Warring States (China)

Fanatism

Chieftain
Hi, I'm new here, and this is my first scenario. Hope you like it :crazyeye:

Warring States (China) v1.5
Version required: Conquests 1.22
Time Frame: 579BC to 240BC
MP capable: Unknown

The game begins in 579 B.C. to the unification of China by the Qin Dynasty in 221 B.C. It is nominally considered to be the second part of the Eastern Zhou Dynasty, although the Zhou dynasty itself ended in 256 B.C. Play as one of the states of ancient China, can you follow the footstep of King Shi Huang Di of Qin and unify China under one control?

About version 1.5:
Updates

In game Preview:
Spoiler :

Install Instruction:
1. Unzip War_States.part1.rar and War_States.part2.rar to your conquests ->conquests folder (....\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests\Conquests)

2. You're done with installing! Happy Playing :lol:

Credits and special thanks to:
Firaxis
Straczynski for Wonder Graphics packs
R8XFT for Leaderheads
MeteorPunch for Combined ASIAN City Graphics
Sandris for Ancient Chinese Unit Graphics
Sarevok for Three Kingdom Scenario 1.4 (I used the Map)
Womoks for terrain Graphics
Natural Resources, for its maker (I forgot who)
Ogedei_the_Mad for Asian building graphics
Population small heads for its maker (I forgot who)
Anyone that I forgot to put their name :lol:

Download Link

License:
Free for not commercial use.
Free to distribute.

Wow, looks like this is a worthy scenario. Quality arrows pointing the right directions in a tech tree is always a good sign!

Since I haven't found any critics on this scenario, I have to think how to make this scenario better myself... *sigh* :sad:

I played myself (as Qi) and found out country like Lu, Song, Wei and Han are easily conquered :mad: no challenge at all!

Therefore I plan to remake this scenario.

Changes for new one:
Add technologies
Add units
Add buildings
Add Musics
Cities and its location

I thought people would download it because it looks good just I'm getting my new comp tomorrow so I won't have much time and I want to play AoI

Since I haven't found any critics on this scenario, I have to think how to make this scenario better myself... *sigh* :sad:

Sorry for that, it can take some time until the masses are brought to pay attention ;)

What you have yet looks promising, so I'll try to give some quick advice from what I've seen on the screenshots (without playing yet).
- You could perhaps have a look which custom terrain graphics fit in the scenario's atmosphere, I find the original terrain graphics rather dull. <- forget this, I just saw you already have an optional terrain change
- I see on the map there is a lot of free space around the existing civs. This leads me to the question: Is it possible to found new cities? If yes, I'd suggest to change that, because it would probably result in a desperate spreading by the AI, instead of the internal struggle that marks the period. <- forget that, too, I just saw I already can't build settlers :goodjob:
Additionally you could perhaps add non-playable civs for the states around china, preferably not strong enough to interfere themselves, but possible trading partners, who are in possession of resources that are not available in the central regions themselves. Such resources might be luxuries or "foreign mercenaries", enabling to train special units or similar.
A good idea could be some barbarian (= non-chinese) horsemen: If I remember correctly the first mounted combatants in chinese armies were in fact barbarians.
- Buildings that are always nice to have in a scenario are such that represent craftsmen, who process natural resources, that have to be available in city radius. These could give either production or tax bonusses and I'm sure there were some innovations around that time that could be utilised.

Just some general thoughts. Perhaps I'll later or at the weekend play some turns. I'm definately downloading.

Edit: I don't exactly understand why it is necessary to replace the unit32 and tech chooser folder in conquests\art? Usually scenarios are able to use them from the scenario's own art folder, don't they?

Hey Fanatism,

I downloaded your scenario and browsed through all the tech icons (something I do with all the mods I download). I found one minor glitch on the crossbow icon which I liked very much and had never seen before. The creator made the fairly common mistake of making the small icon by shrinking the large icon after it had already been indexed. I made a new one for the very worthy large icon. Count it my small (current) contribution. :)

First image is a preview with the large icon unchanged, the new icon is in the bottom-right and the old one just above it. Second attachment is the file which will overwrite the old one if/when placed in the tech chooser folder.

Attachments

• !crossbow preview.png
    !crossbow preview.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 244
  • Crossbowsm.pcx
    1.9 KB · Views: 136
Hi – hope this isnt considered a bump but no one has reported a play test on this scenario. Thought I’d give it a go and picked Qin, Emperor level. It went really smoothly – good to have reasonably detailed civilopedia entries and the tech tree was well thought out. My knowledge of the period is average so I learnt a lot – the scenario and tech tree unfolded like a story (Plotinus’ words ?), with good progression from the Bronze to Iron Age and a good use of units. Played cautiously to get a feel and won on points having conquered all the states between the rivers and some of the southern lands. Ended up with 39,240 points with Chu second on 19,430. Only had 16 percent of World area though and would do better in future with a more aggressive start. I doubt if I could unite all China though in the turns available. My main rival throughout the game were Chu in the south, though late game Zhao became more dangerous. This was really fun to play – you have to start small and take one or two cities at a time, rest, then repeat. Later you become more powerful and a serious threat to the other states. I like the fact that you really have to make good use of your troops as you initially cant afford to maintain many until later in the game.

