Tutorial: Adding new civs and UUs in PTW

Dose this mean that in PTW I have to enter all new units into the pedialicons.txt manualy?!? :mad: This seems like alot of work just to add in a few units, but if so that would explain this error:

Attachments

• unit error.jpg
    unit error.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,208
Yes, you have to make two entries in pedialicons.txt file. With vanilla Civ3 you only needed 1 entry (if you wanted everything to work perfectly). The additional lines you need to add in PTW in the pedialicons.txt file is:

ANIMNAME_your unit
your unit

I think these lines tell the program which folder in your units folder to use for the animations and sound.

Thanks Bamspeedy your explaination and directions are a life saver.
:goodjob:

I would like to suggest using my Diplomacy Editor for adding leader dialogs rather than do it line by line. My editor is fully compatible with PtW.

Check link in my sig.

Stupid that you have to add your own Scenario folder to the search path... I've been trying for hours to get my mod to work, and it was that all along... I DEFINATLY thought it would search through the folder with the same name as the .bix file automatically.

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
One unit I had was asking for soundfiles that were nowhere to be found, like 'musketinfantry', when it should be 'musketman' or musketeer'.
Musket Infantry is a unit made by Dark Sheer (I think, or Smoking Mirror).

I had the same problem, so I downloaded the unit, and placed it in my mod's art/unit folder.

With my units that required sound from the civ3 units folder, I did like this:

RUN=..\..\..\..\..\..\Art\Units\Spearman\SpearmanRun.amb

can you do it with only 1 ..\ ?

Originally posted by Grey Fox
Stupid that you have to add your own Scenario folder to the search path... I've been trying for hours to get my mod to work, and it was that all along... I DEFINATLY thought it would search through the folder with the same name as the .bix file automatically.
Ok... I was wrong. It does search through your scenario folder with the same name as the .Bix.

My fault seems to have been that I forgot to end my search paths with " ; ".

I did put a ; between my search path, but not after the last one.

hmm.... Still don't work. I get this error:

art\units\otomo spearman\otomo spearman.INI not found

and I guess this is because I don't give the Bix the correct search paths...

This is my search paths:

..\extras\World War II\Art\Units\; ..\extras\Medieval Japan\Art\Units\;

What's wrong with those?

You shouldn't have the space between ";" and "..\", i.e. it shouod read:

..\extras\World War II\Art\Units\;..\extras\Medieval Japan\Art\Units\

I got it to work by changing them to:

..\extras\Medieval Japan\; ..\extras\World War II\;

So I guess the spaces didn't matter.

EDIT: or maybe they did, I havn't tried building a World War2 unit yet...

In my earlier search paths, I had a space before the Japanese search path aswell.

So maybe the spaces did matter.

Originally posted by Grey Fox
Musket Infantry is a unit made by Dark Sheer (I think, or Smoking Mirror).

I did like this:

RUN=..\..\..\..\..\..\Art\Units\Spearman\SpearmanRun.amb

can you do it with only 1 ..\ ?

Yes 1 is enough because it will search your civ 3 folder.
Except with SwordmanFortify .wav
Because it has a space why it works for them I don't know, but for us it doesn't

Hay Can i get that mod [added germen new units] please i just wanna play the game regular with those units but adding all the crap for them is really getting tiring . Ive had to reinstall the game 2ce form getting major errors.
That and the error about the pedi cons took me forever to get rid of.
:crazyeye:

making new units with the PTW editor
HI!
The following is from your excellent tutorial.
"Then go over to the ‘Units’ Tab. Click on ‘add’ and give the new UU a name and fill in the civlopedia entry box.

Fill in all the other stats and abilities (hold the control key down while selecting the attributes to allow you to select multiple abilities)"

I press the control key on my PTW editor and cannot get multiple attributes to come up. No matter what unit I choose to copy, after putting in a name for it, it reverts to a settler unit and only allows explore as an AI choice, the other choices being grayed out. I have the most recent patch.

I would appreciate any advice you could give me.
Thanks!

