TSG #1: Greek Empire / Empire Grec

I'm still going to say you should get your buttski over to the russian game!

(hope you have fully recovered from your illness that prevents civ2 playing :eek: hope it isn't contagious!!!)

:p

Then there's also the Greek game of course ;). Apparently some of the other teams are getting deeply concerned that even though it's only 80 AD in our game and 1000 AD or more in their game we have some techs they still don't have :D

kickass, I cam access the forum again! I will play today and post by tomorrow, thanks for waiting!

My friends, come close, dont turn your back-
For I'll sing to you of Hammanu the Black.
Oh Hammanu was born in the Pharsalos mines
And he ruled from Athens, where the lighthouse shines
And with him, from the mines, he brought to the throne
A will that was iron, a face- that was stone.
His face it was for ever darkened with coal,
Black coal that darkened his hardened soul.

His reign began with a stark declaration:
"Two foes oppose the intrepid Greek nation!
The Zulu and Aztecs rule in that far land
Where the new Greek colony cities stand!"
Taxes were raised to pay for the war,
And barracs were built to prepare the force.
The king he raised up an elephant horde,
They stood there waiting, awaiting his word...

And when at last preparations were done,
And the brutal king felt he had already won,
A man in plain robes strolled into his palace
And spoke quite harshly, but without malice,
"You ruled too long, I, The Prophet, say so,
And if to this foolish war you shall go,
Like an eagle caught up in the branches of trees
You will fall from the sky and down to your knees!"

Hammanu the Black did not heed our Prophet,
He had crucified him and thought nothing of it,
But Michael of Pharsalos had began
To draw the unioun of God and man.
Now Hammanu arrived at the theatre of war,
He drew his sword to unleash the horde;
Bapedi, an outpost was taken fast--
Zulu were brave but could not last.

To the south then Black King Hammanu had turned,
To those vast deserts where the golden sun burned.
He struck head on, without deception,
But the Aztecs prepared a proper reception.
For Montezuma, the wisest of kings,
Had bound his towns in phalanx rings...
Oh their shields were sea cliffs o'er which waves spill...
Their spears were forests; they stood many; stood still.

In the battles that followed the horde was shaken,
Though two cities Hammanu the black had taken.
He ground them into the desert sand...
And nothing is left where they used to stand.
The defenders had fought to the final breath,
And nothing is left on the parched desert earth.
Then, when at last the fray died down,
The kings black steep cast him to the ground!
Onto the rocks Hammanu fell,
Then down into our Prophet's Hell!

Sung by a bard to pious citizens of Athens, 600ad

Note also that the Indians are building King Richard's crusade. I played 20 turns because we're behind and I wanted to finish this war.

That is incredible Hammanu! A great idea - it must have taken you ages to write. Some of the rhymes are a bit questionable but overall it's quite an achievement. :goodjob: :D
When Molière wrote rhyming couplets he would work out what he wanted each one to say and then write the second one first so that they would make more sense. This way you are less likely to come up with a great line and then scrabble around for an awful word that rhymes with it. :)

I'm checking if the results of his reign are as good as his poetry :)

Well me again I suppose as we only have 3 people playing this succession game: AZ is gone and Meigs is very on offish.

Meigs SAY when you can do your turn and we'll slot you in wherever!!!

Dang, Hammanu! You stole my idea for my next reign - the epic poem!

Nicely done, and welcome to our game. I'm sorry that you got stuck playing the lousy Geeks (oops. I mean Greeks :)) The good news is that you'll be able to follow the Brit timeline while in the game and be better able to comprehend the true genius of the Classic Team!

Originally posted by Kev
Dang, Hammanu! You stole my idea for my next reign - the epic poem!

Stole your idea ? Then obviously this is what must have happened: :D

Attachments

• steal_poetry.jpg
    steal_poetry.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 146
I will be posting my next 20 turns soon...Stormbringer is coming to us to do the next batch...

I conquered the Aztec...made some good and bad diplomatic moves and have got us republicosed!

We have 4 VERY competitive A.Is to deal with who like building wonders and swapping tech :) DAMN the french and their "Great Library!!!"

