Warlords- What is it good for, absolutely nothing ugh!

Zombie69 said:
I'm talking about before Blue Marble even existed as a mod. We don't seem to be talking about the same time frame here.

I have an ATI AIW 9800 - it worked with the game out of the box in December last year. I could play with High Graphics settings with no on screen problems.

I did of course have problems with memorry leaks and the game slowing down. But I only remember having one Crash to Disk.

Each patch improved performance and removed those problems.

My only problem now is I need more RAM to play larger maps.

naterator said:
is this just an english thing or what? it must be nice to be able to return opened software. in america, if i tried to return my civ IV the day after it came out, opened, they'd probably give me $5-$10, considering it nothing more than a used game.

No - you can not return opened PC games for a refund in England. At best they will swap it for a new copy if you say the disk is deffective. At least in the majority of places.

Zombie69 said:
I'm talking about before Blue Marble even existed as a mod. We don't seem to be talking about the same time frame here.

What I'm saying is that Civ 4 worked perfectly on my ATI Video Card without Blue Marble Mod running. When I had Blue Marble running, it made my graphics work like crap.

Zombie69 said:
Actually, most ATI cards, recent or not, didn't work at all. You probably didn't read the forums back then or you'd know all about it.
So you really think the complaints of a few dozen people on a message board represents "most" of the owners of the most widespread video card brand in the world? If "most" ATi owners really had problems then there would be thousands upon thousands of complaints and Civ 4 would have failed horribly.

DaviddesJ said:
This is certainly not true. The overwhelming majority of people who have expressed an opinion on the quality of the game think that they got a great deal for their money.

Read the whole paragraph if your going to snip. I wasn't even talking about those people.

King Flevance said:
Read the whole paragraph if your going to snip. I wasn't even talking about those people.

You wrote, "What most of us are stating is we bought a game that is not worth the money paid out." I read this several times and it still seems equally untrue every time. Who is the "us" that you refer to? You're only talking about yourself and your two friends who feel the same way?

If what you mean is, "Most of the people who think Civ4 isn't worth the money, think that Civ4 isn't worth the money," then that's a rather vacuous statement. You could say the same thing about any product.

No, in his sentence "us" included all people who are bashing Firaxis in this thread (including me), and "most of us" included those who thought the amount paid was relevant (excluding me). I thought it faily obvious, maybe it wasn't, depending on the point of view.

Zombie69 said:
No, in his sentence "us" included all people who are bashing Firaxis in this thread (including me), and "most of us" included those who thought the amount paid was relevant (excluding me).

That's three people, right? The King, the Commander, and you. The Commander seems to hate all things Firaxis regardless of price, and you seem pretty much in the same camp. So I don't think he's even managed to achieve "most" of those three.

P.S. Why is it that the people with the least cogent opinions have the most grandiose titles? Someone should write a dissertation on that.

DaviddesJ said:
You wrote, "What most of us are stating is we bought a game that is not worth the money paid out." I read this several times and it still seems equally untrue every time. Who is the "us" that you refer to? You're only talking about yourself and your two friends who feel the same way?

If what you mean is, "Most of the people who think Civ4 isn't worth the money, think that Civ4 isn't worth the money," then that's a rather vacuous statement. You could say the same thing about any product.

Well it isn't in that specific paragraph. You actually have to go up and read all of the post. That involves a whole 3 paragraphs. Having read that, it should point out that "us" refers to those posting that are unhappy with Civ 4. I am talking about people in general that don't feel that Civ 4 isn't worth the money. If think every person dissappointed in Civ 4 still comes into the Civ 4 forums, namely general discussions, your wrong. I know there is some that have went almost completely back to three and still hang out on those forums. More still don't post anymore as why would they? And more still bought the game, it didn't work and they either returned it for something else or simply put it aside and went on about their business. Thus, they don't post here. Don't assume that the only people upset all flock to this site to complain. I doubt many even bother coming here anymore if in fact they ever did.

