• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Waiting for Complete?

SG-17

Deity
Normally when I buy Civ games I wait for the Complete Edition to come out. However with V's DLC model and the first (of two I'm guessing) Expansion Pack only comes out next month I don't think a Complete Edition will be out for over another year.

I can't check Steam right now, and I'd rather have retail but is there a release of Civ V that includes all of the DLC and will include Gods and Kings?

yeah its gonna be awhile but there was the game of the year edition that included (i think all and if not than most) of the DLCs but youll have to get GAK separately

Yes, actually I do. In the state the game is right now (abysmal AI, bugs, imbalances, Steam), I am not very much interested in getting it. Should there be - like there is for IV - a Complete Edition without online DRM stuff I might consider getting it.

Yes, actually I do. In the state the game is right now (abysmal AI, bugs, imbalances, Steam), I am not very much interested in getting it. Should there be - like there is for IV - a Complete Edition without online DRM stuff I might consider getting it.

There will never be a Non-steam version of Civ 5. I know that for a fact.

Either way, if there's another expansion pack coming out after God and Kings we'll have to wait for a while.

Stream is really not as bad as most people think.

1) You use steam to buy a lot of games, these usually are dropped in price after a while and there are frequent sales. Really nice.
2) You can install a game as many times as you like on multiple computers. No limitations here. (Also automatic updates.)
3) It keeps track of the DLC you have and again, it's easy to buy cheap DLC if you want. Nothing forced.
4) You don't even need to be online, you only need to be online once in order to download the game. After that you can just go offline mode. Losing internet connection is also no biggy.
5) It's also a social platform that has communities, a friend list and what not. The friend list also allows you to join multiplayer matches of your friends.

The ONLY downside to steam is:
- You can only run one instance of steam at the same time. So you can't play the same game on two different computers.
That however makes perfect sense as you bought only one copy and with frequent sales, getting an extra copy is really cheap later on.

Compare that to other DRM such as the 'always need to be connected to our server' that a lot of games are packed with now. (Most notably Diablo 3.) or the 'you can only install the game a couple of times (Settlers 7 has that one I believe.).
Well you really have nothing to complain.

Steam is not DRM, it's a platform for convenience that you can practically ignore (unlike windows live).

I don't have a problem with Steam, I like Steam. I just prefer having the disk for series games like Civ, so I can have the entire series proudly lined up on my bookshelf.

So the Game of the Year Edition comes with all of the DLC but Gods and Kings comes out in a month for $30? Do you think that there will be a "Gold Pack" that includes the game and GoK like there was for Civ3 with Civ3 and Play the World?

I would be kind of surprised if a "Complete" version of 5 comes out for a long time (shortly before civ 6 is released would be my guess). As long as they are actively working on the game they will probably be periodically throwing out new DLC civs which aren't the sort of things you would see in a compilation type release (which tend to be more focused on rebooting older releases).

I suppose it all depends on exactly what qualifies as a complete edition though. I would expect them to start bundling the older bits of DLC on steam once there gets to be enough of them that buying individually is prohibitively expensive. It's in their interests to keep the cost to get a completed version of the game from getting out of control. At some point it will become more practical to do that through bundling than the current technique of steam sales (and indeed I think that is already how you find the game in the store as some kind of GOTY edition with the earlier DLC bundled).

Civilization 4: Complete didn't come out until about two years after the last expansion pack was released. Based on past data my best guess for a similar version of civilization 5 would be mid 2015, but who knows?

There will never be a Non-steam version of Civ 5. I know that for a fact.

...than bye bye Civ 5 :thumbsdown:

Could it be, that this is the first time, I have the same opinion as gps? :D

Top Bottom