Unfair trading: What is this madness?

Incidentally, if I have two of a strategic resource and an AI has none and wants it (particularly if they need it for their UU) then I never make the trade. Is that the practice for others?

Incidentally, if I have two of a strategic resource and an AI has none and wants it (particularly if they need it for their UU) then I never make the trade. Is that the practice for others?

If I have two copies of a strategic resource I'll do anything to get rid of the extra, even give it away. It's far better to have only one copy, that way you can buy / build the early era unit and upgrade to the modern unit. You save a ridiculous amount of production / gold that way.

I will try to send strategic resources to the other side of the world, though, away from my neighbours if they don't have any.

I've noticed, oddly, that allies seem to frequently offer very low, if anything at all, for your luxuries. You're better off trading with civs that are declared friends or friendly relations without declared friends. Odder still, I've seen the same civ in the same negotiation offer different amounts for different luxuries. Should I start asking my allies if they prefer Coffee or Tea, and if they'd like Sugar or a Cotton napkin with that? :mischief:

I will sell anything for any price, as long as it benefits me more than it costs me. Selling something to a suffering enemy to alleviate their suffering seems like a bad tactic. And I hate GPT; gimme my money now and I'm fairly sure I will invest it for a profit.

Now what is really aggravating that the AI won't offer cities in peace deals anymore. Also they will always cede cities captured but won't include them in the peace offer.

I will almost always sell to a friend or ally, even at a discount. I will sell to non-friends as well, but they need to pay well. If war breaks out, they are no longer getting the resource anyway.

I've noticed, oddly, that allies seem to frequently offer very low, if anything at all, for your luxuries. You're better off trading with civs that are declared friends or friendly relations without declared friends. Odder still, I've seen the same civ in the same negotiation offer different amounts for different luxuries. Should I start asking my allies if they prefer Coffee or Tea, and if they'd like Sugar or a Cotton napkin with that?

I think I have noticed similar behavior as well. While I can understand an AI willing to pay well for luxury for the sake of amenities, I never thought the AI could differentiate between luxuries or that it even matters in the game code.

I tend to GPT mainly for the freindliness it creates
If I need 100 GPT I'll just pillage a bit, that raid card is great.

Probably my biggest weakness in the game is not knowing when to war just for the pillaging. Getting better but still not there. I need to learn to keep a City State around as a Culture or Science Mine. Instead I end up with all these cities!

Probably my biggest weakness in the game is not knowing when to war just for the pillaging.
... well as long as its formal, any hate from you will be gone in under 50 turns as long as you take no city as the max penalty for formal war is -24. Before industrial its less.
... do not pillage Lautro in a golden... if you pillage Monty, pillage his luxes first. Pillaging with horsemen is great, knights is OK, anything else be careful

Hello.

Guys, this problem with trading is really simple. This is just madness, as topic says.

Why?
Rule 1. in Sid Meier's Civilization VI :
PLAYER CAN'T BE UPSET.

If you are not doing well , AI will help you!
So don't worry, Robert the Bruce or some other leader will flood you with gold.

Robert the Bruce is really greedy and stupid, btw. You always trade with Bruce , guys, right? ;)
Is it becouse he is white male? Anyway, he is a gold mine.

Don't be upset with this trade, players!
On the end, trade is very good.

"This is the positive aspect of trade I suppose. The world gets stirred up togather" , says Sean Bean,
aa, sorry, says Isabel Hoving.

“Madness?! This is Civ!!!!”

Sorry, I just had to...

This is Politics. Hello Captain Sparrow.
This is barbarian VI afterall, so yeah, madness.

And really? Now just accepting deals will be a modifier of diplomatic relationships?
I know the benfitial trade positive addup on relationships, as it is often created through gifting. But even a fair trade (to the AIs) is sth that now matters? Come on... I don't really want to accept an offer of 1 gold for all my great works and luxuries. That is an unbalanced market (if thats a marketing system they were creating) and hardly fun, if thats the real case.

AI sometimes can be very picky and even not accept a free luxury as gift unless you add some gold on top.

I play on an Earth Map, so controlling Europe usually includes controlling the capitals of most of following civs : Scotland, England, Netherlands, France, Spain, Rome, Germany, Poland, Greek (x3), Russia, Scandinavia, ... while controlling South America includes only the capitals of Brazil and Mapuche or controlling North America includes only Cree and America (and maybe Aztek), etc.
I guess that controlling many capitals (due to geographical circumstances) might influence the trade offers, even if it is not expressed in diplomatic numbers (warmonger points) when you did the conquest in ancient / classical times.

AI sometimes can be very picky and even not accept a free luxury as gift unless you add some gold on top.

I play on an Earth Map, so controlling Europe usually includes controlling the capitals of most of following civs : Scotland, England, Netherlands, France, Spain, Rome, Germany, Poland, Greek (x3), Russia, Scandinavia, ... while controlling South America includes only the capitals of Brazil and Mapuche or controlling North America includes only Cree and America (and maybe Aztek), etc.
I guess that controlling many capitals (due to geographical circumstances) might influence the trade offers, even if it is not expressed in diplomatic numbers (warmonger points) when you did the conquest in ancient / classical times.

Gifts warm the AI up with positive Relationship factors and yes, the value of the gift needs to meet an AI-specific threshold before you'll get that bonus. As you say, a luxury plus a bit of gold is usually enough to warm them up when they're mad at you but not excessively mad.

I'm not sure if controlling capitals counts in the calculations, other than the "you're winning" modifier which I personally haven't seen kick in, so not sure under what circumstances it applies.

What does impact your relationship permanently is owning a former city of the AI (or a former city of the AI's ally). This is part of the infamous "cede" mechanism mess. Basically, if you take and hold an AI city without removing that civ from the game (by taking all their cities), you'll have a hard time maintaining a decent relationship with them for the rest of the game.

Top Bottom