vpn issues

bramlet

Chieftain
hello I have my buddy on a vpn network he can ping me but my pings to him time out. I can host a game and he can see it in his lobby but it never connects. When he hosts the game I cannot even see it. We have tried all sorts of settings. disabling firewalls. I think i had him open every port on his router, and i still can't ping him. I can ping his real ip on the command line but never through the vpn even though a civ 4 game works. please diagnose for us.

well i try... (german here, my english isnt the best)

ping is using icmp protocol - this protocol is not neccessarly active by default... so if its not active the computer isnt answering on ping request but u can play with others.

well if u try to play with 2 peple try OpenVPN, this vpn software supports layer 2 vpn - so it also transmits broadcasts in the network - i tested it and it works very well with civ 5 for at least 2 players. with vpn programs like tungle or wippien i cant get a game running - sometimes its found but i never managed to join.
i also tried win2008 server with vpn but no success.

for openvpn i used:
vmware server - its free
openvpnas - its a ready running vm ware machine wich can be importet and started by vmware with some simple mouse clicks.
putty - small program to create accounts on the machine

well if firaxis dont manage to bring direktip to the game playing with steam leaves the only option for the most players.

I think that is a tad to complex for the average MP player, Hamachi is relatively simple to setup, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. Any recommendations for equally simple VPN's that work?

CS

as i dont get any more response of the poster, so iam not sure if it works, but have u tried the thing with the metric from this post :
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=386034
?

Well I certainly understand that post, this falls under the two complex of a fix for most people to be practical. I have a hard enough time getting people to locate their Steam ID let alone adjust the network adaptor metric :-/

CS

yes we both had changed the metric to no avail

That is unfortunate, anyone know of another VPN as easy to setup as Hamachi?

CS

Top Bottom