TSG36 Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG36 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 60 to 80 turns.

- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Any early wars and who started them?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- Did you prioritize any Wonders?

Moved warrior SW, found snowy wilderness, settled in place. Founded five cities. Conquered Delhi and Sukhothai. Took Civil Service with GL. Wonder spam: Chitzen Itza, Hagia Sophia, PT (rushed) - bulbed Astro, finished Oracle on same turn (2nd city) for rationalism opener. Hard building ND in second city, saving GE for UN as per advice in previous diplo game. Just finished Hanging Gardens in cap. Bought two caravals and sailed off to find the other civs - still looking for one. Signing RAs with everyone I meet.

When I started, I was distracted and I moved the settler instead of the warrior... founded the city on turn 4 on the shore hill. That's got to be a drawback...
After that... it went fairly well... I went heavy culture in the capital (bee-lined to monastery to take advantage of all that wine).
Because of heavy culture output i managed to get patronage completed pretty fast and I already have all CS's on the continent allied. Just discovered the other continent and began taking over their CS's. (in the meantime I conquered my continent...).

Going well, only problem is I have only 3 cities of my own, and the rest are puppets. Ill have to start a settling campaign as soon as I build the last national wonder...

I went heavy culture in the capital (bee-lined to monastery to take advantage of all that wine).

I don't know if you know this or not, but the monastery doesn't give extra culture PER wine resource, only +2 culture for having any wine.

I sent the warrior south west to hill, didn't like it, and then I hastily settled on shore hill on turn two, before even scouting out furthur north. I then regretted my hasty decision, thinking settling in place was probably better. Oh well, I'm just playing an easy relaxing game now, mostly peaceful. saved the Great Library for Astro. Siam declared on India. It looked like Siam was going to take a city from India, so I strategically placed a scout and a captured worker around India's city to restrict Siam's access to the city. Worked like a charm. Siam's army lost all it's melee units before it was able to capture the city. The war was a stalemate, but crippled them both. I may go beat up on them eventually, but they are my only RA partners for now, so I guess I will let them live. :)

I settled on the wine next to the mountain. Second city when up near the pearls. Third city grabbed the horses and 2 iron patches.

I used the GL to get Civil Service. Later I built the Hanging Gardens in the capital mainly for a quest to get my 1 ally back.

After the 3rd city went up, and while building the Hanging Gardens, Gandhi asked me to join him in a war so I countered with wait 10 turns. This gave me time to crank out a bunch of warriors, get the iron mines up etc. Just after the war started I finished Liberty, took a GS and bulbed longswords.

I'm now just past turn 100, have built a 4th city to grab more iron another cotton and another wine. I've got all my trade routes up 2 or 3 puppets and am poised to go take Gandhi's cities and finish off Siam. I should have astronomy in a few turns so I can go find everyone else easier.

My current plan it to completely take over my continent so I have plenty of land for trade posts to get the cash rolling in. I may even go so far as to take over all but 1 capital just for fun.

Stopped at turn 142. Early on I got a tech from a ruin as well as a upgrade (spearman sadly....) and some gold.

I settled in place after moving the warrior WSW and seeing snow, marble is nice.

I made two rather big mistakes; 1 being I moved a settler into position to have it stolen by barbs (LoS meant I didn't see the camp til too late) and then I ran my scout into a barb and it died (I was lazy with the movements).

The lost settler was really annoying; by the time I got a unit to the camp it had been dispersed. I noticed a weakened barb to the north and bought an archer and used all my units to search. Luckily I eventually found it and got it back but it meant my second city was ~20-25 turns late in settling.

I settled a third city on the ivory between Belgarde and Brussels. Shortly after that my exploring archer ended up next to a Siamese settler unprotected. Obviously the only option was war. I only had 2 archers and a warrior at the time, but apparently he had nothing. Right around here I got iron online built 3 warriors and upgraded to swords and swarmed his capitol easily. Finally spawned a general and by the time he was with the troops they were longswords - Siam still only had warriors :rolleyes:. I crushed his better city and made peace leaving him with a rather mediocore coastal city.

