Vassalage/unification through other means

void_genesis

Prince
I am really enjoying seeing the Vox populi project reach its final finishing stages. The early game is close to perfect but I get the sense people are still looking for ways of improving the late game. One idea that came to me recently was to add ways for AI civs to become incorporated into the players civ through non-violent means in the late game. Basically if you have an AI civ that you have kept on good terms with throughout enough of the game, is close to you, and has similar policies/ideologies/religions/enemies etc then once a certain technology is reached then they can choose to unite with you. This could also be tied to a world council resolution. This might be a nice alternative to unavoidable conquest (especially on higher difficulties) and give a player that isn't leading by the late game an alternative path to victory. Maybe the same code used for Venice to acquire city states could be used? It could also be a nice mechanism to allow weaker civs to gang up on run aways.

I am really enjoying seeing the Vox populi project reach its final finishing stages. The early game is close to perfect but I get the sense people are still looking for ways of improving the late game. One idea that came to me recently was to add ways for AI civs to become incorporated into the players civ through non-violent means in the late game. Basically if you have an AI civ that you have kept on good terms with throughout enough of the game, is close to you, and has similar policies/ideologies/religions/enemies etc then once a certain technology is reached then they can choose to unite with you. This could also be tied to a world council resolution. This might be a nice alternative to unavoidable conquest (especially on higher difficulties) and give a player that isn't leading by the late game an alternative path to victory. Maybe the same code used for Venice to acquire city states could be used? It could also be a nice mechanism to allow weaker civs to gang up on run aways.

That's the sort of conceptual change I don't think Gazebo is open to anymore.

This would make Diplomacy too powerful. WC resolutions only count votes, not opinion or relations. You could eat the world, part by part.
If you want to absorb someone, you have to go to war.
But something I would like to see is a "free-to-hunt"-Resolution, like a resolution of the UN to intervine into a civil war or kick a badass leader. If this pass versus a selected nation, you are not hit by warmongering by declaring war or conquer a city.

But something I would like to see is a "free-to-hunt"-Resolution, like a resolution of the UN to intervine into a civil war or kick a badass leader. If this pass versus a selected nation, you are not hit by warmongering by declaring war or conquer a city.

Don't sanctions already cover this role? If it passes against a civ, isn't the warmonger hit for dow or capturing cities reduced? Not sure by how much

I thought if it was limited to very late in the game, and only triggered under narrow circumstances then it could be interesting as a reward for prolonged friendly relations with a weaker neighbour. If it was limited to civs with similar policies, same religion and no history of wars then I don't think it would allow anyone to assimilate the whole map. If it triggered it wouldn't be a choice you would always say yes to since it would often mean taking on a weaker civs cities, with the corresponding penalties.

This sounds like something that could spice up those peaceful games which are extremely boring during mid/late game.

I've never seen it trigger even during peaceful games when everyone was getting along. Has anyone else seen friendly vassalage ever?
In the last 6 games ive seen it 3 times. One time, the vassal declared war against its master after only a short time (30 turns?)

If ideologies can spark late game conflict then surely they could also push long standing alliances into voluntary vassalage. I really wish the late game would involve blocs of ai and human players lining up to make a bipolar world and causing one final slap down ding dong fight.

I've never seen it trigger even during peaceful games when everyone was getting along. Has anyone else seen friendly vassalage ever?
I recall Gazebo saying that how threatened an AI feels is part of how it decides whether it wants to be a vassal, so they'd probably actually be less likely to do it in peaceful games where everyone was getting along.

I haven't been able to get voluntary vassals very often, but I did have a game where I got two civs to become my vassals in the same turn (they rebelled pretty quickly!). I believe that a relatively recent patch was supposed to make it harder to get voluntary vassals, though, so I don't know where that stands now.

Top Bottom