I'm getting slightly confused about the playing order so I'm posting what I think it looks like now:

Hammanu
Kitten (finished playing this round and will soon post log)
Stormbringer (plays next)
TheViking
RMeigs (?)

Also I think that from now on we should each be playing 15 turns since we are not that few anymore.

Also we maybe should start discussing which strategy would be most fun. If there are lots of enemy coastal cities it might be fun to build lots of frigates (and later on ironclads) before the AI gets coastal fortresses since we have the lighthouse (therefore all ships are veteran) and getting Magellan in addition would be fun. Actually lots of nice wonders are coming up like Leo, Bach, Magellan, SOL (for war-time communism) etc. (or maybe the AI has built some of these already ?)

The hill with coal near Argos should be mined ASAP if Kitten hasn't already done so since doing so makes this city a high-production city and therefore great for building wonders.

I haven't as yet written a decent story for my last reign and forgot to bring my notes up to the computer room...and it is a whole 20 stairs :eek:

Basically...I developed the nation with loadsa harbours and marketplaces...built michaels, turned republicos and defeated the Aztec despite his 3-4 phalanx behind walls AND had a good AND bad time at diplomacy :(

Traded some silver with the Chinese...their capital being big, having 2 fishes and a whale resource is built upon rivers AND has the Colossus!

The nation in a good state with alot of new colonies too...2 were advanced tribes so don't blame ME for the positioning (I wonder if you can guess which ones).

Athens has a caravan and Sparta a trieme use the two to get production to our wonder in Pharsalos...almost got either Leons, Magellans OR Statue of Liberty...a big choice to make ESPECIALLY AS THE A.I IS TECHED UP AND IS BUILDING WONDERS VERY QUICKLY :o

Well not bad all this from a 48 hour old memory of my game...:goodjob:

Here is file...next player is Stormbringer -I will be posting my story here when I do it!

If people want the save games from virtually all my turns of my last reign here they are...all compressed in a zip file (only need to uncompress the file once!).

King Unpredictacos came to power not through the normal line of succession, unpredictably he was chosen by the previous leader as he had no sons and Unpredictacos ran a very successful olive oil company and a Kingdom runs very much along the same lines ;)

When Hammanu died and with him Greek interest in poetry Unpredictacos the same night got down to state business...first he must bury Hammanu not praise him and then praise him :goodjob: it being hard to praise a bloated corpse, but easy to praise a nice maple coffin inside which remaining hidden is a bloated corpse :skull:

King Unpredictacos went to look into the State treasury...too much gold was going to a large room and sitting there and too little gold was aiding technological improvement...having learnt that only that by being at the forefront of technology can you succeed in selling olives King Unpredictacos made the necessary changes.

He looked abroad and saw the puny but wealthy Aztecs losing a war to us...hoping to gain their wealth and end the costly war he talked...but the Aztecs were too proud to give their money for peace and said that they had learnt to not trust Greeks bearing gifts...;) and when King Unpredictacos said he hadn't brought a gift them were most upset and said he didn't like them.

Other negociations allowed by the travelling Olive Merchant Marco Polo gave us banking for us sending teachers of philosophy to another nation...a deal that can only bring us benefits! In addition alot of demands for tribute which brings almost universal war against our nation...

At home harbours are rushbuilt and resources better channelled removing the need for entertainers and more scientist instead in our cities...

A.D 500 SHOCKINGLY TURN 1 of my reign!

2 harbours built.

We make up with the russians...they are keen on swapping engineering...but they want monotheism...I give them astronomy instead and they seemed happy enough!

We swap seafaring for invention with the French...and we make a peace treaty...my tribute demand brings war :( a pattern is emerging...we do well in diplomacy till I demand tribute.

We swap seafaring for university with the Chinese...the French benefit with that bloody Library of theirs...we make peace, I demand tribute, they laugh...:cry:

In the East we butcher some Aztec settlers...

A.D. 520 (2)

We ship troops to East and repair the battle worn armies in Argos..

In the West the French build King Richard's Crusade...yet another sign of how powerful they have become.

A.D. 540 (3)

Business is slow in running empires and selling olives.

A.D.560 (4)

Business is slow in running empires and selling olives.

A.D 580 (5)

Our Eastern armies head South...whilst another expedition heads west from Athens...

