v42 resource discovery bug

Valjean.913

Chieftain
Hi guys, thanks again for making and continuing to update C2C. Truly unbelievable what you've built here! I've loved it for years. I did notice something the appeared to be incorrect so thought I'd try and be helpful as best I can for a dumb guy. Relates to resource discovery by tile improvements. In v 42, the most recent, have noticed a couple times resources that don't appear to discover correctly. Most recently had a mine on a hill (ancient forest, grassland tile) discover apples.

I've also had a farm on grassland (freshwater) tile discover cows.

Also had cows discovered on the tile my capital was sitting on (a hill / grassland tile with no improvements).

Since none are within the expected behavior of that improvement's "small chance of discovering" item list thought I'd mention it here in case it's helpful.

It's by design, any worked tile can discover bonuses, even if there's no improvement there, as long as the bonus is valid for the plot.
The improvement, e.g. a mine, will add a greater chance to discover metals/minerals on top of the small background chance to discover any valid resource.
Improvement outside any city radius, but within your culture can only discover the resources specific to the improvement.

I feel like there's been a number of people confused by this. Might be worth adjusting the numbers slightly, and/or making two separate notifications, e.g. "industrious workers have discovered a source of Bonus" vs "citizens of CityName have discovered a nearby source of Bonus".

I feel like there's been a number of people confused by this. Might be worth adjusting the numbers slightly, and/or making two separate notifications, e.g. "industrious workers have discovered a source of Bonus" vs "citizens of CityName have discovered a nearby source of Bonus".
A different message might be in order... yeah.

I'd mention it here in case it's helpful.
A different message might be in order... yeah.
Just pushed this tweak to master. If it's a random chance discover (also reduced base odds from 1/300 to 1/400), message is:
Code:
Citizens of %s1_CityName have stumbled upon a nearby source of [COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT]%s2_BonusName[COLOR_REVERT]!
"Stumbles upon" helps show it's random, whereas for an improvement discovery, message is:
Code:
Industrious workers outside of %s1_CityName have discovered a source of [COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT]%s2_BonusName[COLOR_REVERT]!
Blacksmith event that spawns a copper resource uses the industrious workers message.

For the funz, am I right to say that there is a mechanism capable of changing existing uncovered plot-resources?
And if not, wouldn't it be fun to have one, even if with limited application?
Simplest example:
You "get rid" of wild Deer and "create pastures" for domestic Sheep on a specific plot that supports both.
Terraforming is already a thing - so what about Resourceforming, loool?

Top Bottom