Vox Populi on linux

Recommend TKG kernel (pds) for best gameplay results.
https://github.com/Frogging-Family/linux-tkg
Code:
~/.../My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5 >>> yay -Qm | grep -i linux516-tkg                
linux516-tkg-pds 5.16.11-246
linux516-tkg-pds-headers 5.16.11-246
This is script I made to clean and verify the cache and other dirs after each VP update.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
printf "====>>>> BEFORE CLEANING\n"
du -h -d 0 ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/8930/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My\ Documents/My\ Games/Sid\ Meier\'s\ Civilization\ 5/
rm -rf ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/8930/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My\ Documents/My\ Games/Sid\ Meier\'s\ Civilization\ 5/cache
rm -rf ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/8930/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My\ Documents/My\ Games/Sid\ Meier\'s\ Civilization\ 5/Logs
rm -rf ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/8930/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My\ Documents/My\ Games/Sid\ Meier\'s\ Civilization\ 5/ModUserData
rm -rf ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/8930/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My\ Documents/My\ Games/Sid\ Meier\'s\ Civilization\ 5/Text
printf "====>>>> AFTER CLEANING\n"
du -h -d 0 ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/8930/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My\ Documents/My\ Games/Sid\ Meier\'s\ Civilization\ 5/
I'm finding that VP runs perfectly inside of Proton, recommend Glorious Eggroll's custom:
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom
Code:
/.../My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5 >>> yay -Qm | grep -i proton-ge              
proton-ge-custom-bin 1:GE_Proton7_1-1

Last edited:
Not working for me. Installation went fine, I found the folder, copy the UI_1 to the DLC folder inside Assets folder, but the game just resumes to the steam client when I click the play button (directX version doesn't make difference).

It works flawlessly on Manjaro, through the native client.
Make sure you place the mod files in the right folder. If using native linux runtime, place them in the /aspyr mod folder (it's structured like MyDocuments, just do a kfind for "aspyr", it should be the sole folder on your system).
If you run the .exe to install, find the mod files and place them in the aspyr folder. ALL FILES MUST BE LOWER CASE. Personally, I just "zip *" and "unzip -LL" the file to do that, there's probably better ways.
If you run through Proton (6.3 is fine), you need to place the files in the compatdata folder, under steamapps, for the game (run protontricks -s "civ" to get the right folder number). In that compatfolder, there will be a c:\ drive, find the MyDocuments mod folder therein and place the mod files there instead of the aspyr folder. Aspyr is only used for the native client. The files do NOT need to be all lower case if running on Proton.
Ok, I'm back with native version now :) as you said, works flawesly on manjaro. But still, can't play Vox Populi. This is what I did:

• Download & unzip -LL EUI alone. Placed on steam dlc folder and run. It Works.
  • Removed EUI then..
    • Download & unzip -LL VoxPopuli (from github releases to get the zip)
    • Followed all instructions on VP folders to make the manual install.
    • Edited all .modinfo files. Just passed a regex on vscode to lowercase only filenames, I checked a couple of times everyfile for any error.
    • then bc_ui and vpui to game folder, voxpopuli to aspyr mods folder. Dont Work
  • Remade last point but using the automatic installer (to an individual folder where I remade all the steps at hand). Don't Work.
  • And tryed without lowercasing too. Don't work
Everytime it crashes when is loading the mods. (after choose mods). What I'm missing? And how can I debug? or get some error to have a clue what is failling, running from cli don't give any error.

Anyway Im testing some other mods, not dll mods are working nice, but is not the same :(

Edit: lowercasing the files, I find that mostly textures.dds called from EUI and VPUI, are not present in the game or aspyr folders. could be the issue? I can check on my windows dvd not sure if matches with aspyr version.

Hi .. Did you get this working? I just installed PoP OS, then steam client and clicked on CIV 5 install. The game launches and runs perfectly (I am assuming this is running native client?). Now trying to figure out how to get Vox populi working.

Hi .. Did you get this working? I just installed PoP OS, then steam client and clicked on CIV 5 install. The game launches and runs perfectly (I am assuming this is running native client?). Now trying to figure out how to get Vox populi working.
I was able to get it working following the above guide https://github.com/TeaDrinkingProgrammer/Civilization-V-Vox-Populi-on-Linux . Only change being that I was on fedora and that I was using https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom instead of the normal proton listed in the guide. Only issue should be dealing with the different install location of protontricks but refer to step #3 in the guide for instructions.

For anyone wondering about how it compares to windows experience, it is very much similar through my subjective experience. Turn times are fairly identical. I did a run, ran into an issue with a mod, was tracking down the problem and switched to windows to narrow down potential issues (based on past experiences), and did notice "snappier" actions but perhaps due to starting new game or due to using nvidia card with proprietary drivers on fedora (or my imagination). Was 100% playable though and the aforementioned issue wasn't related to OS.

I was able to get it working following the above guide https://github.com/TeaDrinkingProgrammer/Civilization-V-Vox-Populi-on-Linux . Only change being that I was on fedora and that I was using https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom instead of the normal proton listed in the guide. Only issue should be dealing with the different install location of protontricks but refer to step #3 in the guide for instructions.

For anyone wondering about how it compares to windows experience, it is very much similar through my subjective experience. Turn times are fairly identical. I did a run, ran into an issue with a mod, was tracking down the problem and switched to windows to narrow down potential issues (based on past experiences), and did notice "snappier" actions but perhaps due to starting new game or due to using nvidia card with proprietary drivers on fedora (or my imagination). Was 100% playable though and the aforementioned issue wasn't related to OS.
Thanks a lot for your response. I was able to get it working as well. Used the steam proton-experimental client and started base civ and it worked. Then ran the vox populi installer using WineZGUI. Copied the folders from the wine directory into steam civ 5 directory and everything worked as expected. 4-UC works as well with straight copy.

The proton version won't work no matter what I do. I tried over 30 proton versions and nothing changed, I always get these errors. Sometimes the launcher opens but that's it, it crashes right after I chose DX9/11.
The native version works fine though.
1669604979268.png
1669605141498.png

Nop, the true is I moved to aspyr version, and playing unmodded except for EUI. Probably best way to make it work is changing to windows or using a virtual machine, but I just get bored of reconfigure everything in every VP version. Anyway I get fun with only EUI, latest version is awesome.

Top Bottom