v96 Huns - Strategic Resource penalties persist / plight of flipped units / intro card revision

Skojardu

Chieftain
Great new build!

I like how the game can be really different between different sessions. First time I played the Huns I got minimal pushback and rolled my way to 500 before finding a stout Persian defense. This saved game is a lot more difficult with Persia extremely strong at first contact. This is delightfully fuzzy :)

Strategic resource gripe
However, I thought that the Huns should be exempt from strategic resource penalties because they must raze cities and cannot collect resources from them aside from pillaging the improvements into gold. You will see my horseman has a 10:81 damage disadvantage attacking the Persian swordsman due to said penalty. Do Huns collect resources by pillaging said resources (as well as getting a gold reward)? If not, this seems like an oversight. This issue stems from the random barbarian or minor civ units you flip when you spawn into the world. I like the RNG of this, but these orphan units need more love:

Regarding utility / abilities of freebie non-canon units on spawn:
I am aware that the canon Hunnic unit one-two punch of horse archers and battering rams are free from resource requirements, but the random units you flip, including swordsmen, longswordsmen, and horsemen should not be paper tigers in my opinion, especially if we lose VPs when they die. (I am open to the assertion that the VP loss is so trivial it shouldn't matter, but they come in handy when the competition is stiff, like in the saved game below).
Also, bringing in an idea from another Civ mod: The Doviello weapon scavenger ability on a Fall From Heaven mod (Master of Mana) is cool. (They take copper / iron / mithril weapons from units they kill). The Huns feel thematically akin to the Doviello as a barbarian wrecking ball. In both games I've played, I got a warrior somewhere north. In RFC 5, If the Huns kill a resource wielding unit with a Warrior, (or with a weaker unit of the same upgrade track) could it upgrade to a Hunnic level of that unit? (ie, not a Cataphract, but a Horseman; not an Immortal, but a Spearman?) I'm not sure if the Huns need more buffs but that might be fun.

Info Card incorrect
The special buildings / abilities copy you see at the bottom of the listed info on the intro screen should be cut. Maybe replace with something fun like "Now you can play like a barbarian!"?

Attachments

• Horseman Atilla no horses.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: PiR
Top Bottom