Units : Animation for Perry Class Frigate

here's another look at the frigate. Great work DS!

Attachments

• perryrun_sw.gif
    perryrun_sw.gif
    27.6 KB · Views: 552
Dark Sheer, what programe did you use to make those animations? Where can i get it? Thanks Very much for the frigate it is Awsome.

I am a very simple guy. ;)

All I use is Flicster from Moeniir, Animation Shop & Paintshop Pro. Generally, I will use a current unit as a guide for size, select a frame size for my unit, then draw the first frame base on a real photo (this is the hardest part ;) ).

Once the first frame is up and satisfactory, I will proceed to draw 1 frame for each direction (8 direction in all but some are mirror image of the other for ship and vehicles). On doing the animation, I load the original flc from Firaxis and study them. Learn from the real artist from Firaxis and you never go wrong :D

From the original flc you can see how ship move and sway, how wave breaks when the ship moves etc. Learn from these flc and you too can create one that is as close to those as possible ;)

I am in the process of writing a simple tutorial on how to make unit animation but being a lazy person that I am, it will come a little slow. :lol: I am going to break it into a few parts so people only need to read those they want to know.

:king:

Originally posted by Dark Sheer
... being a lazy person that I am, it will come a little slow. ...

Lazy? This from the guy who has created more new units than anyone on the whole site? You are WAY too modest, man :D

Let us know when you get that tutorial done. I'm looking forward to it!

:cool:

sweet little unit!:D

I have an idea for its abilities: give it transport ability 2-3, tag "transport only tactical missiles" and "naval missile transport"(under AI) and flag the unload option.

For the missiles I downloaded the new units popeye,harpoon, and penguin anti-ship. I gave these missiles, plus the original cruise missile, load ability and tagged "tactical missile" under abilities.

Then load the missiles onto the ships after production in the game. You then have a "modern missile frigate". I did the same with the aegis cruiser but gave it a higher transport capacity. After all, the aegis is primarily for carrying and using a powerful missile system. Perry class also carry various missiles. To balance gameplay I gave them low attack/defense values (6/6).

Someone may argue the ships will be used for carrying tactical nukes, but in reality US and Russian ships do carry tactical nukes. There are certain obvious deterrents to using them though.

I downloded some of the units but have yet to be able to add the
I put them in the CIVpidea and art under units make folders for the unit as well as added them to the flcs folder. What have I done wrong or what have I missed. PLZ HELP!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ClanNosferatu
I downloded some of the units but have yet to be able to add the
I put them in the CIVpidea and art under units make folders for the unit as well as added them to the flcs folder. What have I done wrong or what have I missed. PLZ HELP!!!!!!!!

Use the hacked 1.21 editor (available on the fanatics centre homepage) and replace the useless editor in the civ3 folder. Click on the civ3mod.bic icon in the civ3 folder and the editor will start. Add "Modern Frigate" and choose an icon. Don't use any other name for this unit and make sure your art/units folder has the exact same name:otherwise, the game will crash when you click on the icon on the build list. Edit the unit as you like and it should work.

If this doesn't work leave another message here and describe exactly what you did and what happened.

Originally posted by unscratchedfoot

If this doesn't work leave another message here and describe exactly what you did and what happened.

:o k tried that but I do not see the icon for the unit I am tring to add like there is one called shadow warrior that I would like to use but in the icon list it does not show up. What did I do wrong.

Originally posted by ClanNosferatu

:o k tried that but I do not see the icon for the unit I am tring to add like there is one called shadow warrior that I would like to use but in the icon list it does not show up. What did I do wrong.

For the icon you have to use paint pro to cut and paste the picture from this website or an user_32 included by the designer. If you don't know how to do that you can download one of the user_32 provided in the unit graphics forum by helpful designers. The one by Dark Sheer has most of the units in this forum.

In short: download a user32 and replace yours with it then go back to the editor or use paint pro. If all else fails just use the destroyer icon. It doesn't matter if more than one unit has the same icon.

Good luck!

Originally posted by unscratchedfoot

For the icon you have to use paint pro to cut and paste the picture from this website or an user_32 included by the designer. If you don't know how to do that you can download one of the user_32 provided in the unit graphics forum by helpful designers. The one by Dark Sheer has most of the units in this forum.

In short: download a user32 and replace yours with it then go back to the editor or use paint pro. If all else fails just use the destroyer icon. It doesn't matter if more than one unit has the same icon.

Good luck!

Now that helped I have one more thing to ask do I need the PRTO_nameofunit for it to work???:D :D :D :cool:

Darky! PLZ help me out!!!!

- I downloaded your zip files
- Put the pcx files in the directory u said
- Have the Civ3CopyTool
- downloaded you smalle pic to put in unit_32

And now what? I have made a new map..........the Copy tool is asking for a BIC file (wtf is a bic file?).
Does it mean here my home made map?
Any way if i search for the Modern Frigate......its not there?

Can sombody explain me in a few staps how i can add a custom unit!!

Originally posted by Eliminator
Darky! PLZ help me out!!!!

- I downloaded your zip files
- Put the pcx files in the directory u said
- Have the Civ3CopyTool
- downloaded you smalle pic to put in unit_32

And now what? I have made a new map..........the Copy tool is asking for a BIC file (wtf is a bic file?).
Does it mean here my home made map?
Any way if i search for the Modern Frigate......its not there?

Can sombody explain me in a few staps how i can add a custom unit!!

Look at the previous 4 messages. Don't use the copytool. The hacked editor is better. It's very easy to use. Make sure you download those zip files into folders in your units folder. #$%@ copytool just makes my editor crash. I think it needs another program called v8 or something so don't bother with it. By the way, the bic file is the blue civIII icon in the civ3 folder. You should copy it before editing (back-up).

Just something minor...

What attributes do you suggest for the frigate?

Oh and DarkSheer, what will i tell my citizens when they see your wonderful creation rolling off the dry dock to defend their country? will they leave me and join you?

Anyways, i think you (DarkSheer) should create a Russian type warship, you know, with the huge torpedo tubes on the sides..

well cya..

Top Bottom