'Westeros' for 'A Game of Thrones' from 'A Song of Ice and Fire' by 'G.R.R. Martin'

black_rose

Warlord
Hi all,

I know the title is a mouth full... so here follows an explanation:

George R.R. Martin is the writer of the highly acclaimed fantasy series 'A Song of Ice and Fire'. The first book of the series is called 'A Game of Thrones' followed by 'A Clash of Kings' and 'A Storm of Swords'. The next book will be called 'A Feast for Crows' and will hopefully be released later this year.

The books deal with intrigue and warfare in Westeros, a medieval/fantasy setting.

I made this map for the following reasons:

1 For me A Song of Ice and Fire is simply thé best fantasy to appear since 1955.
(With only Steven Erikson coming close.)
2 The map as well as the setting lends itself very well for civ because of the many strategic challenges and possibilities.
3 I'm a sucker for maps.

I made the map 70 x 140 for up to 10 civs. Although a huge map can be fun I feel that this size is much more playable.

edit:
now version 1.1 with a changed neck and wall.
added mountain LM terrain

I have some more plans for this, but I will be starting a thread for that later this week in the main c&c forum.

Any comments/help are/is welcome.

Cheers,
Peter

PS The Wall is just a row of mountains now but that will change. Anyone here able to design a 700 feet high 300 miles long (4-5 tiles horizontally) grey blue wall of ice?

Attachments

• westeros.JPG
    westeros.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 6,110
  • Westeros.zip
    16.3 KB · Views: 2,492
  • LMMountains.pcx
    69.1 KB · Views: 991
Very nice... :)

Maybe you should put a request in the C&C forum for the wall tiles.

I agree with you that Martin is one of the best fantasy authors around, along with Janny Wurtz and Guy Gavriel Kay. I've never heard of Erickson and will have to check him out. The map looks great. Do you have plans to do a full mod based on the books?

thanks for the response!

@Steel General

yes I will but there are other more important requests to make. ;)
I have made a placeholder for the wall as you can see. It is not great but it will do for now.

@Hrafnkell

Make sure you do. You won't be disappointed (look for erikson without the c I made a spelling error before). As for my plans yes and no. I would love a full mod as well as some scenarios but I cannot make them on my own. Some thing I just cannot do (units of which we only need a few) and and other things I cannot do on my own because it would take to much time. That's why I'm hoping for some help. Any help really, from ideas to playtesting.

I will be addressing this more in the thread I already announced. For now could someone please tryout the map? :D

The thing is I will only be able to actually play conquests again next week, untill then I only have the editor.

cheers,
Peter

Attachments

• westeros2.JPG
    westeros2.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,465
  • westeros3.JPG
    westeros3.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 1,153
Nice map. I'll be looking for the completed mod once finished. I'd comment more ont he map, but I haven't had time to play any games lately.

Thanks to black_rose for his excellent map, and his leaderheads.

Me and another french have just completed a mod of Westeros, with this map, new tech-tree, new units, new civilopedia, the houses of the books...
Here is a link (in frenchs forums) : http://www.civfr.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=54&t=8179&st=0#entry154494

We have tried to contact black-rose (for his authorization for the map and his leaderheads) but had no response.

However, the mod works only with french version of civilization III (problems with units). But if some people are interested, i could make a english one. (but it would be very long to make a french-->english translation)

I know this is a year old, but I only just read it. I lost the email address that goes with this civfanatics id.

I think it is so cool that you guys did what I never managed. To complete a mod. I would really like to try it sometime. Senturus, I don't know if you are still around, but please let me know.

I had a look at the French forum, but my french is really bad. Does anybody know if the utility advertised in this thread also works the other way round?

Also, we are working on a ASoIaF mod for civ4 right now check it out here

Cheers,
Peter

Sign me up for helping with this one. I am salivating thinking of when the new book will be out and have saturated myself with this great fantasy world.

Very few units would need to be made for a full mod of SoIaF.

anyone else disappointed with a feast for crows, loved the other books but was just a bit let down by this one. Would love to play a mod based on this. there is a couple of short stories available featuring egg, cant at the moment remember where i read them but will try and find out. Hedge Kights as the barbarian units!!!!!!!!!!

anyone else disappointed with a feast for crows, loved the other books but was just a bit let down by this one.

Thats because it was only half a book. The 4th installment got so big that Martin had to slice it into two different books, which is reason why some of the events are out of place in Feast of Crows. A Dance with Dragons is other the half. If you notice, some of the spoiler chapters Martin released for Feast of Crows were never actually in the book. Thats because they are in A dance with dragons.

yup, read that at end of book. was more let down by the overall feel than content. just didn't grip me the way previous books had, four o'clock in morning but need to read one more page stuff. eagerly await dance with dragons however. Erikson is filling the void along with some j v jones......

oh yeah, the hedge knight stories are in a collection called Legends and Legends 2 with foreword by the man himself. Uk.

Thanks to black_rose for his excellent map, and his leaderheads.

Me and another french have just completed a mod of Westeros, with this map, new tech-tree, new units, new civilopedia, the houses of the books...
Here is a link (in frenchs forums) : http://www.civfr.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=54&t=8179&st=0#entry154494

We have tried to contact black-rose (for his authorization for the map and his leaderheads) but had no response.

However, the mod works only with french version of civilization III (problems with units). But if some people are interested, i could make a english one. (but it would be very long to make a french-->english translation)

ohhh, i am interested! ;) have you finished the english version??

Top Bottom