turn 60 2 AIs who i had DOF DOW me

notam

Chieftain
So title says itself, i had typical couple of arcers out etc.

I am playing MAya and playing deaty.

My question is, is this normal? I have never seen this kind things...

Yes, yes it is.

You need to increase your military and start taking war to their lands...

While playing as Rome, I had Atilla DoW me around year 2600 BC. Makes me wonder if some AIs leaders are scripted to behave differently towards specific leaders.

Probably the earliest DoW I ever had was one of my very first Civ5 games while playing as the Celts. Washington, of all people, had a spearman wandering about, exploring, and suddenly, out of the freakin' blue, he DoW'd me around the year 3500 - 3300 BC and parked his spearman on my city's doorstep. He just sat there while I bombarded him with arrows and he kept healing his spearman. Never had an AI DoW me that early. We're talking about the time when civs are still wandering the map, in search of goody huts.

I can just imagine what the AI civs say among themselves (yes, I'm anthropomorphizing):

"When was the earliest for you?"

"Turn 8. Some human player stole my worker on the same turn we met. No hello, how ya doin', just DOW, steal worker. Can you believe it? Some of these humans are out of control. And don't get me started on their city placement. Bam, in my face. Like I don't have feelings?"

While playing as Rome, I had Atilla DoW me around year 2600 BC. Makes me wonder if some AIs leaders are scripted to behave differently towards specific leaders.

Probably the earliest DoW I ever had was one of my very first Civ5 games while playing as the Celts. Washington, of all people, had a spearman wandering about, exploring, and suddenly, out of the freakin' blue, he DoW'd me around the year 3500 - 3300 BC and parked his spearman on my city's doorstep. He just sat there while I bombarded him with arrows and he kept healing his spearman. Never had an AI DoW me that early. We're talking about the time when civs are still wandering the map, in search of goody huts.

I believe this is true. Some AIs have "enemies" (e.g. Alex vs Darius, Catherine vs Lizzy), so if you are playing one of them and there is an AI player of the other, you get a small diplomatic penalty.

Yeah it is normal. Main factors for DoW are low military strength and city distance. With how the AI spams military and cities on Deity, it is nearly impossible to avoid the early game rush. A quick jump to CB's make a huge difference in holding it off.

Have you ever DoW someone while in Dof? Turnabout is fair play.

smallfish is correct, don't become so vulnerable to where even your friends feel they can wipe you out.

I find on deity it is mostly just distance between your cities and theirs. So if they are close they probably will DOW. Different AI are more/less aggressive but if you get a start far relatively far away you pretty much never get a DOW in the really early game.

I don't think increasing military matters the AI just has no many it will always think you have a tiny army.

Military strength is relative to AI's, so it still does matter. It is just extremely difficult to ever match a Deity AI's military strength until much later on (after thinning out their numbers while boosting your own).

I dont have problem with early DOW, thats at deaty a nessesery evil i can live with it quiet easy. But what buggs is, that they DOF before it. If i would do it as human player to AI, all the AI everywhere would be pissed off that you DOF and then DOW...

Thats what i dont understand..

Have you ever DoW someone while in Dof? Turnabout is fair play.

smallfish is correct, don't become so vulnerable to where even your friends feel they can wipe you out.

Oh yes, definitely. BTW just a PSA: since Fall Patch, the "declared war on friends" modifier doesn't stick with you forever. the only ones that'll stick is "you lied about troop positioning" - even other civs you never met will hate you for this. :eek:

Spoiler :

Poor, poor William got flooded with mandekalus after this - this is for wiping out me religion in another game :D

Sadly, yes this does happen. It might just be in the AI personality, or they can see that you have a weak military and try to eliminate you from the game, gaining your cities.
This has happend to me before with Attila. I was America, and we both declared war on the Turks. He got 2 cities, I got 3, including Instanbul. We were friends, but when the war was over he attacked me saying "Good friends should recive a stab in the back":cry:. my military was out of position and he had catapults, horse archers and swordsmen all at my borders.

One more thing did u found any cities by them or are your borders touching?

I had Bismarck do the same to me once, but he completely failed in his war, causing all of the other AIs to gang up on him.

Sadly, yes this does happen. It might just be in the AI personality, or they can see that you have a weak military and try to eliminate you from the game, gaining your cities.
This has happend to me before with Attila. I was America, and we both declared war on the Turks. He got 2 cities, I got 3, including Instanbul. We were friends, but when the war was over he attacked me saying "Good friends should recive a stab in the back":cry:. my military was out of position and he had catapults, horse archers and swordsmen all at my borders.

One more thing did u found any cities by them or are your borders touching?

Nop all our citys where quiet far away.

Isabella was mayby the most closes and i did expected to get DOW from her (she does that). But the tyrks right after was not calculated risk..

I believe this is true. Some AIs have "enemies" (e.g. Alex vs Darius, Catherine vs Lizzy), so if you are playing one of them and there is an AI player of the other, you get a small diplomatic penalty.

Wow, this makes so much sense and I've never thought of it, and it answers something that had me confused at this very moment in my current game.

This current game is my first as Boudica (lol I still want to spell it as Boadicea), and I'm still in the beginning stages (archers, warriors) on epic length so it's taking awhile. Anyway, I don't have a huge army, but it's nothing to sneeze at, mid-size according to demographics.

Well, almost all the civs are acting normally to me for what I'm used to at this stage - friendly. Then I meet Alexander who's not even near me on the map. Not only is he not friendly, he's not even guarded - he's just downright hostile right out of the gate! And for no reason. Every few turns, he wants to taunt me about my culture (though I think I'm near the top of the pack for culture) or my army or something else. I've never experienced anything like that before in Civ V with any other leader in any other game, and I've had other games with much weaker army or culture at this point, and played plenty of other games with Alexander.

I was like, what the heck is going on here? It made no sense. But now because of this thread I all the sudden realise, it must be a pre-programmed thing for Alexander against Boudica, since in real life she fought against Rome and almost won.

Nah, that's just Alex being Alex. He hates competitors, usually city-state grabbers or top scorers or if you are doing well or start off in a way better estate than him...

Spoiler :

The whole super cramped continent was basically made for the Incans, tons of hills like you would never believe... and yes, even in the snow, the Inkans can make a living out of those snow hills with their terrace farms

Alex DID NOT like that at all, and it was only Turn 11! We barely even met and even he knew what was going to happen!

And I did not even know where Athens was :crazyeye:

Spoiler :

Then of course, he had to cement that with a Denouncement on the very next turn. Some nonsense about Inka Punapalapa being untrustworthy and morally bankrupt

Spoiler :

And yes, for eternity till the end of time, he will always, always, always hate the Inka, but that was way later on

I dont have problem with early DOW, thats at deaty a nessesery evil i can live with it quiet easy. But what buggs is, that they DOF before it. If i would do it as human player to AI, all the AI everywhere would be pissed off that you DOF and then DOW...

Thats what i dont understand..
Who said you're not allowed to be pissed off? Feel free to be as much pissed off as you need. :)

Top Bottom