What Civ are you most surprised is missing?

You mean the achievement of Celts is what they didn't destroy what was built before them? Celts themselves appeared in about 800BC and arrived to British Islands later.
Actually, all things considered, I think that is actually an accomplishment. I mean, the Egyptians and Arabs even plundered the Pyramids of Giza for stone, so not plundering masonry as tempting as Stonehenge and Newgrange may be considered an accomplishment. :p What's even more amazing is that they somehow survived the English. ;)

you can see how good mongols were for the chinese economy

and russia isnt on the graph, its southern parts were literally devasted
genghis khan killed 10% of the world population, its like 5 hitlers
stop praising those barbarians, its an insult to humanity

Oh come on and I guess Spain shouldn't be a playable civ for what they did to the native populations of America. Mongolia is clearly one of the most influential empires of all time... Difference is Hitler's greater germany lasted maybe 10 years. While Mongol empire lasted over 150 years and created many off shoot empires such as the Russians and the Mughal empire. Notice the similarity in name between Mongol and Mughal. Mughalians were Islamic Mongolians who conquered parts of the middle east and india.

And for the land trade routes, which were vital European growth. Before Mongolia stabilized land trade routes, in order for Europe to trade with Asia, they had to go through Arabia. horsehocky Venice became the wealthiest per capita nation in the world just because they were willing to trade with Muslim merchants. Mongolia existed between 1206-1368. The main crusades ended in 1204. Do you think its a coincidence that once Europeans had an alternate route to trade with Asia they stopped trying to take over the Middle East. During the time Mongolia was there Europe experienced great growth and prosperity. After the fall of the Mongol Empire, European history is marked by internal wars, famine, and disease. I mean obviously there was more to the decline of Europe (little ice age, black plague) during the late medieval ages, but the fall of Mongolia did play some role. And when Europe finally got back on its feet, why do you its number one goal was to find a new sea route to Asia?

Truth is what does every super power to ever exist have in common? (besides China for obvious reasons) They controlled the world's trade routes. Egypt, Babylon, Persia, Greece, Rome, Arabia, Mongolia,(after Columbus) Spain, Portugal, France, England and now America. If I were deciding which civs would be playable it would be all above mentioned including at least Russia and India. That would be more or less be every World Superpower to ever exist.

I remember thinking that perhaps Persia's quite blatant exclusion was because the developers had some expansion mechanic that Persia is an ideal candidate to showcase. We'll have to see...

The Ottomans for sure. Not only were they a massive power, a fan favorite, and rife with unique culture which could make for interesting mechanics or abilities, but with the release of CERTAIN OTHER GAMES around the same time as Civ 6's release I would've thought the inclusion of the Ottomans would be a given given (sorry for the repetition) the increased public interest in them over the next few months while that CERTAIN OTHER POPULAR GAME FEATURING THE OTTOMANS AS A MAJOR FACTION remains widely played among the majority of the gaming community. Hell just from a purely marketing perspective it seems odd that they'd neglect that bit of popularity piggybacking, let alone from a historical perspective. It's practically throwing away free money.

Last edited:
Oh come on and I guess Spain shouldn't be a playable civ for what they did to the native populations of America. Mongolia is clearly one of the most influential empires of all time... Difference is Hitler's greater germany lasted maybe 10 years. While Mongol empire lasted over 150 years and created many off shoot empires such as the Russians and the Mughal empire. Notice the similarity in name between Mongol and Mughal. Mughalians were Islamic Mongolians who conquered parts of the middle east and india.

And for the land trade routes, which were vital European growth. Before Mongolia stabilized land trade routes, in order for Europe to trade with Asia, they had to go through Arabia. **** Venice became the wealthiest per capita nation in the world just because they were willing to trade with Muslim merchants. Mongolia existed between 1206-1368. The main crusades ended in 1204. Do you think its a coincidence that once Europeans had an alternate route to trade with Asia they stopped trying to take over the Middle East. During the time Mongolia was there Europe experienced great growth and prosperity. After the fall of the Mongol Empire, European history is marked by internal wars, famine, and disease. I mean obviously there was more to the decline of Europe (little ice age, black plague) during the late medieval ages, but the fall of Mongolia did play some role. And when Europe finally got back on its feet, why do you its number one goal was to find a new sea route to Asia?

I'm not a great fan of Spain either but its actually far more worthy than Mongolia. They have a pretty interesting culture, and there was a number of notable spanish writers and scientists in the history. How many mongols can you name who became famous for anything besides killing people in great numbers? The game is called Civilization, and killing people isnt really a civilized thing. If there was a barbarian stage in the game or unique barbarian tribes i wouldnt be against Mongols but now they just dont fit imho. Btw those Incas and Aztecs were dying mostly of disease not spanish genocide.

What was vital for european growth? Silk and spices which were rising 10k times (no exaggregation) in value along the trade route? How's that? The trade actually siphoned precious metals from Europe what harmed its economies (you know, metal money are much more efficient for facilitating exchanges than feathers or shells or hides or whatever before the paper money), since the Roman times. And what were they getting in return - some pretty-pretty for the nobles, zero economical value. It was like selling glass beads to native americans. As for Russia the Mongols devasted the most developed region of it, and the rise of Moscow wasnt something good really. Its like if North Korea nuked Tokio along with some of the best cities in Japan and then installed a puppet communist regime in the rest of the country which would then mature and break off. A disaster for economy and culture. Russia is still impeded with its mongolian heritage today in 21th century.

Last edited:
Top Bottom