Video Game music

Narnia

Prince
How do I copy the music from a videogame I own to my MP3 player/windows media player library? The two games I can think of right now are Empire Earth 2 and Star Wars Battlefront
If this is illegal, please tell me so that I can ask a mod to delete this thread. I however seriously doubt that it is because 1. I own a legal copy of the game and the music plays when I play the game, so why can't I get the music to play when I"m not running the game? 2. It falls under fair use because the music is only a small part of the game and I am not profiting in any way by doing this, I just like the game's music.

This really depends on the game. Some games will have straight up wav files in a /music directory in their root. Others will have it compressed into an assets archive that can only be opened with a piece of software that only the developer has access to.

You're gonna need to do some googling of your own.

This is perfectly legal unless you distribute the music to other people who don't have the game.
As to copying it, Genocidicbunny is right, some games will have the music there, others will have it archived. I don't have either of those games, so I'll use Civ4 as an example. The entire soundtrack is in Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\Sounds\Soundtrack as mp3 files, so that was easy. Other games have certain assets packed up (civ does this for a lot of art). It can be unpacked by various utilities (for civ's fpk files, use pakbuild).

Top Bottom