I sent you an e-mail Tal.
but in case anyone else has this problem:

I should have said 'abilities' instead of attributes. If you want to give the unit multiple abilities (the lower left box-like giving the unit stealth, hidden nationality, amphibious, etc.), you would have to hold the control key down while selecting the abilities.

For AI strategies, you would need to make sure that the 'capture' flag is marked in the special abilities box (that is on the right side of the screen) and this will enable you to check whether the unit is offensive or defensive, so the AI has a better idea of how it should use the unit.
Edit: I forgot, you also need 'load' selected under the special abilites option.
Even though it says 'capture' if the unit has an offensive or defensive value, these units will be killed if you attack them. If they have a defense of 0, and an attack of 0, you can capture them (artillery, workers, scouts-if you are expansionists, etc.).

I figured if anyone can help you guys can. Im dying here. Just cant figure this damn thing out.

I recently decided to attempt customizing one of my favorite scenarios, "Rhye's of Civilization" to include all of the PTW civs and increase the number of civs in a game.To begin with I transfered the file from .bic format to.bix format so I could use the PTW editor and so i would have the capability to increase civs... Everything went fine with that and the scenario opened just fine in PTW. I then went ahead and began the real work. I Increased the civs ina single scenario to 22 and included the mongols,celtics,carthagians etc. I used the normal PTW map and cut and pasted everything over to make the civs work (I didn't want to change anyhting I just wanted to place the civs in the MOD. After that I began unit creation following the PTW units exactly (Berserk Korean Cannon thingy etc.).Finally i placed the starting points and everyhting looked good until...... I attempted to start the scenario. I received this message:

FILE NOT FOUND
"#"

and it exits the program. I have absoluteley no idea what to do. All I did was copy what is supposed to be in PTW into this scenario.... does anyone have any idea why I received this message and does anybody know what I can do? All I want is to play the darn scenario with a few extra civs. Please help!

Hello!

I am trying to add units to PTW, 1.14. I look in the Pediaicons File for the ANIMNAME area, but can not find any specific area dedicated to it. I looked toward the bottom, but can not find it. ANy help?

Thanks

Edditt-

Did you add entries into the pedialicons.txt and civlopedia.txt files for all the new units/building/civs for that mod? There should be a folder for that mod that keeps all the art and .txt files needed for that scenario. You would need to add in all the PTW art (leaderheads, etc.) into that scenario folder, and entries into the .txt files. There is also alot of other stuff to do, like make sure in the scenario properties, you have the proper pathfinding, so the game knows where to look for that scenario's information.

Converting just a scenario that uses default Civ3 rules isn't hard at all to just switch to PTW (you don't need to add in all the civs, it will do it automatically), but if the scenario has major changes to the rules it is a painstaking process, I think (I haven't tried it).

Hopefully someone more experienced in converting .bic mods to .bix can offer some better assistance. Or if the modmaker is still around he can convert it to PTW (ask in his thread).

Miccal101-Are you sure you are looking in the Civ3PTW directory, and not the Civ3 directory? You should not be in the Civ3-->Text folder, but you should be in Civ3-->Civ3PTW-->Text folder. The ANIMNAME area is at the bottom, just above Era Specific Icons (#UNITICON_PRTO). The uniticons might have been added in PTW1.21, I'm not sure.

I gotta few questions about this mod thing...

Can I enter new units for not just any civ but for one specifically? I mean beyond the first unique unit?

Is there a limit on how many new units can be entered?

Do the new units have to replace an old one?

Does anyone have a link to a program that will assist in unit creation? For the graphics anyway? That would be a big help...

Yes, when you create the unit, there is an area where you select which civs are allowed to build it. So if it is for one particular civ, you would just select that one civ. If everyone can build it, then you need to make sure you select all the civs.

I don't know if there is a limit or not. No, they don't need to replace an existing unit. However, for the icon (what shows up in the build queue), you would have to select an existing one, unless you edit the units.pcx file to add an additional (unique) icon for that unit. There is one guy that has a units.pcx file with like 900 units on it. I think it's in the Unit creation forum.

I recommend that for any help you need in unit creation, you should ask in the Creation and Customization general forum. Those guys are more pros at it than I am, as I have never designed my own units (I just downloaded units others create and then add them into my games).

Top Bottom