Upgradable Buildings

nationstate

Chieftain
I just had a great idea on how to fix buildings in districts, especially Theatre Squares. One of the problems with districts is that they only allow 3 placeable buildings. This means that some types of buildings from previous games, such as cultural ones, must be cut from the game due to a lack of space. It would be cool in the modern era if you could upgrade these buildings at the cost of production. This mechanic is already present in the game with the upgrading of walls. Power plants can also be converted (upgraded) after gathering storm.

What if the base 3 cultural buildings are Amphitheatre > Opera > Museum. In the Modern Era, Amphitheatres could upgrade to Movie Theatres and still hold works of writing which would become Scripts. Many early films were based on works on writing including many in the game. Opera Houses could become Broadcast Towers which would still hold works of music and play them over the radio. These upgraded buildings would get tourism bonuses over the old ones. Also, America's Film Studio could be replaced with a unique museum (the Smithsonian) and hold both artifacts and art.

Other districts could have upgradable buildings such as Library>Public School; Market> Supermarket; Stable>Garage. Districts could also have adjacent buildings such as a Campus being able to build an Observatory onto an adjacent mountain.

I think yields and person points for buildings should be cut in half with full yields and points only given when worked.

My other Idea is to help balance Writers, Artists and Musicians by giving them a secondary ability so they would be useful for non-culture victories. Writers come very early in the game and could give cultural eurekas and boosts similar to scientists. Artists could guarantee a golden age and musicians could start bands and go on concert tours (making rock bands unnecessary). Do you think these changes would help? Let me know in the comments

I always thought building upgrades are a great idea.

I'd prefer to have the upgrades tied to city size to help promote tall empires. For example, you could have a basic factory that could be built in any city but if you grow that same city to 10, you could upgrade it to a manufacturing plant with extra production. If you grow it to 20, you could further upgrade it for even a larger boost. This could make tall empires a viable alternative to going wide which is currently a better strategy.

I like having the option for both strategies - tall and wide.

Top Bottom