Using great person to discover technology sometimes does nothing!

Zibby

Chieftain
First let me say I love this game, especially since the new patch, but it still anoys me that there are sometimes little bugs that just shouldnt be there.

For instance, Ive found on occasions (rare, but still) that using a great person to discover a free technology does not do anything at all, just uses the great person. In my most recent example (of which I have a save just before which I can post if anyone is interested) I am way ahead technologically, use a scientific great person for electricity, and he just disappears, but no electricity (even 2-3 turns later)

Has any one else encountered this? And is there any way to fix this at all?

Thanks,

Zibby

This is NOT a bug. Great people only contribute a certain set amount towards a technology.

Bast said:
This is NOT a bug. Great people only contribute a certain set amount towards a technology.

This is the case. The reason you might not have noticed it before is that early on the amount of research a scientist provides IS enough. Later on it can be as small as 1/2 or so.

Yeah, it took me a while to figure it out also. Great Leaders only provide a certain amount of research points towards a particular technology. Up until around the Middle Ages the amount of points provided by the Great Leader exceeds the amount of research needed for the tech, thus you get used to the idea of instant technologies. The later technologies cost more and the Great Leaders just doesn't measure up to the task anymore.

I grab techs now and then early on in the game, but once past the Middle Ages I feel there are better things to do with my Great Leaders than waste them on a tech that not only will they not complete immediately, but on a technology I probably can trade for and not really need. Academies, religious wonders, rush-productions for other wonders, golden ages, culture bombs, specialized citizens all are more solid investments than the 'discover technology' button in my humble opinion.

In Zibby's defense, when you click on the 'Discover Technology' button..you expect to discover the technology promised. Otherwise it is more of 'Help Research Technology' button.

I thought that too but there are two instances for a Great Person. Sometimes a tech is cheap enough for the guy to research in one, but when it's too dear it'll only contribute a certain amount of beakers (it'll either say one or the other)

If the tech isn't favourable and it's too expensive, I'd suggest waiting for another tech and then use the Great Person to research that instead :)

I don't know whether Zibby was suffering an actual bug or what you suggested, but I've definitely seen this problem (only once) as an actual bug.

I had one great scientist stored waiting for either a different great person for a golden age or to use him on a more expensive tech than the one on offer (compass). Another great scientist was born, and I decided not to wait, just to take the free compass and then see what the other scientist could do...

So, I clicked to discover the technology. It definitely said it would do all of it (I've been playing quite a bit so would spot the difference). Nothing happened, but quite a lot else was going on so I forgot to look at my other great scientist for a few turns. When I did look at him, I discovered that he could... discover Compass.

I tried switching research to compass to see whether I'd been mistaken and the previous scientist had only added beakers, but there were no beakers stored.

I know I didn't hallucinate the second scientist, so I can only conclude this is a bug.

Is everyone using version 1.52? Just want to clarify

(I wasn't when I posted last but I am now)

Hallo all

I bought the game about a month ago and love it. Just discovered the same problem Zibby's been having. Thanks for clarifying that it isn't a bug. They really should note that the Great Scientist only contributes to the discovery.

Top Bottom