'possible-units/improvements table'

to a
MORE
that just leads to another MORE...

no way out. :(

Actually now I believe that diplomats do actually count towards this limit. I was building a diplomat in a city when the "Sire..." message appeared, and that diplomat wasn't built and the shields were lost. Very annoying - my standard defensive garrison is 1 rifleman+1 diplomat.
did you really check if all the 226 units were really there?

i usually did detect up to 30-40 ghost units (not removed in the unit table)
from time to time
in later stages of a game...
You are correct. In the post above yours, I note about 100 "ghost" units. I don't know if they count towards the limit or not.

Anyone know if it's possible to clear these ghost units out?
to a
MORE
that just leads to another MORE...

no way out. :(
I've encountered the advisory bug a couple times (even though there were plenty of things left the build, the city was still relatively young), but never this "More" bug fortunately.

I wish I had v1 because there are less unhappy people, and dealing with those is an unfun aspect of the game. Also the fact that content people in a city changes with expansion, causing previously content cities to become unhappy just because you built/conquered a new city (not sure if that's also the case in v1 or not). And I remember having some fun with the shift-56 cheat when I was a kid too. But I don't have my old disks anymore, only a CD version.

Limits civ dos:
Cities: 127 total for all countries.
Unites: 127 for each civilization.

Each unit has an entry in the unit table.

another Bug:

the
more...
...more
Bug

actually there IS a solution: use automatized production by hitting the A key or SHIFT-A in the city screen. the governor usually builds barracks, granary, library and courthouse besides SS-pparts and military so he can lead you out from this annoying situation :)

well i dont know, if the automatizing exists in your version, but i believe its not just mine..

oh hoops that was my first post ever here ^^

Top Bottom