1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Uh...Direct IP...Uhh...Cool!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multiplayer & PBEM' started by cgannon64, Nov 26, 2002.

1. rdomarat

rdomarat Spearmen can beat Tanks!

OK, I'm still a little confused by the information in this thread. Is the following possible :

1) I have a 4-port Linksys Router connected to my cable modem, but for the sake of argument, I've neglected to pay my ISP and my service has been disconnected.

2) I have four machines connected to the Linksys router and we can all happily ping each other with the DHCP assigned IP addresses from the Linksys Router. We share files and printers with no problems at all. Life is good.

3) Can I host a Direct-IP game on machine #1 (the fastest machine among the four) and have machines #2 through #4 join the Direct-IP game I've hosted on the machine #1, or am I still forced to somehow communicate with the GameSpy server on Internet?

I'm assuming that I shuoldn't need to worry about forwarding ports on my Linksys router if I don't plan on playing with anyone on the other side of my router, but the postings I've read seem to indicate that an Internet connection is still needed.

Thanks for your time all.

2. delmar

delmar Warlord

Bingo, pretty much the same question as the one bugging me! I think you should be able to do what you discribe above but my experience is that you can't. OTOH, why don't you just try it out? People above mentioned that you can set up a Direct IP host by selecting "Local" for location. If that's true, then there is hope. I was trying to "host" after I set location to "Internet" and I couldn't do it.

3. Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

Dan Magaha FIRAXIS Firaxian

Actually in this scenario you should (IIRC) be able to host a local game and all four clients should be able to join without needing to use the direct IP option.

And, as counterintuitive as this sounds, you can host a direct IP-joinable game by hosting a "Local Game". The game will not use the Gamespy network but your pals can still join if you give them your IP and you've opened/forwarded port 2302.

Dan

4. rdomarat

rdomarat Spearmen can beat Tanks!

Thanks for clarifying that Dan. Your input is always appreciated.

Attached Files:

5. munzy76

munzy76 Warlord

Great...so game spy isn't needed. Anyone else think that name is creepy? :D

6. delmar

delmar Warlord

Don't like to judge things by name or appearance, so I tried to play PTW through GameSpy today. It was terrible. The best I got was an "Out of sync" message after 30 minutes playing, and that was after i tried to get into a game for about an hour.

Honestly I am not sure if things will be better with Direct IP but I would love to try. Is there anyone with a couple of free hours and control over his/her firewall (or without one) who would like to try out (really just for testing, not for a real game, for starters) how Direct IP works? Let me know.

PS: After the GameSpy experience, now I really start to appreciate the PBEM style.

7. WarningU2

WarningU2 Prince

Ok I'm the first to admit this that I'm likely a dolt but can someone respond with the exact steps to play a direct IP game.

Are the steps ... ?

1) You are the host so you start Game and select (I don't know)

2) Give out IP your IP address prior or private chat to folks

3) Wait for folks to join by direct IP button.

But aren't you in gamespy then ? Can Fixaxis provide some doc on this ? I can't believe they put out an enhancement and there is no documentation on how to use it.

8. mok

mok Chieftain

9. WarningU2

WarningU2 Prince

Thank You Mok! When the CD is inserted and you are presented with your choice of options, I assume you select the MP option still and then perform your instructions - right ?

Now I just need someone to try this out. :)

I have a game ongoing now with someone, shouldn't matter that it was started without Direct Ip right ?

Thanks again Mok.