Vokarya's Workshop: Wonders

I notice that Radio Telescope (national wonder) becomes available with Radar tech and gives bonus production for Observatory which requires Astronomy.
My personal opinion is that RT gives bonus for a building that is already aged because there's a big gap between Radar and Astronomy.

I notice that Radio Telescope (national wonder) becomes available with Radar tech and gives bonus production for Observatory which requires Astronomy.
My personal opinion is that RT gives bonus for a building that is already aged because there's a big gap between Radar and Astronomy.

It's meant as a minor bonus to help you set up additional cities in the late game. The primary benefits are the +30% science and +20% spaceship production.

Here's something I want to throw out. Is the National Redoubt still valuable? I created it to fill out the Guerrilla Warfare tech, which was folded into Combined Arms in v1015. It came to my attention when I was looking at free promotions.

There's nothing fatal about it, but there are a few different problems with it.
  • The Stealth I promotion contributes to the proliferation of free promotions on units. I counted 19 different possible sources of free promotions from buildings. Many of these sources have difficult requirements (UB, civic building, World Wonder) to fulfill, but National Redoubt is relatively easy to build, with only requiring a few Bunkers and a Peak.
  • The Industrial Era has a lot of National Wonders already. On a weighted average by number of techs, the Industrial Era should only have 11 National Wonders, not counting the resource-producers; it has 13.
  • The Redoubt was moved to Fascism tech when Guerrilla Warfare was removed, but that puts Fascism into the "greedy zone" with a trick count of over 6. It has the Single Party civic; the Interrogation Building and Revivalist Church; Permanent Alliances; the free Great General; and the Patrol I promotion. That is a trick count of 5.5 without the Redoubt.
So I'm wondering what it would hurt if the Redoubt was removed, or if the promotion was removed. Is there something else we could do with it? Possibly merging it with Flak Tower?

-Yeah personally I think I would agree with at least taking the free Stealth 1 Promotion off of National Redoubt, for whatever thats worth.

-In my opinion the Flak Towers and National Redoubts are different concepts. If I'm not mistaken the Flak Towers referenced by the ingame Nat. Wonder are the 8 towers constructed by Nazi Germany in 3 different cities to defend against Allied air raids and actually worked very well, whereas a National Redoubt is a final defensive seat of a besieged government that have sometimes been designated but have mostly not been built or used.
Thus, if I had the goal of reducing the Nat. Wonders available in the Industrial Era I would actually either:
A. Remove the Flak Tower and perhaps roll a small amount of its defensive bonus into the Military Airbase or
B. Nerf the Flak tower down from -100% damage from Air units (thats a lot), and remove its National Wonder classification, its kind of an awkward thing imo to have one city per Civ be basically immune to air damage. Also either give the city its in increased maintenance or just increase the :hammers: cost of building them so that they would be built only in the cities that need them rather than all over, this might also be somewhat historically representative, because although 8 were built, many more were planned.

-If one wanted to give National Redoubt a trick besides Stealth 1; I might recommend some kind of a happiness or war weariness buff, since most National Redoubts are never actually used, but our governments and politicians sure do seem happy to have them :groucho:.

Last edited:
I don't want Flak Tower as an ordinary building. There's already enough air defense buildings: Bunker and Radar Station in the Industrial Era, then Anti-Missile Batteries at the tail end of the Modern, and then there are upgrades. Another anti-air building would be redundant.

I'd actually like to take the air defense bonus off of Military Airbase/Aerospace Complex. Those buildings are already doing enough: they provide air unit experience, air unit production, air unit capacity, and airlift ability. The stacking of air defense can get out of hand. Bunker + Radar Station + Military Airbase + Anti-Missile Batteries would put a city at -80% air damage.

I don't mind having some stacking, when it's appropriately separated and has different requirements: Bunker is the first and just requires Cement and Iron/Steel; Radar Station comes later and requires Power; Anti-Missile Batteries is an entire era later. But air defense on Military Airbase seems to me to be an unnecessary extra effect.

Your original premise of just giving some air defense to National Redoubt and getting rid of Flak Tower would make sense then, in my opinion :thumbsup:.

I personally like the concept of giving some sort of happiness or war weariness bonus to National Redoubt. Though thats partly because it would conflict with the nearby Mt. Rushmore and that would provide an excuse to change Mt. Rushmore, a nat. wonder that I think is... weird. Thats probably just me though :dunno:

Last edited:
Here's another shuffle. I was updating my spreadsheet of current trick counts and I saw that Megacorporations has moved up into the "greedy zone" with 7 tricks: Corporations civic, Corporate Enclave building, Hypermarket building, Zurich-Orbital project, Zurich-Orbital Uplink building, Global Stock Exchange wonder, and free Great Merchant.

