Using Hardy Pioneers versus Regular Pioneers

prolefeed

Chieftain
Buying Hardy Pioneers is expensive, and building them in your schoolhouses/colleges/universities requires taking one Hardy Pioneer away from tile improvement to train the students, and uses up spaces in the education queue that might better go toward cranking out Elder Statesman.

Thus, I would suggest using regular Pioneers to build roads, and once the road is built using Hardy Pioneers to build more time-consuming improvements like mines and farms on it. Why? Because to work a square, you first need to hop onto it, which consumes a turn. So, on the quick setting, building a road with a regular pioneer takes 5 turns (one turn to hop on the square, 4 to build the road), while it takes 3 turns using a Hardy Pioneer (one turn to hop on the square, 2 to build). Thus, the 100% improvement building speed of a Hardy Pioneer falls to just a 60% advantage if used to build a road (5 divided by 3 equals 160%, minus 100% leaves a 60% advantage).

And, since the main improvement you should build is roads, especially around coastal cities liable to be attacked during the WoI, and for connecting cities to each other and to native villages, you can use cheaper regular Pioneers for this task, and not squander the double improvement speed of a Hardy Pioneer on non-improvement tasks like moving from one square to another.

Oh, and when you've improved all the useful squares around a city with a Hardy Pioneer, and you're ready to transfer it to another city several turns away, it might be quicker to join the improved city, turn your Hardy Pioneer into a scout for the double or triple speed movement advantage to the new city, and then grab some tools in the new city and become a pioneer again.

There is also an advantage in using Converted Natives as Pioneers. If you have de Maisonneuve in Congress they get an extra movement point so can move and start building on the same turn for Grassland, Desert, Plains, Marsh etc.

Thanks to you two, those are interesting ideas that I haven't seen in these hundreds of threads!

(Now the question is how fast I burn out on the game...)

I wonder if improving the land is even worth it. As a civ player, I dislike working unimproved tiles, so in my first game of Colonization, I prioritized pioneers. But it takes such a long time to improve the land ! (like 20 turns to chop a forest for a non-hardy pioneer on Epic speed). In civ, improving the land is much more valuable, and faster (for example, improving a pig is +3 food, and it takes 6 turns)

Oh, and when you've improved all the useful squares around a city with a Hardy Pioneer, and you're ready to transfer it to another city several turns away, it might be quicker to join the improved city, turn your Hardy Pioneer into a scout for the double or triple speed movement advantage to the new city, and then grab some tools in the new city and become a pioneer again.
You know, I missed this paragraph the first time around. I have often sent a Hardy Pioneer to another town this way...accompanied by a wagon carrying the tools! ;)

I found out by accident that you can promote Hardy Pioneers (I was using a GG to promote some Dragoons on the tile he was working). So I had to give the Pioneer a couple of promotions and Ranger I and II were available - now I have a Pioneer who can move to a forestry tile and start work the same turn. :)

Pity that trick won't work using him as a Militia Dragoon: whackaneighbor and presto!

In fact it would. Change the pioneer to a dragoon, win a battle or two until he is eligible for a promotion, change him back to a pioneer and then take the promotion. Repeat for the second promotion.

:hammer2:

If it was a dog, it would have bit me. Suddenly I feel Very Dense.

Top Bottom