Problems and suggestions
• make city and worker graphics single era only – it was a bit disconcerting attacking modern looking cities near end game.
• Spy unit could be too powerful – the human player can plunder the AI too easily with no fear of detection. Perhaps some unit could detect invisible.
• Bronze pikeman doesnt upgrade - check the upgrade box.
• Terracotta Army – should note in the pedia entry that this produces units.
• At the end of the last turn you get an error message “missing error in ...\text\Pediaicons.txt” Happy_Race_Qin. A check in the file shows you have “...Race_Race_Qin” for this and two other entries. I corrected this but Ive not played a second game yet to check if the correction worked.
• Remove pollution from the Iron Works (unless you feel this is integral)
• Unit graphics – you made really good use of Sandris’ units. For the others I’d consider replacing the starting Militia (Warrier unit) with something less stone age ? This is a matter of taste though. I’m also wondering if the Armoured Pikeman could be replaced with something like Utahjazz7’s Qin Soldier ? The pikeman does fit ok though.
• Early game – you have lots of culture improvements but at this time your cities are small (until irrigation) and its hard to maintain and build troops. Perhaps add an early smithy or forge giving 25 percent more shields ?. This would let you crank out units more regularly and cut down on “dead turns” when you’re waiting for builds to finish.
• Chariots – not sure but they were quite important for the first few hundred years covered by the scenario. Apart from starting units I never built any more as they were too weak compared to other units available. Maybe slightly beef them up compared to the Archer or reduce their cost ? I don’t think the AI built any more either.
• Victory conditions – aim is to unite China so you could possibly lengthen the scenario to 300 turns ? I might have just been too cautious – have you achieved this ???
• Adding another civ to represent the Nomadic nations is a possibility (mentioned in another post). Could add variety but it didn’t affect gameplay as the AI states throughout the game warred constantly.

To sum up – this was great – its good to see a new, well done and professional looking scenario and I hope you do more. I’m certainly going to play this again. I’d be happy for you to jazz up the Three Kingdom’s scenarios (with permission of course). Thanks for your work !

this scenario looks amazing worth to try it ,Thank you Fanatism to put your efforts for this scenario for us :goodjob:

The Warring States v1.5
Hello, the latest version of this scenario is out with changes and improvements.
Hope it will be more enjoyable for you to play.

Scenario features:
Play as one of the eleven states of China in warring states period.
Included with the scenario's tech trees.
Included with complete civilipedia entry.
Unique scenario units, building and wonders.

what's new for 1.5?
Added new technologies.
Added unit graphics.
Added building and wonders.
Added game musics.
Changed cities and it's location according to history.
Removed state Song from the game.
City graphics Changed to single era only.
Fixed end of the last turn errors.
Changed units' strength.
Iron Crossbow units are now avaible for all states.
Extended the game play time to 419 turns.
All states are now playable.
Make the mod installation easier.

Thanks to:
againsttheflow for the crossbow pcx.
Rathvilly for pointing out the errors and test play.

Download:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7847866&postcount=2

Hi I'm new and I just recently restarted to play Civ3 again. This is not meant as a criticism or anything, but I downloaded the scenario and it seems to me that some of the city names may be incorrect. Among them, I pretty sure Beiping (Beijing) was named Ji or Jicheng at the time and Jianye (Nanking) was named Yecheng before being conquered by the Yue and renamed Yuecheng. Taiyuan was likewise called Jinyang and Hanzhong was probably called Nanzheng though I'm not sure about that one.

I like the idea of using Coast for rivers, though it kinda makes the Yangtze delta look really weird. I wonder if it'll cause the AI to send all of their units around the river rather than to try to cross it with boats.

Welcome to the board, and thank you for information. I admit that my knowledge about the geographical and historical aspect of that era is limited :p

I will try to fix those soon. If anyone could help, I mean editing the map, cities names or location to be more accurate. It will be greatly appreciated :goodjob:

Asian building graphics (I forgot who)

I spot my building graphics in there.

By the way, having Buddhism researchable in the Warring States Period is very odd and inaccurate. Buddhism did not come into the the region until the end of the Han Dynasty, a huge gap of a number of centuries. I'd have Legalism there instead; Legalism was the state ideology of the Qin following unification in 221 BCE.

Another oddity you have there is Drama; there isn't much we know about Drama in the early periods, but there aren't any indications of them being common until at least the Song and Yuan periods, a full milennium after the Warring States Period. It is known, however, that feudal lords and courts often had dancers and jesters as entertainers.

This scenario looks outstanding. I've always been a fan of Koei's RTK series and own almost all of them for NES, SNES, PS2, and PS3. I'll give this scenario a try when I get home today.

Hi - glad this is being worked on again - played your last version about 6 times - really enjoyed it and looking forward to giving this another spin ...

Thanks, tech tree need some changes :crazyeye: also I edited the first post, thanks for the city graphics. Anyway how about Tao >.>

After i goggled some I think there are no drama in that period actually.... dancers and other performance usually in banquet.

Daoism was among the competing "Hundred Schools" during the Warring States period; there were many different schools of thoughts attempting to formulate an explanation on how to deal with the chaotic situation. The most prominent of the time were the Confucians, the Legalists (whose teachings grew out of Xunzi's more authoritarian brand of Confucianism and Han Feizi's Machiavellian leanings that attracted Qin Shi Huang Di's attention), the Mohists (who taught universal love and incidentally also developed siege weapons as they would rush to defend cities to protest against aggression), and the Daoists (the school of Laozi and Zhuangzi).

Regarding drama, there are none that we know of until a full millennium later. There's a possibility that scripts or prompts may have been lost (and village entertainers may have developed some form of performance similar to drama to mimic folktales), but actual dramatic theatre arts were not prominent until the Yuan Dynasty (13th century). Rather than having a "Drama" tech, replace it with "Dancers and Entertainers."

Top Bottom