Units : Animation for Perry Class Frigate

Okay call me stupid, I tried both untilites and can't get it too add it. In the places that you stated the files needed to go they are there, how ever in the edit program I can't get it to add the Modern Frigate, just dupe units that are all ready there. The Civopidia doesn't even show it. What am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by dbrewer842
Some small tweeks, the Oliver H Perry class has a missle launcher in the front vice a canon. The Canon is located between the smoke stack and the main mast. Other than that, its looks just like a real one. I spent 4 years on the USS McClusky (FFG-41). And am happy to see one finnaly in the game itself. Thank you so very much.

Dave Dee :goodjob:

Actually there is a small canon between the smoke stack and the main mast ;) But the ship is so small its very hard to see. If you were to extract the animation and look at the one facing east and west you can see the small canon :D Also, I try to show the shot as shooting a missile rather than a canon as well...hehe Thats why the sound file is taken from Radar Artillery launching missiles rather than the normal canon firing sound :D

Dark Sheer:

I hope you can help me here. Okay I used the modified edit program to add the Modern Frigate to the list. The Files have all been put were your instructions stated they need to be. However the unit show up as a worker, I tried to switch the icon but no luck in finding one of the Modern Frigate. So I checked out the Civopidia, found the Modern Frigate, however it also showed the Icon to be of a worker and at a very low quality graphic of one too. Any idea's of what I need to do to make it work or is this what it looks like and when you run the game it will just pop up normal?

Dave Dee :confused:

Originally posted by dbrewer842
Dark Sheer:

I hope you can help me here. Okay I used the modified edit program to add the Modern Frigate to the list. The Files have all been put were your instructions stated they need to be. However the unit show up as a worker, I tried to switch the icon but no luck in finding one of the Modern Frigate. So I checked out the Civopidia, found the Modern Frigate, however it also showed the Icon to be of a worker and at a very low quality graphic of one too. Any idea's of what I need to do to make it work or is this what it looks like and when you run the game it will just pop up normal?

Dave Dee :confused:

Ok, whenver you copy a unit, its always the settler. You need to name it the Modern Frigate and change the stats accordingly. In order to let it appear as a Modern Frigate , you need to edit the icon file, units_32.pcx. The trick to edit this file is in how Civ3 handle the icons. Civ3 assume that the last 8 icons are always : Leader middleage, leader industrial age, leader modern, army middleage, army industrial age, army modern, settler modern and worker modern. So, whenver you add a new unit, you need to move the last eight icons one step down and insert your new icon in the new space created (by using a program such as paintshop to copy and paste the last 8 icon one step down). After this is done, the icon will appear properly in both city view and production que.

To learn how to add things to your Civilopedia, read Pultrack's thread on this matter under the tutorial section. ;)

First, I'd like to say how absolutely amazed I always am at the type of modifications "amateurs" have added to the Civ series of games (including CtP [no flaming about CtP, please]). The work is outstanding and the effort is greatly appreciated. To you, Dark Sheer, I can only say: outstanding. :goodjob:

I hope I am not too presumptuous, but as long as everyone seems to be making requests, I'd like to add my own. I'm a bit of a military history buff. I like to think of units in Civ as belonging to certain eras of warfare that stand out in history (as opposed to incremental changes). I think Firaxis did a fairly decent job in this, but there seems to be a couple of distinct units missing from the line-up.

I cannot justify going from a Musketman (early 1600s version presented in the game) to a rifleman without the intervening Musket Infantry with bayonett that changed the course of warfare and was around for such a long period of time (from the 1700s to the mid 1800s --over 100 years). I'm simply amazed that such a unit did not make its way into Civ3; it's such a logical progression. The Musketman did spell the end of Knights and is a necessary unit, but the better firing, bayonett musket --along with new tactics to employ them-- made pikemen obsolete and became the attacking and defending unit of choice. The unit I have in mind would either look like the famous British Red Coats or a Napoleonic Warfare soldier (pretty universally equiped and dressed by then).

Another jump I find hard to swallow is the exclusion of the Ship-of-the-Line. A temporary sollution is making the Man-o-War into the Ship-of-the-Line and changing Britain's unique unit to Longbowman. So, this particular oversight is not such a problem.