I am finding myself only checking in for the MTDG and the FfH updates and discussions. Along with an occassional browse through the modding forums. I only come in to General Discussions when I am bored and happen to be on the site like now. Or when I wonder myself into the ideas and suggestions subforum. I usually only post in Gen Discussion when someone makes a post that has a problem and hasn't been answered yet. OR like this post, a good discussion concerning viewpoints on the game and company who makes it. If threads didn't subscribe when you post, I probably would have left this thread a little while ago. Because it seems its only OK to express an opinion if your opinion favors the game and company.

I think Shigga has a valid point in his post here. All your paying 20 bucks for is vassal states and "officiality" of the mod. Because lets face it, Warlords is just an official & permanent "mod". To me, this isn't worth 20 bucks. Especially when I payed full price for a game from the same company I was unable to play for a month after giving them my money. Then when I was able to play, it still has issues now 6 months after they have my money with gameplay elements and gameplay itself. Then the fact that they think that shutting up about everything is the best policy concerning customers. That's good for now.

Read this:
Me 1 page back said:
I don't understand this mindset, personally. It seems unrealistic, no offense. If I don't have at least some type of decent standards I set based off of what I know is possible, how am I ever going to be happy to be alive. I enjoy getting excited over new things. If I had to adjust the way I view life every time someone didn't live up to my standards, my life would be not worth living. That is the way life is. It has it's ups and downs.

Now, your probably thinking, "So then whats the problem? Civ 4 is a 'down' for you, get over it." The problem is simply this. I was advertised something I didn't get. The two most annoying things are AI ICS was claimed dead but it isn't. Along with SOD was claimed to be fixed which it wasn't. Which in my eyes = false advertising. A valid point held up in courts. Civ 4 doesnt even feel like a strategy game anymore to me. Or at least not in single player. It is a game where your goal is to give the AI all kinds of rediculous deals that it wouldn't even be willing to accept all in the name of a few measly modifiers while you tech race for a spaceship, pump up culture, or simply to hope they vote for you in the coming elections at UN time. However, the "diplomatic" way to win is honestly a poor man's domination victory. I don't see the difference between buying the votes or taking them.

Then the other route is pick 1-2 friends and go for domination, which isn't hard because the AI doesn't know any decent strategies on how to fight a war. Religion was introduced, but this really has no impact on gameplay other than modifiers. There is a big fat whoopty-do. There is no real decent strategy in this as by the time you start needing these modifiers everyone discovers Liberalism and goes for free religion for the most part. This either hurts (minor) you if you have been using religion as a tool for strategy or gives you a benefit (also minor) in relations if it has been used against you. Religion has no real depth to it, why is it in there? I thought this is what game designers ask themselves when considering if something should be included in a game.

-QUOTE BOX-

-snipped-However, what most of us are stating is we bought a game that is not worth the money paid out. Firaxis will not get anymore of my money for a little while until I feel that they have made product I can trust. I used to see the Firaxis logo as a given I could trust the quality. I don't now. As to the bolded statement. In your opinion then why not just not have standards and that solves the problem.

King Flevance said:
Having read that, it should point out that "us" refers to those posting that are unhappy with Civ 4.

OK. So your statement is: "Most of those who are unhappy with Civ4 think that Civ4 wasn't worth the money."

That's a vacuous statement, since it's true of every product. "Most of those who are unhappy with World of Warcraft think that WOW wasn't worth the money." "Most of those who are unhappy with Ford minivans think that Ford minivans aren't worth the money." "Most of those who are unhappy with Sony laptop computers feel that Sony laptop computers aren't worth the money." If you restrict to only the people who don't like something, then of course they are the ones who don't feel it's worth the cost.

Civ IV was certainly worth the cost for me. I've been nothing but entertained by the game. I don't find it to be perfect, but I do find it to be sure-fire fun. Games I don't like I drop and move on. Life's just too short for me to do otherwise. I'm excited by the prospect of playing Warlords.

DaviddesJ said:
OK. So your statement is: "Most of those who are unhappy with Civ4 think that Civ4 wasn't worth the money."

