1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG119 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

You do indeed get it upon finishing tradition even if you havent reasearched it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

2. Beto_Java

Beto_Java Chieftain

Game: Civ5 GOTM 119
    Date submitted: 2015-10-23 16:49:37
    Reference number: 33374
    Your name: beto_java
    Game status: Science Victory
    Game date: 1952AD
    Turns played: 372
    Base score: 1292
    Final score: 1745
    Time played: 7:04:00
    Submitted save: final_vitoria_0372 AD-1952.Civ5Save
    Renamed file: beto_java_C511901.Civ5Save

3. Coilean

Coilean Warlord

I completely brain farted and thought this had a Nov 16 deadline, oh well. I had a t271 SV that I COMPLETELY screwed up my math on; I was literally waiting on bulbs and sitting on 5k more cash than I needed to buy all the parts, and somehow did the math so wrong that I would up with 2 scientists extra when I finally bulbed off to finish the tech tree. I reloaded back to find out when I was supposed to bulb off all my GS, and had a 265 win, so I had 6(!) turns of completely wasted waiting.

Other than that, I went completely peaceful, 5 city tradition, with the standard rati/freedom/commerce finish. I think I could have shaved off at least 10 turns by founding a 6th city after NC/HG, or maybe by trying to take Ghandi's cities after I got the Foreign Legion. I also ate several large poop sandwiches by getting beat 2-4 turns short of Oracle, Porcelain Tower, and Cristo. Losing PT and Cristo was totally my fault, though; I could have finished them before I did but thought I was far enough ahead to finish other buildings first. I also screwed up my Rati finisher timing and had to use it on Nuclear Fission instead of Nanotech, which probably cost me another 3-4 turns. I probably could have bulbed to Rockets a little sooner too, and saved a turn or two by finishing Apollo earlier.

One final thing, I noticed in my reload that there seems to be a nasty bug where you can lose most of your science overflow after bulbing a lot of GS's. Has anyone else run into this and know what causes it / how to avoid it? I have a save demonstrating it here, if you don't know what I am talking about: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_h-nvJMOUvaRFhVeEExMHJTclE/view?usp=sharing

The save is right after I bulb off 8 scientists, and I have 35694 bulbs of the 12100 needed for Nanotech. After hitting "Next turn", I discover Nanotech, and only have 8800 bulbs of progress towards the next tech, Telecom. It can't be coincidence that 8800 was the exact price of Computers when I bulbed it, and after that when I bulbed Robotics, it did not give me the tech right away, despite having way more bulbs than needed (even before using the GS). I also did not immediately get Nanotech after I bulbed it, again when I had more tech than required even prior to using the GS. My feeling is the bug is somehow tied to those times you bulb a GS which _should_ immediately discover the tech (i.e it completely fills your progress bar), but instead it just gives you a bunch of overflow bulbs and no discovery.

4. Yarin

Yarin Chieftain

I believe last fall patch notes would explain this :)

5. Coilean

Coilean Warlord

Aha, thanks for the info! That does explain my lost beakers. I guess the next question is, how do you know when bulbing a GS will not discover the tech, but instead just create a lot of overflow which will be lost?

6. Yarin

Yarin Chieftain

I believe you can bulb-research only one tech per turn. Or there is some similar restriction. Hopefuly someone else will be able to correct/specify this.

7. vadalaz

vadalaz King

You can get multiple techs in one turn, but only one per Great Scientist, and then your bulb value needs to exceed the tech cost. But you have to keep track of your overflow when you do this, make sure it doesn't go higher than 5 times your bpt or last tech's cost, whichever is greater.

This thread has more info on bulb mechanics http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=543701