Unlock more civs in the demo

pingualot

Chieftain
I was playing around in the demo files and I have managed to unlock 3 more civs so you can play them in the demo.

The reason why I cannot do all of them is because there is only 6 civs included in the demo files. But you do get these 6:
  1. England (NEW)
  2. Rome (NEW)
  3. Germany (NEW)
  4. Persia
  5. Greece
  6. Egypt

Download the XML file

Because the method is a bit confusing I have provided the relevant XML file so you can just place it in the correct place.

England, Rome and Germany unlocked: Here: On the download site find the "save file to pc" link.

Persia,Greece and Egypt (for when you want to go back to them): Here

Place the file in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v - demo\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Civilizations

For XP, 32 bit Vista and 7. I believe the only difference is that there is no (x86) on Program files.

Remember to overwrite the existing file.

Method

Step 1: Go to: (In vista and 7 64 bit)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v - demo\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Civilizations

For XP, 32 bit Vista and 7. I believe the only difference is that there is no (x86) on Program files.

Step 2: Open the CIV5Civilizations XML file with notepad. Then use the replace tool or Ctrl+H and put <Playable>false</Playable> in "Find what" and nothing in the "Replace with" box.

Step 3: Save and close the file and run the demo to have access to all those civs. Make sure you don't then select the Barbarian civ as it gives a blank screen, if you do press ESC to go to the main menu.

You can also change the game speed so things build faster and move more etc but unless there is demand for a how to on that I won't

Have fun,
Pingualot​

Nice! Thanks :goodjob:

I've tried doing it manually and I've tried doing it by downloading and using your .xml file, but the result is the same. I get to choose the 3 new civs, but after I start a game with one of them, I crash to desktop as soon as I press "Next Turn"...

I too had the problem with the CTD on first turn. So I saved the game on before I did anything else starting with Germany. Exited to windows. Put the original file back in, then start the game and loaded the game with Germany. After that it would not CTD when hitting next turn :D . Recommend creating a save with each civ on startup.

Top Bottom