I'd like to move Global Stock Exchange up to Planetary Economics. PEcon has only 3 tricks (Omnifactory, Build Hybrid Forest, and the two minor tricks of +production from Geothermal Factory/Industrial Complex and +commerce from Geothermal Factory) so it could use a fourth. I'd also like to shuffle the Great Merchant as well but there isn't really any appropriate Transhuman tech with a low trick count.

SVN 1068 - World bank, NATIONAL WONDER.

I have a problem with the naming of a National wonder, as a World wide effect, World bank.

Can the naming be changed to 'Reserve bank', with a leading title based on the Government civic your currently in.

Republic - Republic of X Reserve bank.
Democracy - X Reserve bank
Federation- Federal Reserve bank of X
ETC for other civics, you get the idea.

SVN 1068 - World bank, NATIONAL WONDER.

I have a problem with the naming of a National wonder, as a World wide effect, World bank.

Can the naming be changed to 'Reserve bank', with a leading title based on the Government civic your currently in.

Republic - Republic of X Reserve bank.
Democracy - X Reserve bank
Federation- Federal Reserve bank of X
ETC for other civics, you get the idea.

It's named after the real one, including its ties to the International Monetary Fund. I'm not changing it, and you can't do a variable title like that.

In a newly conquered city, the wonders tab in city screen says(red characters) for some great wonders that you can construct e.g. only 1 wonder (because the city size has lowered since they were built).Does it mean that 2 in 3 great wonders are inoperative?Do I have to wait till the city grows enough to see the wonders working again?

Last edited:
Wonders are based on Cultural levels.

Newly conquered cities will be reset to Zero culture, hence the 1 wonder slot only.

Nothing to do with Population, its purely cultural levels, you could culture bomb the city to quickly boost its level.

Even then, Wonders don't shut down due to loss of culture. You simply can't build any additional wonders in that city until the culture level rises to the point where there is room under the cap.

I don't know if we need any more wonders but I just have "another great idea" :lol:

I recall that there was a mod where one of the leaders' trait was to be in peace with the barbarians. So the wonder effect idea is this:
  • When built signs a 10 turns peace-treaty with the Barbarians
  • After the treaty is over, the Barbarians can be attacked normally and they become hostile again
  • If 10 turns pass without any fighting with the Barbarians a new peace-treaty is signed
I know it sounds similar to the Great Wall but I think it's still different enough and would be useful and fun enough to consider it as a Classical or Medieval wonder.

Here are a couple tweaks I want to make.

Brewery and Glassmith: These buildings have to thread a rather narrow space. They are National Wonders so they don't proliferate too much, but they are also <bNoLimit> so they don't take up National Wonder slots in a city. The problem for me is that they have a civilization-wide effect, which is usually only seen on World Wonders. So I think there should be a little bit of an opportunity cost. To do this, I'm moving the resource requirement to in city vicinity. This way you may not get to use your best city for these wonders. I don't think I want to do this for the later craft Wonders. By the Industrial Era, transportation is much better established and so those buildings (Ironworks, Oil Refinery, Aluminum Factory) can be anywhere.

Greek Fire: This doesn't feel enough like a World Wonder because the promotion is only given to new units. This is pretty typical of National Wonders. In the XML is a tag that we are not currently using: <bApplyFreePromotionOnMove>. This tag applies the free promotion to units that end their turn in the city. So I'm turning this on for Greek Fire. I could do this with Events, but I want the ability to stop if you lose the Fire. Event-granted promotions apply to all appropriate units for the rest of the game, although you could clear events.

Greek Fire: This doesn't feel enough like a World Wonder because the promotion is only given to new units. This is pretty typical of National Wonders. In the XML is a tag that we are not currently using: <bApplyFreePromotionOnMove>. This tag applies the free promotion to units that end their turn in the city. So I'm turning this on for Greek Fire. I could do this with Events, but I want the ability to stop if you lose the Fire. Event-granted promotions apply to all appropriate units for the rest of the game, although you could clear events.
Good point! I like it.
But will the AI know how to use it? (just curious)

Good point! I like it.
But will the AI know how to use it? (just curious)

Not sure. There is code to make the AI value free promotion on move buildings more, but I don't know if there is also code to make the AI send its units to the city to get the promotions. I just tried looking for "freepromotiononmove" in the sources files.

Top Bottom