What are GPs for?

Zespri said:
Let's say that your income is 100 and your expenses is 20... More likely that 50gp goes to research and only 30gp to treasury. And if your expenses are 70gp instead, then 50gp goes to research and the deficit of 20gp is taken form treasury. And if you have zero treasury then the game won't let you have your research set to 50% it will automaticaly lower it to 30% so you have no deficit. Right?

I just wonder what happens if even with 0% research you have deficit and no treasury, what then?

You are correct. The income is divided according to the percentages and then allocated to each of the 2 (or 3 if you have a culture slider) categories.

On your second point I am not sure. In Civ III, the game would automatically start selling city buildings, as these each had a maintence cost associated with them, but in Civ IV there is not building maintence, so I am not sure.

Zespri said:
I just wonder what happens if even with 0% research you have deficit and no treasury, what then?

Then some of your units go on strike and are being disbanded. Not something you want to have. ;) In my last game, I was for along time on the brink of a strike. My units pillaged the enemy tiles like mad in order to get some money into my treasury so I could pay them. ;)

Zespri said:
I can tell you why I personaly call it GP, but I'm not sure for the others. I call it GP because that's how people seem to call it on these forums. I haven't played civ much before (I just played a little bit with older versions) so I don't know what is accepted and recognized slang in this community. So I picked my best guess.

Like Krikkitone pointed out, no one says GP and you are probably just confused because of the term GPT (gold per turn).

I'd be interested to know why you "personally call it GP" though! I can think of ways such an acronym might work if you were German or Scandinavian, however in the land of the long white cloud..."gold points"? :crazyeye:

Willowmound said:
Like Krikkitone pointed out, no one says GP and you are probably just confused because of the term GPT (gold per turn).

I'd be interested to know why you "personally call it GP" though! I can think of ways such an acronym might work if you were German or Scandinavian, however in the land of the long white cloud..."gold points"? :crazyeye:
Gold Pieces are used in other games.

Zespri said:
Let's say that your income is 100 and your expenses is 20. your research is 50%. In my original thinking it will leave you with 40gp going to research and 40gp going to treasury. But this is probably not correct. More likely that 50gp goes to research and only 30gp to treasury. And if your expenses are 70gp instead, then 50gp goes to research and the deficit of 20gp is taken form treasury. And if you have zero treasury then the game won't let you have your research set to 50% it will automaticaly lower it to 30% so you have no deficit. Right?

Wrong. Lets say your commerce (the gold coins or bags in the city screen) is 200 total. If your research is set at 50% and you have 50% in taxes. This means that you earn 100 research and 100 gold. Your expenses are then deducted from that 100 gold and what is left is added to your treasury.

Zespri said:
I can tell you why I personaly call it GP, but I'm not sure for the others. I call it GP because that's how people seem to call it on these forums. I haven't played civ much before (I just played a little bit with older versions) so I don't know what is accepted and recognized slang in this community. So I picked my best guess.

I think it's confusing because I use GP to refer to Great Persons or Great People, and to the points (GP points, or GPP) needed to produce them. :king:

LI'd be interested to know why you "personally call it GP" though! I can think of ways such an acronym might work if you were German or Scandinavian, however in the land of the long white cloud..."gold points"? :crazyeye:

Ok, ok, I surrender, there is no reason to call them GP, I just got confused. :) Although back then, when I wrote the original post, I'm sure there was. ;) And yes, while I'm neither german nor scandinavian, english is not my first language.

EDIT: After reading the rest of the thread: Gold Pieces, yes.

Ok, ok, I surrender, there is no reason to call them GP, I just got confused. :) Although back then, when I wrote the original post, I'm sure there was. ;) And yes, while I'm neither german nor scandinavian, english is not my first language.

EDIT: After reading the rest of the thread: Gold Pieces, yes.

But as has been already mentioned the GP is often used as acronym for Great People or Great Person. I think that is the usual meaning for GP and therefore it is really confusing to use it for another meaning.

i'm still slightly confused between commerce and gold.

Ok, here we go:
Cottages generate Commerce. Trade routes generate Commerce.

Shrines generate Gold. Not to be confused w/ the gold resource (which, if in your city radius and worked, generate Commerce :lol: )

A single coin represents 1 Commerce.
A money bag represents 5 Commerce.
A stack of coins represent Gold.

Commerce is change into Beakers :science:, Gold :gold:, or Culture :culture:, depending on the sliders in the upper left corner. For example. Say your sliders are set on 50% science, 20% culture, and that you have 10 commerce from your worked tiles and trade routes. You would then be getting 5 beakers, 3 gold, and 2 culture.

This is BEFORE and modifiers (Banks, markets, etc for Gold; Library, Univ, etc for Beakers, Various wonders for Culture) Shrines generate Gold (not Commerce). The Gold from this will be modified by the banks, markets, etc. that modify your Gold from Commerce. In other words, the Gold from the Shrine is added to the Gold from Commerce BEFORE the modification by these buildings.

Harbors and the Bureaucracy civic are about the onle things that affect Commerce. Harbors increase the commerce from trade routes. Bureaucracy adds 50% commerce to your capital (only).

Top Bottom