Gandhi was next as he was sitting up there all smug like. Mumbai and Delhi fall and he offers me his last (and better placed :cool:) city for peace.

Meanwhile I have built numerous wonders, and am about to finish PT. I have RA's with both Siam and India (I had to pay in luxaries for them, for some reason ;) ). I am currently at +120 gpt non-golden age and just purchased my first caravel to go 'ploring. I feel I was slow with the whole barb settler thing.

turn 122

no wars yet, but ready to baclstab Siam as he is fighting India now. Got 2 classical RAs from my neighbours then medieval one from Ghandi only as i was not sure when i will have to strike Siam. I hate having him developed at my doorstep with elephants and buying CSs. So i will take his cap and hope that does it for him. Will keep him around for RAs.

Astro turn 106, discoverd all but one other civs. Slowly signing RAs as i am an era ahead and it pricey. I got most wonders, lost out on HG to Gandhi. :rolleyes:
So far so good, no CS quests but a tech and culture from runis. pumping GS now to make the last dash to UN eventually.

I don't know if you know this or not, but the monastery doesn't give extra culture PER wine resource, only +2 culture for having any wine.

I'm pretty sure this is not the case. You get +2 per resource thats improved. Its not shown anywhere on the right panels that tell you about your buildings but you can do the math on the city culture and determine that its truly +2 per wine.
I've investigated this on a variety of HOF culture victory games to determine if its still giving +2 if say you settle a GL of one sort or another (It doesn't). Also to determine the interaction between cities that share the location (It apparently gets permanently attached to the closest city, not for instance the one that may be working it which seems to be the case for marble and its bonus).
Anyway, the luxury aspect of the wine is still available if settled by a GL, just not the monastery bonus. Odd, that.

Wow. Felt like an idiot for a while... (after the first post, I re-read the description for the monastery and it seemed that Gamewizard was right). Never thought to do the math. It did feel odd though, because I was sure that I had a huge culture boost on cities with a lot of wine... Not home now, but I will definitely verify this tonight.

This is my first GOTM. Turn 120 atm. I settled in place, went down the Liberty Tree to expand ASAP.

Got lucky with the goody huts and was able to conquer Siam and India pretty easily. Now I'm consolidating the continent while I research caravels. I have a bunch of knights ready for my next conquest.

I plan to ally with all the city states on my home continent.

I'm using these series as training challenges. I learn a lot first giving it a go myself and then see how and what others did.

I moved the warrior west one step first, didn't see anything but snow so moved NE on the hill to look beyond. Seemed settling in place is hard to beat.

Second city went all the way north. It was going to go in the triangle of three cows. But when I got there there were horses there, so I settled just below that. Third city went north-east along the river and the other civs are still at only one city. I'm not an expert player, but Warlord is just too easy.

Later on I built a 4th city next to the Petosa, just to have a coastal city to explore from later on. As soon as I got iron I built an army of 6 Swordsmen accompanied by three archers. By the time the army was up I got steel and promoted them all to longswords. With this I swept first the Siam capital, on to Warsaw, then to Delhi and finally Brussels. I think I lost an archer along the way.

Here I got bored. The only reason to keep on playing is to see how a diplomatic victory works, as I've never tried that before. But when I built the UN, no vote. What's up with that? I was also dismayed that the Great Engineer that I had saved for it hardly made a dent in the construction of the UN. I thought they always built the whole thing... I guess it shows I'm just a beginner.

1 GE won't usually build most of the later wonders by themselves. I'm sure you can find the calculation to figure what they give somewhere or someone will post it, but I figure its worth around 500 hammers. You can use 2 or more if you want.

Vote comes 10 turns after the build. (This gives you a little time to take out a rival or his CS allies when an AI builds it.)

Warlord - yeah no one expects to lose at this level, it's all about how fast it can be done. ITC, it mostly means maximising RA's -- which is rough because warlord AIs tend to have little cash.

Your city placement sounds about the same as most players, so you know you're doing something right :goodjob:

Top Bottom