That's a vacuous statement, since it's true of every product. "Most of those who are unhappy with World of Warcraft think that WOW wasn't worth the money." "Most of those who are unhappy with Ford minivans think that Ford minivans aren't worth the money." "Most of those who are unhappy with Sony laptop computers feel that Sony laptop computers aren't worth the money." If you restrict to only the people who don't like something, then of course they are the ones who don't feel it's worth the cost.

Yes that is my statement. Who cares if it is vacuous? That one sentence is suppose to invalidate every point I made on that previous post because it was redundant? Or any other post I ever make. Because I called a lemon a lemon? How about people that say "A cheat is a cheat is a cheat is a cheat." Or were you just wanting to let us all know what vacuous means?

If anything it means my posts hold more truth in them. :p I calls 'em like I sees 'em. The reason I said that statement was the previous poster had said that we as the consumer are partly at fault for buying the product. Because we should have expected to be let down for our money from a company that as far as I am concerned had never done this before. I trusted Firaxis to be the worthy company....

You know what, just go back and read the post. This is what I am talking about towards the end of it. "Mr. Kewl Phanz0r" comes in and has a tiny issue with 1 statement I posted and wants to get into a long scale debate over the validity of my posts because of 1 statement that is "vacuous".

I was one of the lucky b*stards that had no problems with their ATI Card, it ran out of the box. BUT I have to support Zombie, the forum was AWASH after the initial release with ppl complainig that cIV wouldn't function properly or function at all bc of their ATI cards.

Also, I still experience the occasional CTD, so I can say that cIV works mostly fine but still has to have some debugging.

I also remember as I was one of them. LOL I remember a couple people specifically from that time that their extremities is what helped me not be so frustrated myself. Seriously, some of those people had a great sense of humor, even if it was in poor tastes and demeaning. I don't see many of them now though.

I remember night 1 of release. The ATI stuff was wild. Luckily, for some people the unpak tool fixed their issues. There was a LOT of people with ATI cards having huge issues for 2 weeks until 1.09 came out. Alot dropped off after that, including myself until 1.52. I think alot of the people from the initial release have just gave up on it.

DaviddesJ said:
With what ATI card, and what drivers, is the question. Certainly the game worked fine out of the box for most people with reasonably current ATI graphics cards.
Well, in this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=133132 which was opened by Ainwood at October 26th at 10:22 PM, within the first hour some 15 people stated to have a non-working game. The cards concerned were 9550s, 9600s, 9800s and an X700. Not the spearheads but not completely outdated cards, either.

DaviddesJ said:
The King, the Commander, and you. The Commander seems to hate all things Firaxis regardless of price, and you seem pretty much in the same camp. So I don't think he's even managed to achieve "most" of those three.

P.S. Why is it that the people with the least cogent opinions have the most grandiose titles? Someone should write a dissertation on that.
a) I don't hate most things from Firaxis regardless of price, I hate flaws from Firaxis due to poor quality.
I think there are quite some good reasons why the modding sub-forums are meanwhile more crowded than the general forum.
Many people detect bad balancing, missing items and all kind of general flaws in a game which allegedly got almost two years of development and is based on the experience of 15 years ot that genre.

b) Why is it that the typical fanboy falls flat on his nose, when he tries to confute simple statements (hint: man-made items to be seen from space)? Someone should write a dissertation on that.

To be more clear so that even Davidwhoever understands it: trying to indicate something (whatever it may be) by making use of other people's internet nicknames only proves that you have complete lost any argument to throw into the discussion.

Back to the Warlords topic:
The only two really new ideas seem to be the vassal states and the moving camp of the Mongolian scenario.
The Warlord unit is just a copy of the Great General which has been introduced by modders some months before since it was a clearly missing game option. And I have to agree with everyone wondering about a statement that "at the end of the development phase" they detected that such an option might be missing.
Unique buildings seem to be a new idea, yet nothing which couldn't be achieved with the current game options already.
Then we get some new traits which have been heavily discussed already, regarding their balancing.
And finally we get some new leaders for the new nations, and some for existing nations. For other nations (to the best of my knowledge, especially for those which only have one leader currently) we don't get new leaders.
So, in Warlords, we will have nations with three leaders to chose from, nations with two leaders and nations with only one leader. What's the point of that?