I also find it difficult to swallow going from an Ironclad to a Destroyer/Battleship. In the late 1800s to early 1900s a VERY important invention was made that changed the making of warships forever (and is still in use today --although a "bit" more modern and efficient). That was the steam turbine engine. Generating so much more power and taking up so much less space than previous steam engines, these engines were responsible for the development of ships like Britain's famous "Dreadnought" class of warships. I am thinking more along the lines of an "Armored Cruiser" that is much more powerful than a ship of the line and ironclad but simply cannot match the absolute power of the "modern" battleship. This would provide a wonderful intervening naval unit so there isn't so much of a jump in technology and power.

Also surprisingly lacking is a B-52 type jet powered heavy bomber. Why did they leave that out? The B-52 can carry IMMENSE amounts of ordnance as compared to WWII bombers. In fact the F-15E "fighter" can carry a larger payload than a WWII B-17 bomber, let alone a B-52 heavy bomber. (I served in the 391st "Bold Tigers" squadron of F-15Es in Mountain Home, ID).

And, lastly, although not absolutely necessary, I think it would be very nice to see a "bombard" type medieval cannon. To go all the way from a catapult to a 1700s type horse artillery seems to be quite a jump and a bit of a stretch.

IMHO, a lot of the other unit suggestions are incremental/interim units or highly specialized units that don't really fit into the scope of the game. Although fun, a lot of these units would hardly get built before the next type of unit is available (e.g. WWI fighter).

So, to sum it up: most important is a Bayonnet Musket Infantry and Armored Cruiser. Of secondary importance would be B-52 type jet-bomber, medieval Bombard Cannon, and a Ship-of-the-Line.

Well, here's for hopin'. :goodjob:

And thanks in advance. :D

I am currently filling the request of GenPatton on a truck and Scipio's request for Scud launcher :)

But I sure love to do those musket infantries. I love those plums on their hats so to say ;)

I feel strongly about the lacking of ancient/middle age ship as well. Even when you get a Frigate it is still hard to sink a Galleon. Since Moeniir just posted his latest version of Flicster, I hope there will be more people interested in making new animation for new units. Once I completed the current request I will most likely work on a Special Op unit (which I have wanted to do for a while now). But all these units are also what I would like to do. No promises on when they can be completed. But if no one do them, I will :D

Originally posted by Dark Sheer
I am currently filling the request of GenPatton on a truck and Scipio's request for Scud launcher :)
Understood. ;)

But I sure love to do those musket infantries. I love those plums on their hats so to say ;)
Definitely! But I think you meant "plumes". :D

I feel strongly about the lacking of ancient/middle age ship as well. Even when you get a Frigate it is still hard to sink a Galleon.
But this is easily remedied by changing the stats of the units, which is what I plan to do. . . not to stop you from making a cool new unit, though. ;)

But all these units are also what I would like to do. No promises on when they can be completed. But if no one do them, I will :D

Thanks, you're the best. :goodjob:

DS,

I must say I love what you have done so far and can't wait to see what comes next.

I am really looking forward to the Spec-Ops unit. Which real life unit are you planning on modeling them after?

I hope to start work on the Crusader unit now that there is a new version of Flicster. The medieval swordsman is also a much needed unit. I agree with all who have mentioned it.

Is the number of additional units we can add unlimited? If so it would be great to eventually have all unique units, or at least culturally unique units. Asian units were so much different than European units. And Native American and African units are also vastly different in design.

To anyone out there:

Is it possible to get Blue Orange's units posted on this board. His work is on Apolyton's forum but I can't seem to download from there. Could be that they are still having problems.

He has what sound like some great units: Power Armor, BattleMech, Amazons ;)

I tried to register there but it is taking a long time to go through.

Thanks

Dark Sheer

I have an idea for a unit, and wanted to ask for your learned opinion.

An army-type unit, for workers. Call it an engineering battalion or whatever. You build it like an army, then load it full of workers. The idea is to lessen the amount of effort it takes to direct stacks of workers around your empire one at a time.

I came up with the idea while tediously cleaning up polution in our german succession game.

