Trading Cost of Resources

Spoonwood

Grand Philosopher
I'd guess at least a few of us have seen that the trading cost for things like certain resources goes up when you learn a relevant technology. For instance, if you learn Chivalry, the trading cost for both horses and iron goes up. In a game I have going right now, I noticed that when I entered the industrial age and traded for Nationalism and Steam Power (Steam Power I would guess the cause), the cost for horses went down. Do we have any sort of comprehensive list for this, or can we make one?

Interesting idea, Spoonwood. I've noticed similar tendencies before relating to trading resources (mostly me doing the selling with the recieved gold decreasing after technologies). I don't think that there is a specific list though.

it's something i've noticed too.

iron never really goes down in value due to being needed across 3 eras (4? don't really get to the the modern era that often, game is over/i'm bored by then). horses are redundant after cavalry.

even at the start of game, the wheel and iron working are two of the most prized techs, especially if only one civ knows them. resources matter; if i don't have either horses or iron it makes things so so tedious.

If you get Refining and trade it to an AI with spare oil, then you can trade it before anyone gets any other tech for 1 gold. That's because the AI has no use for it.

You can trade oil for 1 gpt but for that you shouldn't have combustion. If this tactic is used then timing is of the essence. ToE should be built ASAP to get MT or flight while researching the other at maximum to gain from that trade before it expires (assuming the trade was done one turn before combustion). Isn't it more simple to locate some weak link in the supply and get it by force? (tundra source/island source is defended poorly as a rule).

Generally I think it also depends heavily on the amount of cities. The more cities I have the more expensive the trade.

Top Bottom