TOT Multiplayer problems

Spiffus

Chieftain
Howdy,

I have a question about TOT's multiplayer feature. I have long played Civ II MGE and been able to connect with friends via direct connection - entering in the host computer's IP address and going from there. A friend of mine was not able to find a copy of Civ II MGE, so we both bought TOT. We have installed it on our computers and cannot get them to connect. We have just recently installed the patch and it still will not work. Here are the specs:

His box has Windows Me on it, and he is using dial-up. Each time we try to connect, we make sure his Norton Personal Firewall is off.

My box has Windows XP Pro and I am on a cable modem. I have an Internet firewall/router as well as Norton Internet Security Pro 2003. However, I have plugged directly into the cable modem, bypassing the router, and I still cannot connect. I have tried both with Norton enabled and disabled. After I installed the patch, Norton asked if I should let TOT listen for connections, and I said "yes." In any case, it will not connect, no matter whether I host the game or my friend hosts it. It is quite frustrating. :confused:

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm not the brightest porch light on the block, but I'm not the dimmest either, so any help would be most spiffy.

Thanks, and blessings!

If you haven't changed the configuration of your computer and it works with Civ2 MGE, I've no idea about what happened!

I can't help but suggest a few things: reinstall Civ2 TOT and the patch, reinstall Directx (does TOT use Directx?), check the built-in Firewall of Windows XP (it should be off). Last but not least: the true IP address problem. Civ2 (TOT or MGE) shows incorrect IP address when working with sub-nets. As a reference, compare the IP address you get visiting http://www.showmyip.com or http://checkip.dyndns.org/ with the address Civ2 tells you. If they are different, please use the address you get from these web pages.

My last advice, if all the others things fail, is that your friend can "downgrade" his/her Civ2 TOT copy to Civ2 MGE, using the Cedric's patch avaliable from this page :D

i have played multiplayer gold a few times with poeplke i have met on here, without problems but found that whenever i try to play with someone using TOT and the cedrics patch it does not connect and only comes up with the message (waiting for game machine to connect). So i am a little bit weary about giving people the advice of using this patch on there ~TOT~ copies

yaroslav and makster246,

Thanks for your replies. It did occur to me the other day that I could run a self-test, so I did. I have a laptop that I use occasionally with a different ISP dial-up than my cable modem, so I installed TOT on it and was able to connect from the laptop to the desktop PC. Both have Windows XP Pro, and they were able to connect. So, the problem must somehow lie with my friend's configuration. I don't think Windows Me has an internal firewall like Windows XP does, so that shouldn't be an issue. I may have to see the configuration myself to test it.

Thanks again for all your help! Any additional ideas would be spiffy, but if I find the answer, I'll post it!

Blessings!

Spiffus

Top Bottom