User review: Teeworlds (open source game), faster than firefox!

suiraclaw

Hell is other people
I advise everybody to get the game now, that way it'll be installed before you finish this text.

http://www.teeworlds.com/

Teeworlds is a fast-paced 2d sidescrolling multiplayer-only shooter played on a computer. The game features cartoon-themed graphics and physics, and relies heavily on classic shooter weaponry and gameplay. In the game, you roleplay a Tee, a cute ball who carries around various weaponry and a hook, allowing some Spiderman like movement. Teeworlds is open source and runs on all major operating systems.

Teeworlds gameplay can, despite it's small size, compete with bigger and expensive productions in terms of fun and innovation. What sets Teeworld apart from other sidescrollers game is it's huge focus on mobility, it's innovative use of the grappling hook and it's weaponry. The instant respawn is also well implemented.

You start the game with only a hammer and a long range pistol (and the hook), but there are other weapons lying around (on most maps they're everywhere). So ammunition isn't too much of an issue. The weapons are varied and better players will learn to switch weapons quickly as they each have their own, very specific, situations.

Having weapons and clicking fast isn't everything in this game: due to the ammo being relatively slow and the liberty the grappling hook offers evading bullets can be done. In a fight between more experienced players, the Tees will usually move at a speed that makes hitting the opponent a matter of good timing and prediction. Sadly, it's pretty hard to find the better players.

One of the biggest goals of the Teeworlds crew is to make their game very casual friendly, or in other words, to attract casual gamers. According to my chronometer they did that pretty well: 15 seconds from launching the game to firing a gun (after picking a decent server). Compare that to the +20 seconds a cold launch of firefox takes (cold launch = first launch after the computer started) you can see why Teeworlds can concurrent with the casual friendly flash games. This test also explains my subtitle.

Besides (Team) Deatmatch and CTF with normal weaponry, there are plenty of modded servers featuring other types of weaponry. Plus, you can participate in a race.

While it can't concurrent with top games like TF2 and L4D (nor tries to), Teeworlds has it's place as a fast, fun game that is perfect for when you want to get some distraction in little time. Fans of the 2d sidescroller shooter genre should certainly try this game.

I remember playing this some time ago, back when it was called Teewars. Fun game, I'll download it and see if anything has changed

Top Bottom