Trying to solve late game crashing

IzzyWorks

Chieftain
Hello! Been loving VP so much that I've gotten back into CIV 5 and been playing it daily for the past few months. I've been trying to learn as much about the various mods but I rarely finish a playthrough because of late-game crashing.

I'm trying to rule out possible issues outside of the mods themselves.

My system has a 9900K, GTX 2800 Super, with 64gig of RAM.
The OS - 64bit Win 10.
I run the game at 2k 30fps res. on Steam
And usually play with 16-18 civs on large to huge maps. Crashes start around 250 turns and it usually becomes unplayable around turn 350.

Besides the mods, I also have the TTK_1K texture mod added, and I run with minimize gray tiles and GPU texture decoding in my graphics settings.

Mods -
I play with a lot of EUI/quality of life mods, plus Pineapples rebalancing and Maritine battles packs.

Oh, and crashing usually occurs when going into a sub-menu. Like choosing a unit's promotion, selecting science research or checking info addict. It also does crash in-game, but less often.

It doesn't matter how much RAM your system has, Civ5 is a 32-bit application so it can only use 4GB of memory.

Large maps, more civs (with lots of units), more mods and higher graphics settings all use more memory as the game progresses, and when it needs more than 4GB the game will crash.

Only Firaxis can convert the game to 64-bit, but they appear to have no intention to do so.

In my case, crashes occur when I scroll the map while showing yields on all tiles in late game. Do you play with yield icons enabled?

As said by NigelC, the game has to use a lot of memory in the late game and it is limited to 4gb. So at some point you can't do much if you play on a large map with lots of units/civs.

In my case, crashes occur when I scroll the map while showing yields on all tiles in late game. Do you play with yield icons enabled?

As said by NigelC, the game has to use a lot of memory in the late game and it is limited to 4gb. So at some point you can't do much if you play on a large map with lots of units/civs.

Thanks for letting me know. I will start to scale back the size of the map and the number of civs for the next playthrough. Also had no idea about the yield icons. Going to try disabling that right away.

Would running the game at a lower resolution make any difference?

Thanks everyone. It turned out to be the ram. I turned down the graphics settings to medium and everything works fine. Just went another 50 turns without a single crash

I used to get late game crashes. Now i don't thanks to below :
important information for everybody experiencing sporadic late-game crashes. Those are mostly due to lua hooks being called from the game core. On the other hand if you are not using any additional modmods, those lua hooks are actually not needed.

So there is an option to turn them off. Take a look into "(1) Community Patch\Core Files\Core Tables\CustomModOptions.xml" and set CORE_DISABLE_LUA_HOOKS to 1.

That is all, and you even get a little performance boost on top. Please document your experience, if everybody ends up playing without we could even make it the default.
Thx ilteroi

Top Bottom