Which of those items will cause the most rewriting of current coding? I think most of us expect that it will be the vassal state.
For a given timespan the area of the vassal state will count for you as far as domination is concerned. You will get some if not all of the vassal taxation income and it seems that you may make use of at least some of his units.

To do so, you have to make another nation a vassal. This indicates that you have to bring him to the edge of distinction before he will accept this, or you will have to become that much powerful that he volunteeringly decides to get protected by you.

As many have reported here and in other forums, currently the AI may even refuse to spend a single tech in exchange for survival. So, the complete logic of AI behaviour has to be changed, or the vassal state approach simply will not work. And what about the human player?
I have to admit that I completely miss how becoming a vassal to the AI should be anything near to fun for the human player. So, until further info about this concept, it seems to be completely tailored to the human player.

I have to admit that I am very sceptical about this, because I hardly see this working.

Therefore, Warlords won't hit my computer, at least not in the beginning. Maybe after some price reductions (and under the assumption that most future mods will make use of WL-features).

Commander Bello said:
Well, in this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=133132 which was opened by Ainwood at October 26th at 10:22 PM, within the first hour some 15 people stated to have a non-working game. The cards concerned were 9550s, 9600s, 9800s and an X700. Not the spearheads but not completely outdated cards, either.

Oh, 15 out of thousands. That's mostly everybody.

AlCosta15 said:
Oh, 15 out of thousands. That's mostly everybody.
You don't get it, do you? 15 people in just the first hour.

Man, is it compulsory to be mentally disabled to become a fanboy?

I'm not a fanboy. I just hate people who complain that Firaxis sucks when only a limited amount of people are having problems are try to make it seem like everybody's having that problem.

Zombie69 said:
prof_geoff_tate said:
Of course economic utility/cost-benefit analyses take morality into account.
But not the other way around. Morality and legality have no regard for value. Since i'm talking about morality and legality here (not economics), value is irrelevent.

But legality does take value into account! Jurisprudence is all about (or at the very least can be explained via) the allocation of economic value, as discussed earlier -- despite whatever vague conceptions of "justice" people might have. Some legal issues -- like minimum wage or anti-trust -- contain a more obvious connection to economic value than others. But make no mistake, every legal issue, from clean air standards to criminal sentencing guidelines, has "regard for value."

And morality, as all-encompassing as it is, certainly takes value into account. Even if you are a moral absolutist, anything -- including value propositions -- can be argued in moral terms. Take the question: "Is it morally right to charge (or pay) $100 for a hamburger?" Regardless of how obvious one thinks the answer to this question is, it is a moral question about value that can legitimately be discussed. Anything can be discussed in moral terms.

But even assuming for the moment that morality and legality do not take "value" into account, that wouldn't necessarily make a value/utility analysis irrelevant. Such an analysis would only become irrelevant if, additionally, it did not encompass morality and legality. By way of analogy, the fact that Paris does not encompass France doesn't make France irrelevant in discussing Paris, because France encompasses Paris -- Paris is part of France. Similarly, the fact, if true, that morality and legality do not take economics into account would not make economics irrelevant in discussing morality and legality if, as I claim, "economic utility/cost-benefit analyses take morality [and legality] into account" -- i.e., morality and legality form part of the economic analysis.

And they do because of the definition of "utility." As it applies to decision-making, utility is designed to capture every good or bad potential effect (as perceived by the decision-maker) of a potential decision. Predicted bad effects -- predicted negative utility -- would include, for instance, incurring criminal sanctions or behaving in a way that does not comport with one's moral belief system. The rational actor will weigh her own expected positive utility against her own expected negative utility in making a decision. If expected positive utility outweighs expected negative utility, she will enter into the decision -- like the decision to by cIV Warlords. Some people here are not going to buy Warlords for that very reason. I'm not passing judgment on that decision. I'm simply pointing out that value/utility is indeed a relevant concept -- morality is a personal value system and legality is a societally sanctioned one -- and mentioning what I believe to be one of the implications of that fact (the self-creation of negative utility).

