Translation question

royfurr

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern"
Perhaps someone (possiblly the original poster?) with a knowledge of German can help!!

This was posted by someone, in their "signature" part, I believe. Stupid me thought I could get it translated by a person where I work and didn't bother to note down where it was found! And then, it apparently being somewhat idomatic, the literal translation didn't make for a smooth sounding quote. And when I tried to use Search to find it, using several different words from it pasted in, it wouldn't show up! (Maybe Search doesn't look in signature areas?)

Anywho, it someone can enlighten me, I'd be GRATEFUL!! THANKS!

Mancher hat nur deshalb mit dem Kopf bezahlt, weil er keine härtere Währung zur Hand hatte

[Zarko Petan, slowenischer Aphoristiker]

Originally posted by royfurr
Perhaps someone (possiblly the original poster?) with a knowledge of German can help!!

This was posted by someone, in their "signature" part, I believe. Stupid me thought I could get it translated by a person where I work and didn't bother to note down where it was found! And then, it apparently being somewhat idomatic, the literal translation didn't make for a smooth sounding quote. And when I tried to use Search to find it, using several different words from it pasted in, it wouldn't show up! (Maybe Search doesn't look in signature areas?)

Anywho, it someone can enlighten me, I'd be GRATEFUL!! THANKS!

Mancher hat nur deshalb mit dem Kopf bezahlt, weil er keine härtere Währung zur Hand hatte

[Zarko Petan, slowenischer Aphoristiker]

Some must pay only with their knowledge, since they have (while there is) no better currency.

That's the best I can do without actually knowing the context. What does this actually mean?

:egypt:

A good many people have paid with their head only, because they had no better (or harder) currency at hand

Maybe the term "Paid with their head" has rather something to do with beheading than with Knowledge.

Cause they were not bright enough, their Project failed and they were (metaphorically) beheaded, i.e. held responsible for the failing of the Project.

Top Bottom