TV Show/Manga I have recently seen/read - Record of Ragnarok

Caesar of Bread

Trans Gordon Ramsay
So I recently watched a TV series on Netflix called Record of Ragnarök. It was meh, to say the least. Some fights, like the one where the frickin Buddha betrays the gods and Zeus fighting Adam were interesting and when I read the manga, I really liked the Qin VS Hades and Nikola Tesla VS Beelzebub fight. But I was upset at something -
It‘s not diverse enough!
Look, I know, the show and manga are from Japan, but I have to say that they could have done better.

Gods:
Thor
Zeus
Poseidon
Hercules
Shiva
Zerofuku (who they made up, and then gave an even stronger version of the punk)
Hades
Beelzebub
Apollo
Anubis
Susanoo-no-Mikoto
Loki
Odin

Humans:
Lu Bu (Fengxian)
Adam (as in the one from the Bible)
Kojiro Sasaki
Jack the Ripper
Raiden Taneemon
The Buddha
Qin Shi Huang (Who’s design was terrible. They portray him as such a good figure, while in real life he was one of the worst Chinese leaders)
Nikola Tesla
Leonidas I of Sparta
Soji Okita
Simo Hayha
Sakata Kintoki (Kintarō)
Gregori Rasputin
Michel De Nostradamus

I mean, look at the roster! There are 6 Greeks, 3 Norse, 5 non-Greek/Norse Europeans, 5/6 Japanese (Zerofuku, the stupid fictional character, is supposed to be based off the Seven Lucky Gods of the Japanese). Also there is only 1 Egyptian, 1/2 Indians (if you count the Buddha as Indian), and 2 Chinese. And all of the people on the roster are men! I mean seriously, they could have diversified the list!

Also I have watched some better stuff recently, as in Freaks and Geeks (I’ll talk about the series another time), Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, and Dazed and Confused.

Finally, if you were to redo the roster for a series like this, who would you add/replace? I’ll place my list later.

I can't answer that, as I've never heard of the series you're describing. Actually, I've never seen any of the shows you've listed.

So I recently watched a TV series on Netflix called Record of Ragnarök. It was meh, to say the least. Some fights, like the one where the frickin Buddha betrays the gods and Zeus fighting Adam were interesting and when I read the manga, I really liked the Qin VS Hades and Nikola Tesla VS Beelzebub fight. But I was upset at something -
It‘s not diverse enough!
Look, I know, the show and manga are from Japan, but I have to say that they could have done better.

Gods:
Thor
Zeus
Poseidon
Hercules
Shiva
Zerofuku (who they made up, and then gave an even stronger version of the punk)
Hades
Beelzebub
Apollo
Anubis
Susanoo-no-Mikoto
Loki
Odin

Humans:
Lu Bu (Fengxian)
Adam (as in the one from the Bible)
Kojiro Sasaki
Jack the Ripper
Raiden Taneemon
The Buddha
Qin Shi Huang (Who’s design was terrible. They portray him as such a good figure, while in real life he was one of the worst Chinese leaders)
Nikola Tesla
Leonidas I of Sparta
Soji Okita
Simo Hayha
Sakata Kintoki (Kintarō)
Gregori Rasputin
Michel De Nostradamus

I mean, look at the roster! There are 6 Greeks, 3 Norse, 5 non-Greek/Norse Europeans, 5/6 Japanese (Zerofuku, the stupid fictional character, is supposed to be based off the Seven Lucky Gods of the Japanese). Also there is only 1 Egyptian, 1/2 Indians (if you count the Buddha as Indian), and 2 Chinese. And all of the people on the roster are men! I mean seriously, they could have diversified the list!

Also I have watched some better stuff recently, as in Freaks and Geeks (I’ll talk about the series another time), Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, and Dazed and Confused.

Finally, if you were to redo the roster for a series like this, who would you add/replace? I’ll place my list later.
Is he called Zerofuku because he gives zero – OK, never mind

Alright, I forgot to add the plot.

So for some reason the gods want humanity dead. But the Valkyries, under Brunhilde, think that’s a stupid idea, so they settle it anime-style - a tournament. The Valkyries equip humans with god-killing weapons called Volundr. Yeah.

Japanese anime aren't known for historical or mythological accuracy of non-japanese stuff ^^
The show about Alexander the great, in particular, was dreadful. They even run out of money and used the same sequences for different battles... Also, "Alexander killed 500.000 persians by himself!!!".
Too bad, because the art style was nice, and Egon Schiele-inspired (like it was in Aeon Flux).

I mean, the manga is still ongoing, and they keep on introducing new gods, so?

I mean, I don't really know what "diversity" you want haha. Shows in general normally pick a singular pantheon as "closest to the real thing" (i.e. the concept of a centralised deity), and here what's interesting is they pick two, with the Greek and Norse pantheons sharing a lot of the "antagonist" roles.

Like, is your post diverse because you forgot to consider Mesoamerican pantheons? I don't think so. I think it's just hard to do justice to every pantheon across the world unless the manga continues for a long time, and when it comes to popularity contests, the ancient Greek and Norse do pretty well (imo better than Ancient Egypt, which is a particular favourite of mine).

(the angle about them all being male gods is neat though, didn't consider that one much - but the Valkyrie are all female and central to the fights, so I'm not sure it's necessarily biased in that way)

Top Bottom