The seige of the Aztec capital begins and in the same area we slay kill many barbarian units...2 legions and a leader to be precise.

A.D 600 (6)

We discover an advanced tribe in the east -Where Manilla in the Philippines is...

I when into the "goody hut" as it was on a river and could be accesses from a river square so if nasty I would be able to get my settler back onto a boat...I home my settler and trireme in this city...we will develop this city and explore before we build more cities in this region.

In the Far East we find some mercs...which are now supported from Bapedi.

620 A.D. (7)

We defeat the Aztecs...349 gold taken and a city sized 6 captured...two crusader armies and I think an elephant army died storming the walls...well worth it. For some reason the fall of the Aztecs give the French 3 techs via the Library...

Out ill-gotten gold is used in a spending spree...marketplaces and harbours.

640 A.D. (8)

The sell-off of pointless barracks...putting people to work and killing off warriors as Mick's Chapel is built!

660 A.D. (9)

At some times we don't build stuff and we don't talk to our neighbours and we don't find anything more interesting than sea in our voyages...

680 A.D. (10)

During this period of revolution to Republic Mr.Unpredictacos takes his last opportunity to demand tribute...war arrives to our nation from all but the pitiful Zulus who pay up knowing our army is closest to them.

700 A.D. (11)

We are a repbulic...the public are introduced to luxuries and our tax rate is only 10 percent! We discover new tech instead of every 24 turns to every 9 turns!

Inevitable military cutbacks also follow...

720 A.D. (12)

We make peace with russians for tech of navigation...we recently learnt this and are now researching democracy...the russians being an inland people can do bugger all with navigation.
We obtain a ceasefire with Chinese for invention -another hope is that they get leornados so we can invade it off them...as we don't know where the French are and the Indians and Russians too far away.

A major reason for peace with India, France and China is due to the number of ships with troops they are bring near to our Philippine colonies :mad:

740 A.D. (13)

Avignon is discovered...a French town in South China...we can't imagine a vast French Empire that obviously exists intermingled with the Chinese.

760 A.D. (14)

Further exploration gives bias that Avignon probably just a colony...especially considering the amount of French ships that are heading from the SW to the NE past our Philippine colonies.

780 A.D. (15)

Chinese build an observatory...how jolly for them.

800 A.D. (16)

Another advanced tribe joins our silver trading company...only to realise a deception! We risked exploring with the silver caravan as the island was too small for vast barbarian hordes to exist.

820 A.D (17)

Peace with China for Warrior code and Mono...grrr...good and bad at diplomacy is Speaker Unpredictacos.

Oh yes, our republic is doing nicely :)

840 A.D (18)

Troy founded in the very mined area of n.america

Eretria founded on philippines

Silver trading Athens to Peking...about 130 gold...it may have not been demanded...but beigin has the colossus and nowhere else was close! plus beiing is huge and has 2 fish and 1 whale and is on a riveR!

+4 trade to Athens...pretty good considering Athens hasn't a marketplace.

A.D 860 (19)

We the French and Chinese have Democracy...we direct our scientists for economics...will anyone actually use this radical form of government?

A.D 880 (20)

Olives ripen.

A.D. 900 (last turn)

Marathon founded in the South California...it is very dusty here.

Speaker Unpredictacos was elected out for becoming a boring administrator rather than a man who gave good parties and makes interesting history...he returns to his olives a broken man.

ADVISE:

We can build 1 of 3 wonders...the other two will be built by either France, India or China...Leonardoes, Magellans or the Statue of Liberty. A big choice...I advocate Magellans as the others advantage can be replicated even though it is costly/difficult.

Keep the Tenoc settler farming till hunger in tenoch is not a problem...

The goody hut/village south of Marathon...if it barbs we lose Marathon...your choice whether to enter...I wouldn't!

The Trireme in Sparta...either use caravan in Athens for trade with Chinese OR use it for the wonder in Pharsalos...last turn 100 production was added by this means to that wonder!

ALL DONE...GOOD LUCK!

I got cught up trying to play 2 sucsession games and civ3 so it might take me a few days to post my game. Is it ok with you guys?

Do us first B4 you play civ3! (don't bother with the write up if that'll take too much time...the important thing for us is having another player doing some turns!)

Top Bottom