Perhaps the value you place on certain things -- like the value you place on defect-free software -- is infinite, leading you to look at those things in black-and-white terms. But it is a valuation nonetheless (and I suspect that it's not infinite if you are willing to buy $40 software without being 100% certain in advance that it is defect-free -- even if you expected only a 1% chance of the software being defect-free to your desired standards, that decision would indicate that, if you were consistent in your decision-making, you would be willing to pay $4,000 for defect-free software).

"Morality," "legality," and "value" all have different meanings, but that doesn't make them mutually exclusive concepts. It certainly doesn't mean that a question "about" one of them is not a question "about" another (Is it right to keep prisoners at Guantanamo? Is it legal? What is the societal cost?). Perhaps you find that phrasing your argument in moral terms brings your motivation across more clearly. But it doesn't make analyzing the situation in terms of value any less relevant.

Zombie69 said:
prof_geoff_tate said:
And selling defective products isn't illegal, at least in the U.S.
Never said it was.

Am I misconstruing what you meant when you said "Selling a defective product is wrong and it's actually illegal in any other field but video games"?

Zombie69 said:
But selling defective products and then refusing to fix them is illegal, and this is the case we're facing here. It's just that in the video game industry, they let it go because almost everyone does it. In any other industry, something like this wouldn't fly

It's not illegal to sell defective products and then to refuse to fix them. Rather, generally speaking, to the extent that defective products create real harm to a consumer and the consumer was not made aware of the defects (note this latter point, in particular, which is usually dealt with via run-of-the-mill disclaimers), companies might be held liable for the actual resulting harm. But even then the companies would still be very much within their rights to continue producing and selling those products -- they would just have to be willing to bear the resulting costs.

You'll find plenty of "defective" products in every industry (what is a used car, for instance, if not a "defective" product when held to a standard of perfection?). Most producers and sellers will try to refuse to fix those defects. They'll only fix them if doing so is in their own best interests -- for instance, because fixing them will generate repeat business, avoid negative PR, or avoid a potentially larger payout in a class action lawsuit. But frequently they'll just make it clear that it might be defective in the first place and that they aren't going to fix it if it does turn out to be defective. Such is life. The consumer's position in the marketplace has improved over the past couple hundred years, but it hasn't reached the point that producing or selling defective products is illegal. I seriously doubt that it ever will, since consumers would be shooting themselves in the foot if they were to (be able to) push that far.

In any case, I commend you for sticking to your guns. :)

King Flevance said:
prof_geoff_tate said:
Well, that would be one thing you could do. But what you should really do is lower your expectations, not your standards -- in other words, adjust your beliefs about whether people are going to live up to your standards.

I mean, it's up to you, and it ultimately depends on what you want out of life. You can hold your parents to unrealistic standards, but you probably won't have a good relationship with them. You'll think they sucked as parents.
I don't understand this mindset, personally. It seems unrealistic, no offense.

None taken. After all, I am simply advocating setting realistic expectations of the world around you -- such as how your parents or your software will perform relative to your standards. So the fact that you find my advocacy of realistic expectations "unrealistic" similarly challenges my understanding. :)

King Flevance said:
If I don't have at least some type of decent standards I set based off of what I know is possible, how am I ever going to be happy to be alive. I enjoy getting excited over new things. If I had to adjust the way I view life every time someone didn't live up to my standards, my life would be not worth living. That is the way life is. It has it's ups and downs.

I'm not advocating setting aside your standards -- just adjusting your expectations (as made clear in the first quote above), i.e., which of your standards you "hold someone to." Things aren't going to live up to your standards. To the extent you expect (not hope or wish) them to, you'll be disappointed -- and, if you could have been more realistic in setting your expectations, you will have effectively disappointed yourself. Or, as I said . . .

