Trading resources - What is the "amount" textbox for?

human101101

Chieftain
When discussing trade agreement with another country I notice that a textbox containing the quantity of a specific resource is displayed next to the resource. I am able to edit the value in this textbox. What is it's function? I thought when trading a resource you just trade one since more than one of the same resource does not help.

you confusing Strategic resources with Luxury resources. Strategic resources are limited in numbers. You can a number of them to another Civ. I think its 40G per source @ friendly.

strategic resources not like luxaries in civ 5.

Example: Each horse unit uses a horse. If you have 4 horse resources, you can build 4 of any combo of Chariot Archers & Horsemen.

At normal speed; best deal is 45 gold per strategic resource. 240 per luxury.

Example: Each horse unit uses a horse. If you have 4 horse resources, you can build 4 of any combo of Chariot Archers & Horsemen.

When you say "Can build 4 of any combo of Chariot Archers & Horsemen" do you mean at any one time? To put it another way ... If I had four (4) horse resources I could be building throughout my empire a MAX of four (4) horse units at any one time?

When you say "Can build 4 of any combo of Chariot Archers & Horsemen" do you mean at any one time? To put it another way ... If I had four (4) horse resources I could be building throughout my empire a MAX of four (4) horse units at any one time?

No. You can have 4 horse units TOTAL. Be it under construction or already on the map.

Also, if you go into the negatives, say because your pasture gets pillaged, then the horse units will fight at a penalty.

You can only build as many (in this example) horsemen as you have horses. So with 4, you can build/train 4 units. If/when one of these units dies, your source or horse will go up by one, and you can build one more.

Thanks everyone. I think I understand now. This is sure a lot different than Civ 4 where all you needed was access to the resource while building them. And then all you needed was one. Thanks for the help.

Thanks everyone. I think I understand now. This is sure a lot different than Civ 4 where all you needed was access to the resource while building them. And then all you needed was one. Thanks for the help.

Don't forget to use it to your advantage as a strategy. Nothing like making your enemy's swordsman fight at a penalty because their biggest iron mine is right on the border. :lol:

An interesting strategy (which might involve more risk than it is worth) is to give the AI iron, have them build swordsmen, and then declare war. This severs the iron connection and, if they don't have enough to cover it, gives them the penalty. I think the costs outweigh the benefits, but it's an amusing idea.

Top Bottom