Is such a unit even possible?

If not, is there a way to make an "engineer" unit, like Civ2, that works faster?

Would increasing the movement rate of a worker-type unit increase its "work speed" (ie. mining, irrigating etc.)?

Sorry about all the questions. Its mainly just food for thought.;)

Nice frigate, btw. :goodjob:

Sounds like Dark Sheer's work load is pilling up, or very well could be. Once I finish my Carrier unit from modifying the Super Carrier (the normal carrier in CivIII is a Super Carrier) I think I'll try and help fill out some of the requests. Just to keep Dark Sheer playing CivIII and not making animations all day which oooo so boring. I don't work as fast as Dark Sheer can, however I think I can make some pretty good units :) I think, which remains to be seen I suppose. So once I finish this bad boy up and release my realism mod (ehem, is this also partially a shameless advertisment? I think so) then I think I will start work on the Medievel swordmen based off the normal Swordsman. I'm probably gonna stab myself in the foot for this later, but spread the joy right?

I hope this can partially repay you Dark Sheer for you helping me with that Scud Launcher. :)

Wow, lots of comments and suggestion :D

First, I am glad to hear that more people is working on new unit animation now. That would make my list shorter and I can play more Civ3 :lol:

Second, increase the movement points for workers does not increase their work rate. No matter how many movement points they have it always finish when you do a terraforming work such as irrigation and still take the same amount of time :(

However, I never try the concept of an army of workers. Maybe that might work ? ;)

Not owrking on any new unit animations yet Dark Sheer. Have to finish my Carrier first which is gonna take a longgggg time if I want it to have the perfection I require :D. But i'll help with some of your requests due to the fact as you'll never get to play CivIII again with all these piled up.

Sorry Joespaniel, but I remember reading something that the Firaxis AI programmer said regarding exactly this idea, and he said the AI wouldn't be able to adapt to a unit like that, not yet anyway.
It's too bad, it would have been a cool unit, and I suppose with multi-player it'd still be okay.

Dark Sheer, told ya you'd be be in demand :) . I was hoping someone would do a SpecOp's unit, glad it turned out to be you Champ.

Originally posted by joost1110
Where can I got Animation Shop? Can I download it or do I have to buy it?

You can download a trial version for 30 days from http://www.jasc.com

However, with the new Flicster by Moeniir (get it from the utility section of the forum) you do not need Animation Shop. All you need is a program than can edit pcx files (such as the paint program from Windows ;) )

Just letting you know, Dark Sheer, that I've used this unit animation as an optional add-on for my LWC mod. It's repacked as the Modern Destroyer (link to the LWC mod in my signature).

One question for you though. Will you be making a .pcx graphic available for use in the units_32.pcx file? If I remember right there was one earlier in the thread but only as a fuzzy little .jpg, which really wouldn't do.

Excellant work on all you've done, btw :goodjob: It's verra nice :)

Originally posted by Plutarck
Just letting you know, Dark Sheer, that I've used this unit animation as an optional add-on for my LWC mod. It's repacked as the Modern Destroyer (link to the LWC mod in my signature).

One question for you though. Will you be making a .pcx graphic available for use in the units_32.pcx file? If I remember right there was one earlier in the thread but only as a fuzzy little .jpg, which really wouldn't do.

Excellant work on all you've done, btw :goodjob: It's verra nice :)

Ah, the master of LWC mod. I actually incorporated alot of your ideas into my own mod :goodjob:

I am attaching a copy of my own units_32.pcx here for you to copy and use some of the icons. It includes all the icons for those units created by me, gunship (flc by BlueO), hind (flc by Haverlock) plus some repeated icons in the game for units which uses back some of the game's flc until I create some flc for them :D

Attachments

• new units_32.zip
    33.5 KB · Views: 204
Thanks!

And if you create any more .flc's for units used in the LWC mod I'll include those too. I await your future products :D

Thanks for all the replys to my idea.

Too bad about the engineer unit. I hate pollution.:hammer:

For experimentation sake, I formed an army of marines and found out that it loses its amphibious assault ability in such a formation. So dont waste your time.

Cant wait to see the new units!

Top Bottom