King Flevance said:
prof_geoff_tate said:
Hold Firaxis to a standard that exceeds the typical software development standard if you want. I really don't care. I'm just saying that if you do, it sounds like you're going to be disappointed, and, if so, you can in part point the finger at yourself for your disappointment, since it will be caused in part by your own disconnect from reality -- you will have expected someone else to live up to your standards.
Pointing the finger in the first place is useless. It accomplishes nothing. So, the finger pointing is worthless.

That "finger-pointing is worthless" is a truism with which I frequently agree. When you're trying to solve a problem, finding the source of the problem frequently isn't relevant (unless the solution is related to the source), so finger-pointing is indeed "worthless."

But I'm not trying to solve a problem here. In fact, the second of the two primary issues that I have raised is what the source, not the solution, to the "problem" of negative utility is: what is the source of some purchasers' consternation? Thus, the "finger-pointing" -- trying to find the source -- is as worthwhile as you find that issue itself to be. I find the issue interesting. Perhaps you don't (although that would be a little ironic, as the issue seems to bear more relevance to your situation than to mine, since I have derived substantial positive net utility from cIV).

King Flevance said:
However, what most of us are stating is we bought a game that is not worth the money paid out. Firaxis will not get anymore of my money for a little while until I feel that they have made product I can trust. I used to see the Firaxis logo as a given I could trust the quality. I don't now. As to the bolded statement. In your opinion then why not just not have standards and that solves the problem.

I think the course of action you describe is a rational one based on your explanation: you have set realistic expectations relative to your standards (i.e., you expect Firaxis not to live up to them) and are planning your behavior accordingly.

As to the last sentence, I don't find, nor have I claimed, that lowering standards (or expectations, for that matter) "solves the problem" (whatever the problem may be). Adjusting your expectations -- with or without changing your standards -- simply prevents you from deriving needless negative utility from your decisions. Perhaps "realistic" negative utility will remain: maybe once you take a realistic look at Firaxis, you'll decide you don't like their products. But whether you end up buying their products or not, you will have reduced the negative utility you experience that is attributable to unrealistic expectations. As a result, you will be more likely to make decisions that you ultimately find satisfying -- whether the decision be to buy a product or not to buy a product.

As an example, you don't have to abandon the standards to which you hold automotive manufacturers in order to realize that you are, in fact, buying a 1998 Ford Focus. Deluding yourself into expecting something other than a 1998 Ford Focus will mean that you have effectively disappointed yourself -- in other words, created negative utility for yourself. The same principle applies to software purchases.

King Flevance said:
I am merely relaying some negative feedback into the community so that the rediculous statements that make me think "Civ4 iz liek totally kewl, every1 should own 16 copies!!!oneoneleven" are at least equaled with valid points rather than just saying that because 1 person likes it, you may not. Civ 4 is not as great as some people make it out to be. It has many problems that need addressing. These discussions turn negative because "Mr. Kewl Phanz0r" gets pissed if we bring up valid statements that put a bad mark on the game. Although, I will admit that some people start threads with hostility expressed, the mods tend to shut them down fast as a flame/troll thread as they are posting hostility towards a game on that game's fan boards.

As I've repeatedly said, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from expressing their views, be they positive or negative. I'm just pointing out (1) the rational-actor cost-benefit analysis provides insight into some of the feelings vented on this board, and (2) that some measure of anger is likely irrationally directed towards Firaxis (on account of unrealistic expectations).

It is a slightly more in-depth analysis than that of the cherished dichotomy of "fanboys" vs. "critics," but I think rightfully so -- at least for those who care about making satisfying purchases in the future. As you seem to.

[Not addition to debate above, but sincere question:]

Are all additions in Warlords known? -- I'm not talking about features like new leaders, but rather improvements for graphics (compatibility, etc), bug elimination, AI improvements, and such things, which you can't demonstrate in screen shots?

Top Bottom